1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New monitor advice

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by General Panic, Mar 30, 2004.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi guys :hiya:
    Thinking of ditching my LG 17" tft screen in favour of a CRT screen.
    Having problems on DOD , BF1942 with brightness levels. Tried uping downing etc but can't seem to get a good balance.I'm always bobbing up and down in front of my monitor like a mad thing and enough's enough.
    I used to have a decent Hitachi 19" CRT before i "upgraded" to my tft screen and would like at least that size again if not 21".
    Cost not too much of an issue , can go to £550.
    Any personal recomendations from anyone?
    Harrisuk , if you read this could you tell me how good the 21" model you use is for DOD?

It could just be i bought the crappiest tft going and if anyone can recomend a 17/19" one that's good for games i might be persuded as the space saving aspect of these monitors i really like.

Cheers

Panic

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    I still think the picture from a CRT is better than a tft although they take up a lot more room. I think the monitor is one place most of your investment should be placed and a good one will last a fair few systems out.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    My Hercules TFT is much better than any CRT I have used, I guess it is just personal opinion, I wouldn't go back to CRT.

4. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Same here............. got a Dell 18.1 TFT, its the best thing I've ever bought 'computer wise'
    Much better than my old CRT's I've had in the past even for gaming. Drive this at its native 1280x1024 and the image is pin sharp.

5. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell 20.1" here. Gobbles up 1600x1200 res AND has 16ms response. No kidding! 595 smackers brand new from an awefully nce chap in Scotland.

6. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    tft are awfull for gaming !!
    unless you pay over the odds for a decent one (£400+) the refresh rate on them is so low graphics are chopped in half when running in high resolution, especialy on fps games
    if you are a hardcore gamer or a graphics designer then CRT is the only one you should have

7. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    What dodgy TFTs have you been using then Solar?

I've had a 17" TFT on my home PC for a couple of years and game on it non-stop. I don't find that 'graphics are chopped in half'.

The only thing I can find is that it's difficult to read some text if it's scrolling about the screen but that's all.

I would suggest that you actually use a modern TFT screen before you slate them.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Question: when you see dedicated gamer at competition meetings which sort of monitors do they use TFT’s or CRT?

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    They have no money because they spend all their times gaming!

I would have said 6 months ago that CRT was the only way. I am converted my Hercules monitor is far better than my CRT, 20ms, high contrast ratio, clearer and sharper and truly flat display.

I play CS, UT2004 etc on it and have found no real impact to my gamesplaying. The benefits I have reaped is lack of eye soreness from cathode rays!

I play roughly 1-2 hours or more weeknights and can play up to 8 hours on a weekend if I got nothing else going on, I see no problems with it.

Sure you have to pay much more, but it is worth it in my mind.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    On the contrary all there equipment has to be the best for gaming regardless of jobs or other outgoings.

11. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I think from what i've heard spending decent money to get a good modern tft screen might be my best bet. My older LG has a max res of 1024*768 , newer tft's can achieve a higher resolution right?
    In my Pc Zone mag their best buy screen's been a Hitachi model for quite some time , i'll dig around for some prices now.

Cheers for the advice.

Panic

12. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,348
    My Hyundai Q17 that I bought from the classifieds on this forum is excellent. Playing Max Payne 2 and other FPS games I get none of the problems mentioned in posts above.

Set to 1280 resolution gives a great picture.

See here for more details: http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/20030626/index.html

Greg

13. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Got to agree.............. a monitor set at it correct native resolution for a start makes a massive difference. To 'Tar' all TFT's with the same "bluring" "choppy graphics" "slow refresh times" brush is totally wrong.

CRT's are no longer king in the gaming world...............

Anyway what else can a gamer blame when he's at the annual LAN gaming party and he suffer's a head shot on URT from a 11 yr old newbie. :rolleyes: :devil:

Words like "Tools, workman, and bad" spring to mind :rotfl: :rotfl:

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I guess it's a matter of cost..my sony trinitron 21" CRT only cost £250, provides a superb, sharp, flat image at 1800 x 1440 (the highest my card goes) and all other resolutions below. I have a corner desk so the back of the monitor is in space that wouldn't be used anyway. The monitor runs nicely at 144htz and is fantastic for gaming.

It just wouldn't be good sense for me to shell out on a TFT screen as it would probably cost something like £500 - £600 for one with the same size screen. I guess if you are really limited space wise (i.e. no corner unit) then they are a great space saver though.

15. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    was this a shop? - seems a good price for your quoted spec.

A few questions about the current state of TFT technology if anyone can answer.

1. 'Dead Pixels' - is this something that only happens during the screens production, or could it also develop over time?.

2. 'Dead Pixels' - do the more expensive TFT's (say £400+) all now guarantee NO dead pixels?

cheers

Dean

16. Bondy007

Bondy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While watching "Modern Gamer 2" I saw that the quakecon Lan event in america had 21" Samsung Syncmaster CRTs (the monitors seemed to be provided by quakecon, players just bring their rigs)
    Which I was pleased at because I have the 19" version of that monitor

So if the the pr0 gamers are happy with CRT's then they're good enough for me

17. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you think i would be saying it for nothing ?

18. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    While looking at products i found this set in Dixons today http://***********/2bzu4 . Is anyone using an LCD as a pc monitor?. Bit pricey but a good size if useable and half price according to info in the store.
    Connections seem a bit linmited and not much info as usual on Dixons web site.

Cheers
    Panic

19. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

a couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet.

1) A TFT that is decent for gaming has to have a response time below 20ms otherwise you will notice smearing on fast moving action

2) TFT Monitors always should be in their native resolution
    ( 15'' 1024*768, 17'' 1280*968, etc.)

3) If you have a graphics card with a DVI input always pair it with
    a TFT that has a DVI connector, far superior picture quality.

4) LCD is fine for about 5 years, after that the it will inevitably go darker.
    Most LCD manufacturers give a lifespan of about 30000 hours
    before that happens.

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    My problem with TFT monitors (and the reason I haven't bought one yet) is that I need to do a lot of programming work on it as well as gaming, so I would need a 17" TFT monitor to look good displaying text at 1024x768 as well as gaming at a higher resolution. At the moment I use 19" CRT monitors and find them most comfortable at 1024x768.

21. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ok , after some more research the Dixons machine has a rubbish max res so no good as a pc monitor though probably quite acceptable as a tv. Now found an lcd on Dell's web site that while only 17" seems far more suited as a pc monitor and loads of connections. http://***********/3av5g

Panic

22. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    NONE of my ex clan mates use tft's for gameing - the response times and resolution restrictions make them a handcap.
    Having said that - unless you want to play at a serious level then it won't matter 'that' much.

I still play cs but not as seriously anymore, mainly playing wc3 mod - some players like playing in low resolutions for maxing out frame rates, but with the engine being old and new gfx cards you can top out frame rates even at 1600x1200 which is what I play at.
    This means I have more sniping definition with head pixels -something I don't get from all but the most expensive TFT's.
    Money is tight now - but when I last upgraded it wasn't - I used to trade in graphics cards for the latest as each one came out - but I've stuck with my 21" IIyama pro ..... its a nightmare to take to lans along with my vapochil box ..... but I don't see the point in takeing lighter but inferior equipement all that way to play at a disadvantage.
    TFT's look pretty - take less space and are easy to transport .... if you are an average or lower gamer ( meaning competetion wise ) they are reasonable option.
    If its for pure function, you don't plan to move it much and are not too short of desk space then stick with a quality large CRT.

23. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd been hanging around for a while waiting for an LCD with 1600x1200 res and a decent response time. Most of the available monitors at the time had 25-30ms response times which weren't ideal for gaming. Then late last year LG/Philips brought out a 20" panel that achieved the holy grail of a 16ms response time albeit at a cost of about a grand! Dell use the same panel in their 20.1" 2001FP TFT monitor which costs considerably less. In my case I managed to buy one from a guy in Perth who had a dozen examples for sale which, at the time, weren't available in the UK.

I have to say I'm well pleased with the monitor. Far Cry looks lush at native res and not a dead pixel in sight. I haven't heard or read anything that would suggest that Dell have a 'no dead pixel' policy for this monitor, but mine's as clean as a whistle.