New modem/router to use with VM

DT79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

At present I’m using a super hub 3 in modem mode with an Apple AirPort Extreme (latest wireless AC version). The reason for this is to get greater wireless range than the SH3 can manage, to cover the whole house, which it does reasonably well.

The problem is that I am getting an issue with ‘double NAT’. Now, I’m a bit of a dunce when it comes to such matters and I generally bumble my way through anything networking related, but I’m told that this is probably because both the SH3 (even in modem mode and it can’t be configured) and the router both have a firewall and both are performing ‘network address translation’. This causes a problem occasionally when the SH3 has to be rebooted because it takes a while for the AE to settle down and get over the fact that something else is also performing NAT; it also causes a more inconvenient issue in that my Plex media server cannot be reached from outside my network (the error message in Plex says it’s the double NAT that’s the issue). I also get some occasional instability with devices randomly dropping their connections (sometimes within my network, sometimes to the internet). Most of my media devices are connected via Ethernet, and have static IPs, so I can’t understand why it’s happening, but I can only assume the modem and/or router are responsible.

So, I thought I’d resolve the situation and treat myself to an upgrade by buying a new modem/router and replacing both the SH3 and AE with a single, premium, device. What I’m after is a router that I can plug the VM coax cable straight into, which has the range to cover a whole 4 bedroom house from one corner of the ground floor and at least 4 Ethernet ports.

I’ve had a look an it is actually very hard to figure out which ones that mention being for ‘cable’ actually have the coax input. In many cases even the photo of the rear panel, if there is one, isn’t clear enough to tell.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

You can't. You can only use a VM supplied modem (this could be standalone or in superhub).
The superhub in modem mode does not carry out any NAT.
What IP address range is the WAN picking up on the Airport Extreme?

You can't. You can only use a VM supplied modem (this could be standalone or in superhub).
The superhub in modem mode does not carry out any NAT.

Ok thanks for clarifying, that’s annoying.

The IP addresses assigned to devices on my LAN by the AirPort Extreme are in the range 10.0.1.X. Is that what you mean?

No, I mean the IP address on the WAN port. It should pickup an IP address via DHCP from the VM network in the range of 82.27.X.X. If you get an address in the range 192.128.X.X it is very likely you are not in modem mode.
In modem mode the router is disabled, no wifi,no NAT and only port 1 is enabled.

No, I mean the IP address on the WAN port. It should pickup an IP address via DHCP from the VM network in the range of 82.27.X.X. If you get an address in the range 192.128.X.X it is very likely you are not in modem mode.
In modem mode the router is disabled, no wifi,no NAT and only port 1 is enabled.

OK I understand, I’ve just set off on a week long business trip, so will check the IP address when I get back. However I can say 2 things for certain: I put the VM router in modem mode (and it says it’s in modem mode), and ‘double NAT’ is the error getting shown. Plus all the other characteristics of it being in modem mode are present and correct.

I’ve just checked and it is an 82.’ IP address, so definitely in modem mode.

I would try temporarily plugging your device directly into the SH to try to isolate the SH from the issue you are seeing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom