New models releases

af88

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a question for folks in the know.
I’ve been looking at some low/mid range AVRs and noticed that the current models are getting on a bit. I know there’s a chip shortage and other issues like 4K/8k chips etc
The likes of the yamaha rx-a4a/a6a have been around for a couple of years and so has the denon avr-2700. Sony doesn’t seem to have replaced the str-1080 which is still meant to be pretty good.
What I am trying to avoid is buying one of the above and a new one comes out making my new one old and obsolete. Another thing is when the new one comes out the last gen goes for significantly cheaper so a good bargain could be had.
Anyone know when these companies are releasing new models. Should I wait a bit or just bite the bullet now?

Depends on what you want from your AVR. If you really want gaming features, wait I think.
If gaming features are not that important wait for the prices to drop a bit on those models you mentioned when they release new models (usually between Sept and Nov. But who knows).
Or, if you already have an AVR that's a few years old (like less than 5 or 6 maybe even 7 or 8) just keep it. No need to upgrade unless a newer model has some features you really need.

Depends on what you want from your AVR. If you really want gaming features, wait I think.
If gaming features are not that important wait for the prices to drop a bit on those models you mentioned when they release new models (usually between Sept and Nov. But who knows).
Or, if you already have an AVR that's a few years old (like less than 5 or 6 maybe even 7 or 8) just keep it. No need to upgrade unless a newer model has some features you really need.

Gaming not a huge issue and if it becomes an issue then the arc/earc will be used.
My current av amp is 10+ years old so no hdmi or arc etc . Still sounds good but problem is everything is going hdmi only with no optical or coaxial outputs so no way getting audio to amp.
I’m also looking for a bit of convenience so ability to change volume on tv remote. At the moment the Sony tv remote can control the virgin tv box, ps5 and it did control the old sound bar I had so would like that to be able do all with one remote unlike now got way to many remotes around.

Gaming not a huge issue and if it becomes an issue then the arc/earc will be used.
My current av amp is 10+ years old so no hdmi or arc etc . Still sounds good but problem is everything is going hdmi only with no optical or coaxial outputs so no way getting audio to amp.
I’m also looking for a bit of convenience so ability to change volume on tv remote. At the moment the Sony tv remote can control the virgin tv box, ps5 and it did control the old sound bar I had so would like that to be able do all with one remote unlike now got way to many remotes around.
Ok then, so you definitely need a new AVR. I would wait for a price drop then later in the year or buy a used previous model if you can find one.

Those Yamaha models you mentioned the a4a and upwards were only released in 2021 so it's not two years. Those ones are the v4a v6a and the a2a models.

This is a question for folks in the know.
I’ve been looking at some low/mid range AVRs and noticed that the current models are getting on a bit. I know there’s a chip shortage and other issues like 4K/8k chips etc
The likes of the yamaha rx-a4a/a6a have been around for a couple of years and so has the denon avr-2700. Sony doesn’t seem to have replaced the str-1080 which is still meant to be pretty good.
What I am trying to avoid is buying one of the above and a new one comes out making my new one old and obsolete. Another thing is when the new one comes out the last gen goes for significantly cheaper so a good bargain could be had.
Anyone know when these companies are releasing new models. Should I wait a bit or just bite the bullet now?

The Yamaha RX-A4a and the A6a were launched last year. Do you mean the RX-V4a and the V6a? Yamaha haven't even managed to issue the full complement of firmware updates they promised for these models yet so doubt that they are in any rush to bring anything new to the market, at least not until they've managed to update their current products.

Regardless, nothing new has arrived in terms of technology that would warrant the manufacturers having to launch new models. Just because they'd got into the bad habit of reinventing the wheel each and every year doesn't mean that there's an actual requirement or technical reason to replace models each and every year. Just buy one of the current AV receivers that meets your requirements.

New models will not be any cheaper to buy and are more than likely going to be even more expensive than the models they replace.

Why would a new model being introduced make older models obsolete? New models have generally tended to be little if at all different to the models they replace. As I said, the manufacturers have got into a bad habit of introducung new model to fit with marketing schedules as oppoised to intoroducing improvements or tech you actually need.

What I think you'll start to see is fewer new models and replacements only being launched only when there's an actual need to introduce new technology. Just replaceing older products from a previous year because it fits in with a marketing schedule is ridiculous and is just a waste of resources.

By the way, Virgin Media STVs don't support HDMI CEC so you wont be able to control one using HDMI Control and another device's remote. Neither will the Virgin box's remore control the volume of an AV receiver.

I'd suggest you look into a universal remote rather than pinning all your hopes on HDMI CEC. It can be a PITA and most people avoid having to utilise HDMI Control.

All in all, there a world shortage of ekectrical components and manufacturer is still not at the levels they were prior to the pandemic. Manufacturers are finding it hard enough to meet current demand with the products they have without the headaches associatedwith retooling and launching new models. They've also learnt that they don't have to keep replacing models each and every year to stimulate sales. DEmand for their products is the same whether the models are one or 2 years old and why replace something that doesn't need replacing?

Last edited:
Those Yamaha models you mentioned the a4a and upwards were only released in 2021 so it's not two years. Those ones are the v4a v6a and the a2a models.
Yes v4a and v6a.
Always get the numbers/letters mixed up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom