New models in New Year?

G

GC2727

I've been looking at 32" LCDs now for about two months now and have narrowed my choice down to the Panasonic TX32LXD500 or the Panasonic TX32LXD52 - with the choice coming down to looks versus money.

My concern is that I will buy one of these now and in the new year new "better" models will be launched and I will be gutted that a) I want one of new models and b) that I paid £1500 for something that is now available for less than £1000.

Therefore could anybody advise if they have heard of any new models coming out in the new year that will be (in theory) far better than the Panasonics.

Thanks.

ps. my main area of usage are Telewest digital and DVDs and most concerned about quality pictures.

It will always happen, if you are always waiting for the next model, you will never buy.

It's just if there are any big changes around the corner which will seriously devalue the TV and make me wish I'd waited. When I got my flat screen CRT five years ago, it was relatively new technology but over the years, although new models have come out I've not noticed any major advancements and have been more than happy with the choice I made then.

I'm personally just waiting until my required list is fulfilled: -

1. 1080i at least.
2. Able to display 1920x1080 when driven by a pc.
3. Reasonably priced - very subjective ;)
4. HDTV capable (hdcp)

Annoying that there are sets around that only fulfill three out of the four. i.e. the clear dragon and spectre displays.

Keep an eye on the Cleardragon site, they were probably have DVI/HDMI 1080 screens in the new year.

You could wait for LCD to improve, by which time some other technology will be just around the corner. I personally am dissapointed by all flat panel technology compared with even 10 year old CRT's. CRT's are optomised for PAL, which is 576 lines at 50Hz. No flat panel (LCD, Plasma DLP) to my knowledge is 576 lines and I think all LCD's are 60 frames per second. While this is the case I dont think they will be as good as CRT with standard PAL. Why dont they make tru PAL optimised LCD's? I am sorry Sharp but 1/4 of a 1080 LCD is not PAL optimised.

I think you should make your decision on how big an improvement the LCD's you are looking at are compared with what you have now, and if the improvement is worth the money.

GC2727 said:
I've been looking at 32" LCDs now for about two months now and have narrowed my choice down to the Panasonic TX32LXD500 or the Panasonic TX32LXD52 - with the choice coming down to looks versus money.

My concern is that I will buy one of these now and in the new year new "better" models will be launched and I will be gutted that a) I want one of new models and b) that I paid £1500 for something that is now available for less than £1000.

Therefore could anybody advise if they have heard of any new models coming out in the new year that will be (in theory) far better than the Panasonics.

Thanks.

ps. my main area of usage are Telewest digital and DVDs and most concerned about quality pictures.

Wait, yes really wait.

LCD technology is just about to experience its next big wave of new technology. Q1 of next year will see Philips bringing the Scanning Backlight technology (Called Aptura) to market and Samsung will have it's latest LCD panels that no longer use coloured filters (many manufacturers use Samsung panels).

LCD is, at long last, knocking on the door of high end CRT quality.

cosmicblue said:
Wait, yes really wait.

LCD technology is just about to experience its next big wave of new technology. Q1 of next year will see Philips bringing the Scanning Backlight technology (Called Aptura) to market and Samsung will have it's latest LCD panels that no longer use coloured filters (many manufacturers use Samsung panels).

LCD is, at long last, knocking on the door of high end CRT quality.

However... won't these latest enhancements result in a price premium? Afterall, Ambilight and Pixel Plus2 result in Philips charging a premium for their sets, also as with all new technological advances the early adopters will pay a premium (especially as they will probably phase introdution of new features until old stock levels are cleared - what better way to do this than use pricing).

I was also thinking of not buying an LCD until next year (in the hope of something revolutionary - e.g. OLED, SED) however in the end I decided to stop chasing rainbows and live in the here and now. As such I bought a Toshiba 37WLT58 - its not the best LCD out there (by a mile), but it is a great, solid TV which offers decent picture reproduction and at £1600 with a 5 year warranty it seems good value for money (at least to me).
Its likely that in 6-12 months my TV will either be 1/2-3/4 quarters of the price or discontinued (the pace of technology is frightening) but I will have had the corresponding same amount of time enjoying the TV... and that swung it for me.

Anyway, in 5 years time when I decide to change I will no doubt be able to pick up a 3D immersive holgraphic image deck for a couple of hundred quid... 10 years make that a full star trek sized holodeck... 15... you get the picture.

So in summary, you can keep play the waiting game and hoep that you can afford to get the best of the best or commit now, forget about the rat race and enjoy the screen.

Just my thoughts :eek:)

Ah its nice to see others exploring the Clear Dragon options. My dealings with them so far have been very friendly and positive despite my not purchasing a set yet. They were expecting the BIG 4 to be on offer early New Year but some issue's have arised so we may have to w8 just a little longer.

What I will add is that after hours of searching the net Clear Dragn without a doubt presents best value for money versus spec!

42 Inch
Aspect ratio:16:9
Resolution:1920 x 1080
Brightness:600 cd/m2
Contrast (CR):1000:1
View angle:176 X 176
Color depth:16.7 M COLOURS
Cell pitch (H X V):0.227 X 0.681
Response Time:8 ms

Just not the HDMI interface :(

Watch their space! I know I will be very closely

Alpha14