New models 2013; 40" Samsung or Panasonic?

squarejawhero

Established Member
Reaction score
Mods, please hit me with the naughty stick if needs be. I think my last post was probably a bit too much waffle and not enough explanation. Plus there's probably other people asking the same thing.

I'm currently looking at these sets -

Samsung 40F6670 - deeper blacks than the panny due to the panel, worse motion. Has some kind of dimming trick? Lots of technical bits n' pieces. Active rather than passive. The other, more expensive option, is the F7000 but I've not really figured out if the extras are worth the extra £400.

Panasonic L42ET60B - less fancy than the Samsung but I've heard good things about the smart features. IPS means it's not as dark but handles motion well? Avforums recently reviewed the 55" version well. Plus passive - does it have those annoying lines on 2D? Are the DT and FT worth waiting for, or will be they be muy caro?

Thing is, I do like the idea of LED, but I'm wondering if plasma is the way to go - I know this forum's quite plasma centric, however. I've had three LED's I've had to send back due to screen uniformity and loads of other issues this year, so I'm wondering if I should possibly just go for the -

Panasonic TX-P42ST60B- this year's 42" plasma. I've got an old U30b downstairs and it's done me proud but the picture can lose its crispness in motion.

I guess I'm just flummoxed. Any help appreciated. And again, modspank if I'm doing this wrong (please feel free to delete my old topic in this forum).

The ST60 is sounding like a good set, you'll always have some form of light uniformity issue with LED, comes with the tech.

What's the set for?.

I don't think you'll get that level of feedback on TVs that aren't even widely in the shops yet :) There are threads in the LCD & plasma forums. Sounds like you want blacks and motion, thus plasma is likely the best route :)

Thanks Scoob and vickster. I know, I'm asking probably too much from LED/LCD. I guess I'm hoping there's a set out there for me.

I'll be using it for single player games, lots of blurays, Netflix and occasional TV. 3D is important to me as I've got a little collection of films in 3D I want to see - DREDD, ahem.

The ST60 sounds great but it just sounds like it could be expensive in the long run. I guess that's all that's really stopping me - you can get it for £769.99 at Appliances Direct, so even with added warranty it's still under £800. That and I'm just not sure about active 3D as it really tires my eyes out, despite the beautiful picture - although do plasma's do full HD?

My other issue is my old US30B is rather a heavy beast. Having a glass-front plasma when I may have to move this years is also a concern.

However, the L55ET60B had a good review here at avforums, mentioning blacks aren't particularly great, plus it's an IPS panel which I assume is better than the ones LG and Samsung use? I hear Panasonic are far better at fitting their screens than their Korean counterparts. I'm thinking I might take one for a test run and see how it does. I'm holed up at home with a bad leg and no TV at the moment!

Last edited:
I think Panasonic are using the same panels as LG in 2013...IPS, passive 3D
Sony and Samsung use the same panels mostly

LG don't do anything for me, I'd go Panasonic if you want passive 3D, but with 5 year warranty

Funny you just posted! I just called Richer Sounds after deliberating a lot after what you said. They remember me from two disasters earlier in the year and were very understanding, plus it was the last day of their five year warranty deal.

I had a discussion with the guy about the negatives of IPS and went for it - I don't mind blacks being a bit greyish and I'm assuming that uniformity won't be as bad an issue as the lower-end models I went for previously. I gave some thought as to 3D as well; passive really doesn't hurt my eyes like active so I'll take the hit on image quality.

If in 7 days I feel it's not for me, I can return it, which is fair. Gives me time to break it in and get used to it. If a Panasonic LED/LCD doesn't do it for me, I'll return to plasma - I just feel like I should give the tech a fair shot despite my string of problems this year, as many people seem very happy with their purchases and I feel I might just be really unlucky. We'll see! Again, thanks for the help. :)

edit; I'll return with some consumer impressions. Is there an owners thread for this model type yet, or should I just do so here?

Funny you just posted! I just called Richer Sounds after deliberating a lot after what you said. They remember me from two disasters earlier in the year and were very understanding, plus it was the last day of their five year warranty deal.

I had a discussion with the guy about the negatives of IPS and went for it - I don't mind blacks being a bit greyish and I'm assuming that uniformity won't be as bad an issue as the lower-end models I went for previously. I gave some thought as to 3D as well; passive really doesn't hurt my eyes like active so I'll take the hit on image quality.

If in 7 days I feel it's not for me, I can return it, which is fair. Gives me time to break it in and get used to it. If a Panasonic LED/LCD doesn't do it for me, I'll return to plasma - I just feel like I should give the tech a fair shot despite my string of problems this year, as many people seem very happy with their purchases and I feel I might just be really unlucky. We'll see! Again, thanks for the help. :)

edit; I'll return with some consumer impressions. Is there an owners thread for this model type yet, or should I just do so here?

Do a search in the LCD forum, if there isn't one by all means great one there.:)

Enjoy Dredd;) great film IMO, one for the fans and great fun if lacking in PQ at times.
The 3D is very good but is used more for depth than pop out, very effective.:)

Cheers again Scoob. I'll pop my opinions in the correct place! ;)

Thanks for the link, Nick. I took a look at it - if this LED/LCD doesn't work out, ST60 it is. Want to give the tech a fair chance. Bit concerned with active 3D, lag and IR though.

Cheers again Scoob. I'll pop my opinions in the correct place! ;)

Thanks for the link, Nick. I took a look at it - if this LED/LCD doesn't work out, ST60 it is. Want to give the tech a fair chance. Bit concerned with active 3D, lag and IR though.

After reading great reviews on ES7005, i demoed it in the shop before diving for the purchase, 2 days later, it was nicely packed back in the shop. In the normal lighting conditions(evenings) at home the set looked terrible, with clouding and very narrow viewing angles, i could not live with it. I promise myself not to take the LED route anymore. Phew! I am now fancying the ST60 :)

No need to tell me that - one more chance is all I'm giving led before I give it the boot!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Surely if that happens they'll turn around on it? Or is it just too expensive to put together and ship properly...

On a sidenote put up a first impression of the TX-L42ET60b here! :) This forum's given me a lot so I want to give some back. :D

Surely if that happens they'll turn around on it? Or is it just too expensive to put together and ship properly...

On a sidenote put up a first impression of the TX-L42ET60b here! :) This forum's given me a lot so I want to give some back. :D

Costs a lot to re-tool the market would need to shift a crazy amount. Samsung may continue a bit longer but Panasonic stopped R&D and are now spending on OLED construction.

Well, I guess as long as they're doing something. :p I'd say Plasma had a good go of it. I'm not sure how they could improve on it outside of software updates and fine-tuning from now on. For the tech-savvy cinemaphiles I guess there's always room for improvement no matter what; that's the curse of having a fine eye and sensitivity to image problems. Whereas LED/LCD has proven itself in the market and is no doubt cheaper to create.

Sun's going down now. "Looking forward" to seeing if there's any massive backlight inconsistencies on this Panny - but given the performance so far, I don't see that, for my eyes at least, there should hopefully be any issues...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom