New model to replace the discontinued PT-AX200- Is it true?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff D, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have ordered an AX200 from Pixmania only to find it's now out of stock. They are showing 8-10 days on their UK site but 4-6 weeks on their french site so I am very suspicious that they won't have stock for some time.

I checked with DigitalDirect this morning and they are also now out of stock but the salesperson I spoke to said that they may not get more stock as the AX200 model is now discontinued by Panasonic and a new model will be coming out (same with the AE2000 apparently).

Does anybody know about a new model? I'm seriously considering cancelling my order for the AX200 if it's going to be a long pointless wait and maybe order the new model when it shows up.

2. Pumauk

Pumauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The ax200 hasn't been out long- surely that can't be right :confused:

3. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sound and Vision (same co. as DigitalDirect) have been selling their 'last few' AX200's off this week for £769 - now no more left.

It seems hard to beleive that they are replacing it - a google search throws up nothing. I wouldn't of expected a replacement until October time.

4. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I just cancelled my order with Pixmania and found stock at PurelyGadgets web site (and at a very competitive £769.95 delivered with an 18 month guarantee).

So I'm excitedly looking forward to receiving it around mid next week.

I think it has to be remembered that whenever you buy a piece of high tech gadgetry, it will nearly always be superceded by the next model in no time at all and at a lower price. So you just have to go for it at the time and enjoy it!

5. keylion

keylion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well done - that's a good price, equal to Sound & Vision who have always been the cheapest for this projector over the last few months. i think you're buying at the best time (i.e. just before the next model). They were over £900 everywhere back in November and have fallen a few £££'s every couple of days since.

Hope you enjoy it. Should be superb with the Blu-Ray.

6. RedNax

RedNax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, sorry about that Jeff, that one they had is now set up here in my livingroom..

Connected to SkyHD, 360 and dvd player through a 1:3 automatic (NO REMOTE!) hdmi switch feeding to a hdmi-cat5 dongle and it's been working great for the whole 6 hours on it..

7. david@royjowett

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, just to clear things up a little, the AX200 and AE2000 are difinitely NOT discontinued. we have received official confirmation from panasonic. they still have a lot of life left in them. the AX200 is still a popular pj and just about one of the best value for money projectors around. the 2000 is relatively new as well!!

hope this helps...

david...

8. Pumauk

Pumauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Any reason why there appears to be a lack of stock going around? (of the ax200 that is).

Also, don't suppose you know if the ax200 comes with the latest firmware on it now- so the green flashing issue is fixed?

Cheers :smashin:

9. david@royjowett

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know exactly why there is a shortage with some retailers and panasonic, possibly down to the popularity??, i don't know. could be as simple as that!

i'll try and find out about the firmware for you. will probably be by next week if we find out...

david...

10. Mars2003

Mars2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Lack of stock = popular ;)

I got mine 3 weeks ago. I don't know what Firmware it has, but I've seen it flash green once whilst watching a movie via my HDMI 360. (I've got circa 35 Hrs on it)

I have however seen it flicker a few times, but that seems to solve itself if I choose brighter setting.

11. Alan Wood

Alan Wood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying the AX200. It seems to have a lot going for it with good zoom ratio, good brightness, sharp. However the previous model the AX100 had a lot of touble with the iris sticking and I have seen threads about green flahing. Would existing owners say yes get one or not? I don.t want to lay out the cost of a 1080 capable projector partly because they don't seem to be as bright for some reason.

12. Mars2003

Mars2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd say yes, really enjoying mine.

13. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well I'm still waiting for my PT-AX200 to arrive from PurelyGadgets. I ordered it after hours last Thursday and it's still showing 'processing' on order tracking this morning! Their customer services have been rather vague but say I should get it this week or 'very shortly'. They quote on their website 2-5 days from order to delivery on stock items.
    I must say that I am very sceptical of some of these retailers when they say a product is in stock. I think it often means that their supplier has it in stock but they may not, hence the excessive wait before it's despatched. If I don't see it dispatched by tomorrow, I am minded to once again cancel my order and look for it somewhere else that maybe keeps its promise about delivery.

14. Jeff D

Jeff D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Never believe a retailer if their website says 'in stock'! After pressing PurelyGadgets for the truth, they now say they are expecting stock 'late this week' so they obviously don't have stock at all at the moment despite saying they do on their website and on Amazon Marketplace.
    I am on the verge of cancelling my order but I have lost faith in any other retailer who may be showing stock at the moment. There seems to be a supply problem with this projector. It must be proving a popular choice.
    If anybody has a similar experience at the moment, I'd be pleased to hear from them.
    Will I ever get this product?