1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New model scalers ... when?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StooMonster, Mar 23, 2005.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I want a scaler with
    • Silicon Optix's Realta Chip for deinterlacing.
    • Anchor Bay Technologies's DVDO 10-bit Precision Video Scaling for scaling.
    • Denon's Pixel Image Correction or similar (what is similar?) for clean-up.
    i.e. the very best components around; just like the Denon DVD-5910 / DVD-A1XV!

Obviously friendly software, tones of useful test patterns, and a whole heap on inputs/outputs are derigeur.

DVDO or Lumagen or Crystalio: any plans to replace your legacy deinterlacers with any of these lovely components?

StooMonster

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Stoo: You want the REALTA for de-interlacing....it's just a processing chip. Whose de-interlacing algorithms do you want running on it? The terranex ones in the A1XV?

Gordon

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i have a feeling that the difference between AV processors and Scaler will narrow, i hope Lexicon, Arcam, Rotel, Meridian will be putting better scaling and video processing into their kit, this should hopefull filter down an "affordable level" i would have hoped denon would have put this stuff in their top AV amps not just DVD player (guess it makes little commercial sense but would be nice after all most people watch other sources more than DVD)

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
  6. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think it is only a matter of time before a chip like the one in the DVD-A1XV appears in TVs, amps etc. I don't know the exact thread but it was one to do with Bristol. I am sure that the guy from silicon optix stated they plan to launch a seperate box which you could obivously plug other stuff into not just your DVD player.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Does that mean they plan a scaler???

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    More than likely means that their sales people are taking to all the people who currently make scalers.

StooMonster

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Algolith, an American company, are launching a scaler which basically has the Silicon Optix development board inside. Silicon Optix themselves make scalers...but none with the HQV chip in yet.

The chip is just a processor. It can run different programmes. You can choose to buy the programmes from Silicon Optix or you can write your own. Faroudja built a silicon chip to do what they wanted way back when and for the advanced stuff they used an FPGA (field programmeable gate array). DVDo designed the SL503 chip to be a competitor to the Faroudja chips. Currently mixtures of chips like the SIL and Faroudja chips and FPGA's are how the bulk of processors work. In the future it's likely to continue with different companies hardware forging ahead. If someone chose to use a Realta HQV chip with their own software programme then they could probably achieve the same thing using FPGA's...I'd imagine it would be down to other considerations such as input/output types, development times, costs.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. It's all good news though as our pictures will just keep getting better.

Gordon

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    What's attractive about the DVD-A1XV implementation is the perceived value of the deinterlacing algorithms $60k Teranex 3RU Xantus system, but for a budget price. It's the Prosumer sale.

Another factor unmentioned here so far is the new Sony / Toshiba / IBM Cell Processor (a multi-threading, vector processing, and super scalar chip); which as well as being designed for PS3 will be used as video processor / deinterlacer / scaler in forthcoming flat panel displays and third-party scalers.

The best thing being ... a scalar in a scaler; a challenge for those with bad spelling. ;)

StooMonster

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    StooMonster

Your assuming that by stuffing the Denon kit full of chips its any good - from what I saw at Bristol there was a lot of hype and... well a lot of hype really!

Though the Realta development board was very good with the Realta test DVD :)

When it came to playing discs in the Denon DVD player it looked like you had to Preview the disc to work out which level of NR to apply - I think it showed a scale from 1 through 8.

I've not had a chance to have a 'hands on' play with the Denon DVD player - though from what I've read a lower down the range player plus a half decent Video Processor is a more flexible/beneficial option.

I'm sure there are lots of 'HQV Inside' products on the drawing board - though I doubt for now they will be entry level, more like 'Premier Lines'; the Algolith Dragonfly has an MSRP of $3,495.00.

Best regards

Joe

PS My Spell Checker is stuffed full of 'non words' :)

12. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I'd have to agree with Joe here. After all of the hype about the Realta chip and Terranex $60K processing, the Denon plays back dvd's with pretty much the same aplomb as the older 5900. Having the chip inside your product does NOT equate to having a $60K Terranex.
    An SDI modded player to the current crop of SDI scalers will provide a far superior picture.

13. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I've only seen the screenshots of Realta's demos of their Teranex processing, and they looked pretty sweet; guess it needs to be seen in real life.

Still, methinks that SiI504 and Faroudja DCDi are long in the tooth and promises of better seem almost realiseable.

New scaler must also scale above 1920x1080 to new higher resolutions of LCDs and have appropriate dual-link DVI to power these high mega-pixel displays.

StooMonster

14. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As mentioned above,an SDI modded dvd into a scaler like the HD+ with SDI beats the Denon.

Going a step further,D-Theatre via component at 1080i outputting from a Crystalio at 1080p MURDERS the Denon-and pretty similar total cost as well.

As mentioned in another thread with HD DVD round the corner and probably pitched to come in at £1,000 price point end of this year-showing TRUE 1080i and 720p..Why on earth anyone would pay 2k+ for the Denon is beyond me?

Two years ago had there have been a player like the Denon about I may have bought-but now?
    Ive never been entirely happy with dvd seeing it as a backward step in pic quality from Hi Vision-But its paved the way for HD DVD at least.

Not bad eh? the u.k. gets some form of hidef-13 years after the Japanese..can it really be 13 years? :thumbsdow