1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New model crts

Discussion in 'TVs' started by meath man, Feb 12, 2005.

1. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi , ive just sent back my third sony set and im fed up trying to find a decent tv with no problems.
    Does anybody know when a new range of crts will be released by various different companie? i cant find a crt that has no problem and what is within my budget so i think ill wait till something new comes out. Anybody heard anything or have any links to websites with news on new crts?

2. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anybody got any ideas?

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What were the problems on your sets? Most manuafcturers bring out new models every 12-18 Months. It's just a case of wait & see..............

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    You will never get any TV that will not have the odd unit that fails - the higher the spec and the lower the price you go the more likely it is for a fault to develop - after all the TVs are all built from parts supplied by the lowest bidders!

You will also find on forums like these that people are much more likely to complain when an item fails than to write a rave review with every item they own thats working well - after all the forum would get boring if there were just 1000+ reviews saying panny pd30 is great and equal number for every other make/model in production.

It seems that you have been unlucky with the Sony TVs you have been getting - would be interested to know if they were replaced by the place of purchase or directly through Sony.

If you wait for a new model to come out then you are most likely just waiting for a new set of potential problems - imo you just need to buy a TV you like which is in your budget and 'hope' that it is ok

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with the first part of this statement in that these forums are really designed to provide help and support for people with AV problems. However, I am with meath man on this and having looked around can't seem to find a decent TV without some bad points, usually 'Dirty Screen' is apparent on all display models.

As for the 1000+ people who are happy with their sets, is it just because they don't know the problem is there. e.g. if they don't watch much sport they probably wouldn't be bothered by 'dirty screens' but it doesn't mean its not there. There are also probably a great deal more who do have problems but dont use the internet.

Also how many other customers do have problems but choose to live with it. I have seen many a comment such as 'TV has this little problem, but apart from this its fanatastic so I think I'll keep it' or 'I daren't send it back in case the replacement is worse'. What sort of message is this sending to the manufacturers, probably that its OK for them to make poor quality units because the majority of consumers wont complain.

Sorry for hijacking your thread meath man. Rant over :)

Wackojacko32

6. davcohen

davcohen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    phillips seems to be bringing out some top of the line tv's

7. Chris Hedlund

Chris Hedlund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with Astraroth on this. No TV is perfect, just as no car is perfect, no house is perfect, no woman is perfect etc etc.

You just have to get the best you can for your money.

It could be argued that people who are prepared to live with minor imperfections are better off - they have a better quality of life than someone who spends their whole life looking for the impossible.

8. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    How can you compare a TV to a woman?
    The thought of perfect and woman in the same sentence!
    Nigel :)

9. Chris Hedlund

Chris Hedlund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the idea of a 'horizontal hold' crossed my mind :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

10. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just returned a Philips 32PW9509 because of a terrible 'dirty screen' and vertical white line down the middle of the screen which made any sport unwatchable. I had it inspected by an approved Philips engineer and was told it was within 'Manufacturer's Specification'. I also viewed several other examples of the same model in various stores and they all exhibited the same problem clearly on the blue screen. If this is the quality of todays TV I'll stick with my 10 year 21" JVC.

I am not after perfection, but it seems that manufacturers today are striving to get the maximum number of 'gizmo's' on their set whilst forgetting about the basics. I admit to falling into this trap but I am certainly more cautious now. The Philips did have great potential in that the processing did help with PQ (in most cases) but the tube was so poor, IMO, this let the whole product down.

Anyone recommend a good basic 32" set for the same money as the Philips (£700), I would be greatful.

Thanks

Wackojacko32

11. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that there is no such thing as a perfect electrical product. Everything has a shortcoming of some description. It really is luck of the draw whether you get a good example or a bad one. The biggest problem with large tubes is that they are quite badly affected by magnetism so purity, or 'dirty screen' problems will always be present to some extent. In much the same way as plasma and LCD have their shortcomings, so does CRT. It really is a case of what bothers you the least.

As for future CRT's I can only see them getting worse because nobody will want to pay £1,000 for a 36" CRT when they can have a flat panel for not much more. The issue of which is better is becoming irrelevant - flat panels are being pushed very hard and people are being given less choice in the high street. Go to your local electrical retailer and the CRT's are disappearing. My local Currys has very few CRT's now and others are following suit because they can smell money in it. The retailers are pushing for more flat panels and less CRT's so manufacturers will eventually ditch the high end models. It's simple economics, and we the buyers will suffer as usual.

For a recommendation I think the Panny PD30/50 is good as is the Tosh 32/36ZP range. There's plenty of good and bad experiences on here for both manufacturers, but it seems to me if you get a good one of these the people who have them are really happy bunnies.

12. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to agree with you about the future of CRT's. I went into Dixons and JL at the weekend and the main focus was definately Flat Panels for anything bigger than 28".

Yeah, but you could say the same for the Philips I just had. My point is how many TV's have I got to go through before I get a good one? These things are not light, I am just glad I haven't got room for a 36" :D

Thanks for the reply

Wackojacko32

13. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'm new here and also new to widescreen TVs. However, from what I've seen in the reviews and feedbacks from many people I can recommend Thomson 32WB642s (it is the same as 32WB643). For example, you can find a review on it here
    It is not the latest model but seems to fit your basic criteria of GOOD TV without much gizmos. Actually, the number of ports and inputs of this model is much more than 32PW9509...

14. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Alefsin, it certainly gives me another option. I like the array of inputs also.

Interestingly, I read somewhere on the forum that Grundig/Thompson use Philips tubes, but Philips choose to use Panasonic tubes in their own models. By all accounts the Philips Tubes are better (also use in Loewe TVs, I believe) so may be worth considering.

Wackojacko32

15. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Its the first time I have heard anyone say Philips tube are good!
    In what way?
    I thought Sony's where the best.
    Nigel

16. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have read this a few times on the forum, but as usual can't find the link :suicide: . Also, as I said above I have also read that they are used in Loewe TV's which are generally well respected. Of course, may still be complete :censored: .

Wackojacko32

PS I didn't say they were the best, just better than the Panasonic tube Philips seem to be using in its recent TV's.