New Mobile battery

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by davejerome, Jan 9, 2008.

1. davejerome

davejerome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I got a new Nokia N82 yesterday. I used it all day on the charge that came in the battery (when I went to bed at 12:00 it was saying low battery). This morning at 9 it was still on but I put it on charge.

1 hour 30 minutes later it says it is now fully charged. The manual has nothing at all anywhere about "conditioning" the battery unlike all my previous phones have said. However it does say "Do not leave plugged in as it will damage battery life".

What should I do? I know batteries have got alot better over the years but by word of the manual I am screwed if I leave it in for extra time and gut instinct says unplugging it is not the way to go.

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    don't need to worry about conditioning anymore with new battery technology. when it's low charge it. simple as ;)

3. davejerome

davejerome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, Cheers.

4. M4NN

M4NN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :hiya:

i would usually let it charge like 16-24 hours when first @ new, then the usual charges. i would also discharge it like 5/6 times to the end to get it working to it's full capacity & also know roughly how long a charge would hold (forget the manual timings!:rolleyes:)

i surely doubt if it's a Nickel Metal (NiMH) battery, rather a lithium-ion cell (Li-Ion) one which is of course better by far.

good luck...
    :cool:

5. M4NN

M4NN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    new battery technology ain't all that advanced really, best to give it a few first "full of life" charges.

also, of course nokia would not tell you to do all this 16/24 hour charge discharge thingy because then you would have a very good performing battery which would last longer than nokia wanted it to, - thus not buying another for some time, & ultimately, losing nokia business on their expected sales revenue.

oh, the world of hidden marketing...:rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

6. james_uk9

james_uk9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Li-Ion batteries do not suffer from memory effect at all, so there is nothing to be gained by allowing your battery to fully discharge.

It is considered that charging the battery whenever possible is the best way to keep it in good condition.

Discharging your battery completely under certain conditions can cause permanent damage, although most phones will switch off when the battery charge level approaches a level of discharge that is considered damaging to its lifespan.

7. M4NN

M4NN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    exactly, was referring to non li-Ion.

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    T3 magazine says moderate listening to music, taking pics, surfing the net and sat nav and you will be lucky if the phone lasts 24 hours.

9. davejerome

davejerome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, well I unplugged it about 30 minutes after it said it was charged and I always only charge my phones when they are giving out low battery warnings. I guess we will see.

@crazzy kopite

I used it yesterday with the battery out of the box (half charge??) for several hows hours of heavy use. GPS, photos, Bluetooth data, installing route 66 etc. It didn't die on me, at midnight it did tell me the battery was low but then at 9am it was still telling me the battery was low.

10. M4NN

M4NN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    im sure it would of lasted longer with a full, like 16 to 24 hour 1st charge.
    mine have.