1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MJ Acoustics subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by wilber, Feb 21, 2003.

1. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just in from the Bristol show where my sole interest was to buy a MJA pro 50 with 20% off.

Well I didn't buy one 'cos MJ have two new subs the Reference 100 & the Reference 150.

Both are visually similar to the pro 50 but I think they are slightly taller and have chunkier feet. They also have a nice led to give precise control of the crossover (bit of a gimmick I thought). BUT the BIG thing is the increased amps 100 & 150 respectively (never have guessed would you).

I was already sold on the pro 50 so imagine my joy at being introduced to its big brothers. definitely more bangs for your bucks (the 150 was in my opinion probably too much for my small room / wife)

The pricing of the reference 100 in particular is brilliant at just £50 more than the pro 50 at £349 with the 150 at £479 (add £50 for wood veneers). I've ordered at ref 100 in maple at just £319 with the 20% discount for the show this weekend (Incidentally I overheard an Audio Excellence salesman say to another potential customer that if he wanted to have a think that was ok just go into his local branch tomorrow and ask for the discount - might be worth a phone call if you are interested).

Should be here in under two weeks - cant wait

2. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Wilbur

The Ref100 has a 8 inch drive unit with a hefty magnet coupled to a 120W amplifier, the cabinet is the same size as the Pro 50 but it has 2" dia solid steel feet on.

£319 for a wood veener cabinet sound good value

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ahh so I was right about the feet then :laugh: I must say it was very impressive for such a small unit. I'm just counting the time til it arrives :thumbsdow The price is brill