1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mini Tube Amp (very cute)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by ipodstudio, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now THIS has got to be one of the cutest little tube amps made!! :smashin:

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It's a guitar amp. The Earmax / Pro is a proper tiny amp.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    This thing is basically a piece of entertainment.....it does have a headphone/speaker out socket,but as it's maker says,it's intended to give the sort of distortion effects of a valve amp as favoured by many guitarists.

As you rightly say,the Earmax is an entirely different animal.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A guitar amp is mono. Which is why I mention it (obliquely that it has no place here), unless you're going for an (incredibly) poor man's monoblocks. The distortion is another area of course.

5. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's right, extremelydodgy, which is why I said it was "cute" and not "sonically great"......

...and it's definately cute...

The EARMAX PRO you mentioned is, indeed, a different beast...

With regard to PPAs, I'd suggest you go listen to one of Larocco's PPAs for a start; then you'll possibly have some idea of what that particular kind of amp can do. You might also want to refrain from such generalisations in future: the PPA comes in all shapes and sizes and cinfigurations. One PPA can sound totally different to the other. Have you heard Phil Larocco's new PPA v2?

Just to give you a benchmark, PPAs sell from $350 for a pretty standard config up until $1500 for the Full Monty which I use...
    The great thing about PPAs is the ability to upgrade easily, too. The Full Monty is heading off to the US for upgrades in a couple of weeks, actually. :smashin:

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Try and keep it away from flaming other people's gear,extremelydodgey,even if it is in good humour,which I assume it was.

7. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Wont you be constantly upgrading it though if you send it off every time theres an update?

8. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He! He! Yeah, I guess. That's part of the fun of it, though. You can keep up with new developments and then upgrade when the itch gets you. Most folks would just buy a new amp and sell the old one; I get to keep mine, but upgrade it at will. Guess that's one way of looking at it....:D

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

iPodstudio: Since I brought it up, I suppose I'd better end it. I rarely generalise. I've owned three PPA's and rolled a couple a fair amount. I also have an AOS DAC board lying around somewhere (one of the non-amp components of the Full Monty I believe). The last was a Larocco, because I couldn't believe the level of performance I was getting from the fully loaded PPA's previously... I was under the impression that the guys I commissioned to build the amps were doing something wrong. The Larocco regrettably proved they weren't at fault. IMO, YMMV, etc... and I suppose it's partly my fault for having a penchant to play off amps against each other. I hope you have better luck with your upgrades. :smashin:

10. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    extremelydodgy. thanks for putting that in perspective. Let's see, yes, I do have the AOS DAC which I like alot. It's a good combo for the Deno DCP-150 I'm currently playing with. I think Phil plans on changing the DAC for another one he now prefers and the buffers get an upgrade, too.
    What did you find not to your satisfaction with the Larocco you owned?

11. zachary vex

zachary vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's been some time since[manufacturer] this thread started, but i wanted to point out that i've since designed a tube 1W/Channel stereo hi-fi power amp that's about the size of a pop can, even smaller than the mono tube guitar amp which was of interest in the first post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://impamp.com

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674