New mini-ITX gaming pc, advice needed.

Wing Man

Standard Member
Hi all, after alot of thought and saving up, I've finally got round to building a new gaming rig. I'd like my space and since it'll be plugged into the TV and my OCD would go nuts if I had on the floor, I've decided to go Mini-ITX over a full tower.

Now unfortunately, I've got myself into a bit of a pickle in building this new machine.

First off, I can't really decide between these two cases:

Bitfenix Prodigy - Black.

Fractal Design Node 304.

At the moment I've these components picked out.

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, Mini-ITX.

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K, Ivy Bridge.

Fan/CPU Cooler - This, but I don't know.

Memory - DDR3 - I was looking at this, but I'm not quite sure.

Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 670. 02G-P4-2670-KR - 2GB EVGA GTX 670, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 915MHz, Boost 980MHz, Cores 1344.

PSU - Was looking at this, but I'm not sure if it'll fit though.

Hard Drive - 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 3.5", SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64Mb Cache

Disc Drive - I've got an external DVD writer from my PC, tried it on the laptop and it still works. So that'll save some room and money.

Going with Windows 7 for the OS and I've already got Norton 360 for anti-virus stuff.

Anway, if anyone has any advice it'll be much appreciated.

On side note: How powerful do you reckon this'll be, wanting it last me a good few years before upgrading, so I'm trying to get as much power as I can, while aslo staying under or at as close to my target price as possible. Challenge myself and all that.

Tom Martow

Distinguished Member
The Bitfenix Prodigy is just a gorgeous case, the other one you posted looks a bit like an ammo crate from a game haha.

Hooligaani

Funnily enough I am currently (very slowly) building a second box to go in the storeroom (behind the TV) to create a steambox. I found myself buying some games twice (PC and 360) so I could enjoy gaming on the sofa without putting wires across the floor. Obviously this practise has to stop :rolleyes:

So I have only got the case so far (Bitfenix Prodigy) and I have learnt the the PSU you linked won't go in without a fight, it's also not modular so you will have loads of wires everywhere.

Apparently this one fits just fine, but can't speak from experience (yet)

For the motherboard I am scrimping slightly and planning on this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Z7...1366035318&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabyte+z77n-wifi

HDD I have plenty to choose from in my storage, but will probably go with a 64gb SSD and 2 x 1TB striped for main storage.

No optical drive

CPU will probably be a 3570K

GPU is still open, maybe a 7950 or GTX670 or 7870XT

My door is always open, so LMK if you need help.

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
I have the Fractal Node 304, and have exactly the same Motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler as you have specified!

The Corsair PSU you linked to will fit no problem as that too is the exact same one I had before I swapped it for a TX-650 to cope with the GTX 680 I upgraded to.

I can't link to my build thread as I'm out and about, but if you search for it in my profile you will find some photos to give you an idea of the space you have to work with.

EDIT: Here it is

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1717053-new-pc-build-completed.html

Can't fault the case, great build quality and looks nice and understated.

Last edited:

MGRayd

Distinguished Member
Good thread, will be keeping an eye on this and sebastalona good build.

Moving into my fiancees place which is much smaller than my current rented house but she owns her place so is better financially however problems with space so I may have to swap out my massive rig for a mini-ITX gaming rig instead.

hiphopapotamus

It's tight but you can build a nicely sized ITX system with the Cooler Master Elite 120.
I have an I7 2600k, full ATX PSU, Nvidia GTX 670 watercooled using a Kuhler 620 and it's quiet and reasonably cool (30c idle, 50-60 full on)

It's a lot of work without a modular PSU though, I find it very tight - but it's possible and I'm loving it :)

mozza54

It's tight but you can build a nicely sized ITX system with the Cooler Master Elite 120.
I have an I7 2600k, full ATX PSU, Nvidia GTX 670 watercooled using a Kuhler 620 and it's quiet and reasonably cool (30c idle, 50-60 full on)

It's a lot of work without a modular PSU though, I find it very tight - but it's possible and I'm loving it :)

I've got one of these cases as well, for the price you cant go wrong with it, its reasonably roomy and wasnt too bad to manage the cables.

That said, I really like the 2 cases you picked out as well :smashin:

Wing Man

Standard Member
I have the Fractal Node 304, and have exactly the same Motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler as you have specified!

The Corsair PSU you linked to will fit no problem as that too is the exact same one I had before I swapped it for a TX-650 to cope with the GTX 680 I upgraded to.

I can't link to my build thread as I'm out and about, but if you search for it in my profile you will find some photos to give you an idea of the space you have to work with.

Can't fault the case, great build quality and looks nice and understated.

Just had a gander, looks really nice. Might be a bit of a challenge getting the cables right, but I'll manage.

Think I might go with the Fractal case actually. Been looking at that BitFenix again, looks bigger than I thought it would be.

How hot does it get by the by?

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
Wing Man said:
Just had a gander, looks really nice. Might be a bit of a challenge getting the cables right, but I'll manage.

Think I might go with the Fractal case actually. Been looking at that BitFenix again, looks bigger than I thought it would be.

How hot does it get by the by?

Sorry, just seen this reply. I haven't really been keeping an eye on temperatures, although I did install CoreTemp the other day and haven't seen any of the CPU cores above 40 degrees.

As for the cables, it does need a little bit of planning, but they do go in! I utilised the support bar on the top of the case to hoop a few cable ties on to keep the cables relatively clear of the fans.

Hooligaani

I decided to put my project on hold, at least until the Z87 motherboards become available.
Pretty silly to buy a new Z77 board right now.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom