New Mini HD Media Player from Istar Coming in 2008 Jan

L

lancehd

it will release in 2008 Jan 20th, haha, i also waiting for this,
and i was been told the official website will been launch in 20th too.
:)

dodgyd

Thanks for the info, but would it really have hurt to put the pictures below each other instead of width ways?

Dave.

alpine101

Novice Member
There will be lots of these, the PopcornHour A100 leading the pack as use of the new generation of Sigma chips becomes widespread.

Bonker99

Novice Member
I assume when you say "lots of these" you mean new entrants into the market as opposed to established players simply bringing out an updated model? If so, why moreso now than with the previous gen of Sigma chip? :confused:

I guess cos maybe the new chip actually delivers what many, many people want and will pay good money for, i.e. H.264/MKV at 1080p with decent bitrates (12-15mbps+) ...

I gather that I have to wait until at least March for a chance at a Popcornhour unit so I'll likely try to get in a sample unit of the Istar Mini HD player to check it out in the next couple of weeks ...

T

TMaG82

Any idea on price? And maybe I'm just slow, but it looks likd HDMI is the only video output? My main TV is a little old, only has up to Component and DVI, but I like the small form factor of this player.

T

TMaG82

The Mvix MX-780HD listed has IDE/SATA as well. I emailed the Unicorn rep about that in Korea and he replied that the SATA is really a IDE but with a bridge, so it's probably using some sort of IDE/SATA connector. I would assume that this is similar as well.

And I've never heard of the company and/or player so I'm a little hesistant. The player's small form factor sure is appealing and the remote looks like it's halfway decent, but until I see some GUI screens and see how solid they are with releasing updated firmwares I'll be watching this very intensively from the sidelines.

Broadsword

Any idea on price? And maybe I'm just slow, but it looks likd HDMI is the only video output? My main TV is a little old, only has up to Component and DVI, but I like the small form factor of this player.

It has compoenet video, but you will either need an amp for sound or a TV with optical input as thats the only none HDMI audio output.

Broadsword

Well its available to prder now for International customers. Comes to around £125 shipped plus customs to be added on.

It turns out it doesn't have component output but does have VGA instead.

Ive ordered one as I cant wait for a PCH and this uses the same firmware as that.

robsonalan

Novice Member
Well its available to prder now for International customers. Comes to around £125 shipped plus customs to be added on.

It turns out it doesn't have component output but does have VGA instead.

Ive ordered one as I cant wait for a PCH and this uses the same firmware as that.

You can get a VGA to Component converter if you require Component, they shouldnt cost much at all.

I couldnt resist and order one this morning also.

Just hope I dont have to pay too much duty when it arrives.

From what I have read they are shipping with the current remote control which has a few issues, ie buttons incorrectly labeled and also some buttons not functioning or doing what they should. But ISTAR are then sending out free replacement remote controls to all that purchase it, dont know when that will be but hopefully shouldnt be too long.

I am on the waiting list for the pre order for a popcorn but this should do just as good for me as I wasnt planning on putting a HDD in it anyway.

Broadsword

They include a VGA to component convertor in with the price. At least they did with me.

The remote is a problem, I use a harmony anyway but the review mentions some of the buttons dont even work so a harmony is useless anyway in that situation. Customs will be between £20 and £30 but fingers crossed.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I've ordered one too, shipping on the 12th, replacement remote to follow hopefully by the end of the month (their words not mine).

Andy

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I can't believe how quiet this thread is compared to the Popcorn Hour one!! Everyone moaning it's going to be months before they get a PH cos they're number 9000 odd , why not just get one of these instead, it's exactly the same chipset and firmware (Network Media Tank), just a different case (with a power button!), VGA output and coaxial and optical digital output. Ok the remote is crap but it's being replaced free of charge when the new one is sorted out (by the end of this month).

Downinja

I can't believe how quiet this thread is compared to the Popcorn Hour one!! Everyone moaning it's going to be months before they get a PH cos they're number 9000 odd , why not just get one of these instead, it's exactly the same chipset and firmware (Network Media Tank), just a different case (with a power button!), VGA output and coaxial and optical digital output. Ok the remote is crap but it's being replaced free of charge when the new one is sorted out (by the end of this month).

The price is ever so slightly higher, but I with you, I thought there would be people jumping all over this that were wanting a PCH.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Think we need a mod on here.

Hi :)
Just deleted that post as it was clearly a spammer. :mad:
If you do feel a post is suspicious,click on the post report. :smashin:
Thanks. :)
First post of the thread,not your one rhubarbe . ;)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Yes I think so, I think it will upscale anything you playback to the output resolution you set it to

Cheers
Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett