1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Mini Dv camcorder worse picture quality than my 8 year old Hi 8 camcorder, Why?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Duster, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Mini Dv camcorder worse picture quality than my 8 year old Hi 8 camcorder, Why?

Hi having just got a new Mini DV camcorder to replace my old Hi8, I find that the picture quality is much worse than my old Hi8 camcorder, The digital one is suppose to be replacing the Hi8, But I find the picture to be not as sharp, and more grainy that the Hi8, why is this? I was told at the time that digital was supposed to be much better than Hi8.

Thank you for any info. :(

2. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't mention which cameras - but yes, in theory, miniDV has better resolution than Hi-8. But the CCD, the lens etc can affect that. You can get professional miniDV cameras but you wouldn't expect the picture quality on a £350 entry level model to be as good.

I guess one thing perhaps is possible that the Hi-8 picture was a bit soft/ fuzzy which made it look less grainy ? But you probably would have noticed that.

3. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Choddo,
    Thanks for your reply,
    Well to be fair, the Hi8 camcorder was about £800 at the time, and my new Mini DV Camcorder was only £450. But i thought that after 8 years that the picture quilty of camcorders would have improved.

Also I have noticed that the colour balance is very bad on this new camcorder(Canon MV500), when I recorded something purple, on the screen it comes out as blue, and things that are mid blue come out as light blue, this is under normal daylight
    The old camcorder always got the colours right....

I wish I had saved my money, and bought a better model.

Thanks for your reply

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a problem I found too Duster.

I had a cheap Samsung 8mm that had a great picture. I bought a Sony IP5 and have been very disapointed.

Picture quality indoors is particularly bad whereas the Samsung was brilliant.

5. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi OG,
    Thanks for reply.....
    So its not just a Canon problem then....... I wonder if digital 8 has the same problems?

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG,
    The sony IP series are not "real DV" cameras, but use MPEG-2 transferred by the same firewire. So the video is smaller, but the picture quality is much more compressed than native DV encoding. So I can see how a good Hi8 could look better.

Duster,
    Unfortunately an £800 Hi8 would have been a very good camera, the £400 canon is an entry level DV. This is a classic case of the best of old being as good as, if not better than the cheap of new. Personally I went from a £400 sony Hi8 to a mid-level sony DV, and the different was night to day. Also are you using the s-video connection?? With composite the extent of the DV quality can be limited.

7. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Xeonic
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes I am using the s-video connection, as I just want to connect it to my S-video recorder & TV.
    Is their a better way of connecting a DV camcorder to a video recorder than s-video?

If I connect to my PC Will I see an improvement in picture quality?
    I dont have the correct lead at the moment, but I can get one.

I'd perfure to record to video, than to my Pc's HD.

Thanks again for your help

8. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, s-video is about as good as it gets, since consumer DV cams don't seem to have RGB output. However the easiest way to connect your camera to the PC is via a firewire (1394) socket, and some apps will then allow a full screen display of the video, so yes you should see what the video really looks like.

9. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Xeonic,
    Thanks for your reply.
    i'll have to get the firewire lead, I have the port on my pc, but have never used it.....Can you tell me what software you use?
    thanks.....

What camcoder did your get? & do you lose much picture quality if you use the S-Video connection with this camcorder?

Thanks again for your help.....

10. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

s-video is not as good as firewire which transfers a 100% accurate digital version of the recorded video, but it is a pretty reasonable analog format. I use it to connect my PS2 and Gamecube to my TV and the difference compared to an RGB connection is noticeable but not huge.

The quality of the DAC in the camera and the cable can also affect how good your picture over s-video is. You don't have this "problem" when using firewire. The problem you have instead is how to get the video to your TV :) My decision was to write it onto DVD which I am finding is a very complex task!

C

11. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Double reply again :)

Duster
    I got a PC-10, which is the predecessor of the PC-110/120 mini-cams. As I said pic quality, even over s-video is very good. For editing software on a PC, the range is enormous, ranging from free stuff like virtualdub to entry-level like Pinnacle Studio, mid-level like canopus and pinnacle DV500 to $$ systems in four figure price-tags.

Choddo
    Very true, it's the DAC performance why some entry-level DV cams do not seem to have the same quality as others. If you want to create MPEG-2 for dvd, try tmpegenc - although not the faster encoder, it has very good quality, and is free for 30 days.

vcdhelp has much more info on both of these topics ;)

12. Duster

Duster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the help......:) I understand alot more now.