New migrants take students' summer jobs

Be thankful you don't live in Slough, Ethics stop it ;)

There are thousands of Polish people in Slough now, way more than the official government figures.
Estimates I beleive are at least 20,000.

Mylo said:
Be thankful you don't live in Slough
Slough (John Betjeman, 1937)

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town -
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
Who'll always cheat and always win,
Who washes his repulsive skin
In women's tears,

And smash his desk of polished oak
And smash his hands so used to stroke
And stop his boring dirty joke
And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad;
It's not their fault that they are mad,
They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It's not their fault they often go
To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
In various bogus-Tudor bars
And daren't look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
And dry it in synthetic air
And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
To get it ready for the plough.
The cabbages are coming now;
The earth exhales.

very droll, not, any input to the thread perhaps ?:rolleyes:

This is one of the richest business towns in the country :lesson:

I blame the irish....oh wait a minute, my mum's one.....

Mylo said:
very droll, not, any input to the thread perhaps ?:rolleyes:

This is one of the richest business towns in the country :lesson:
- sorry couldn't help it... I thought my avatar was a clue ;)

pretty much worked throughout the year as a student in Uni, College and Secondary School. students always find it hard to get summer jobs especially the ones who wait until the summer to apply for a summer job...

Always a few jobs going half way through the summer as well as alot of poor students carnt cope with being asked to get up in a morning for very long so soon jack there jobs in and go home to mommy and daddy.

When I was a student I worked all year round and used to see this all the time so not bitter at all;) :D

Reign-Mack said:
pretty much worked throughout the year as a student in Uni, College and Secondary School. students always find it hard to get summer jobs especially the ones who wait until the summer to apply for a summer job...
Exactly.

Good to see the right wing press still doing their best to keep this hobby horse going...........

Slough? Sorry Mylo, but what a hole!:D

Mylo said:
Be thankful you don't live in Slough, Ethics stop it ;)

There are thousands of Polish people in Slough now, way more than the official government figures.
Estimates I beleive are at least 20,000.

Aye - the council tax issue is becomming pretty serious with the rather large discrepancy in funding.

Not very happy having to make up the difference because they underestimate the figures by oh approximately 2,900% .... and thats only the official figures, god knows what the real figure is.

All because someone is :

a) not doing their job properly.
b) being vague in an attempt to deflate a hot political issue.

.... I and many others have to pay extra on top of already inflation busting tax bills. :(

overkill said:
Slough? Sorry Mylo, but what a hole!:D
I remember when someone put up a very official looking sign as you drive into Slough saying "Twinned with Chernobyl" :)

I remember when someone put up a very official looking sign as you drive into Slough saying "Twinned with Chernobyl"

Didn't it get taken down after an official complaint from Chernobyl.... they reckon they wern't that bad. :rotfl:

Pat_C said:
I remember when someone put up a very official looking sign as you drive into Slough saying "Twinned with Chernobyl" :)
Twinned with Chernobyl? I thought it was twinned with Salt Lake City?:D ;)

overkill said:
Twinned with Chernobyl? I thought it was twinned with Salt Lake City?:D ;)

Ofc I would love to live in Maidenhead or anywhere else, but due to socio ecconomic reasons I simply can't afford to like many other people living in the area.....

...... YOU SNOB

:D

I left Maidenhead to live in Slough:rolleyes: , got bored of the town centre being like a gladiator academy every weekend. More pubs and fast food outlets than anywhere I've ever been. The house prices also made it impossible to consider at the time.

To go back on topic, I feel slightly sorry for the summer job seekers. Eastern Europeans who will work like dogs for very little money price them out of the market.

Mylo said:
I feel slightly sorry for the summer job seekers. Eastern Europeans who will work like dogs for very little money price them out of the market.
Its not that difficult for students to find vacation work, but if they must insist on going back to Mummy and Daddy's (in a non-university town perhaps) they can hardly expect to find a job on a plate for them for much more than min wage. Students are just as guilty as employers, pricing themselves out of the market.

This is being blown out of proportion by the usual suspects, with Eastern European workers an easy target. As someone who's continuously lived and/or worked in university towns/cities for the last 16 years (London, Leicester, Bath, Cambridge, Oxford, etc), I know what I'm talking about. All students I know are not finding it difficult to get a part-time job or full-time summer job... just a matter of pulling their finger out and not expecting to earn ****loads. There is plenty of casual labour on offer in university towns over the Summer!!

I can only speak of what I've seen in this town. I know loads of Polish lads though and they work seriously hard and do long hours as catering contractors.
Personally there's no problem with the Europeans as this town already has the most diverse population outside of London.

I won't go into the economic points raised by EG as that's another thread all together;)

Ultimatly who would you rather employ, a mega hard working polish person who will work 12 hours a day, wants to build a new life and stay with you, and was a trained accountant in Poland. Or a Lazy moaning student who is gonna leave after 2 months.

Lawrenzini said:
Ultimatly who would you rather employ, a mega hard working polish person who will work 12 hours a day, wants to build a new life and stay with you, and was a trained accountant in Poland. Or a Lazy moaning student who is gonna leave after 2 months.

That's very true but there's a whole world out there willing to do the same, except they're restricted.
Yet there are no quotas on how many people can come here from the new EC members where their wages are significantly lower.

We have Bulgaria and Romania joining next, the two poorest countries in Europe. I don't see how no cap on numbers ultimately benefits this country.

Joe90sDad said:
That's very true but there's a whole world out there willing to do the same, except they're restricted.
Yet there are no quotas on how many people can come here from the new EC members where their wages are significantly lower.

We have Bulgaria and Romania joining next, the two poorest countries in Europe. I don't see how no cap on numbers ultimately benefits this country.
Simple. If there aren't jobs they won't come. Why migrate to a country if there's no work?

You could try influencing business not to promote jobs in Eastern Europe and elsewhere, but that's hardly likely now is it?

As with everything there is always a balance. People are leaving this country for more lucrative work elsewhere or to retire. In some areas of Europe the English already outnumber (by some margin) the local inhabitants. Yet, do we hear them demanding a cap?

Actually I do wonder why the French, who aren't exactly in love with us, haven't yet..........:D

EG, I used to visit Slough for the flicks there. It must be the only place I've ever been to where the Cinema was the only place worth visiting!:D

overkill said:
...People are leaving this country for more lucrative work elsewhere or to retire. In some areas of Europe the English already outnumber (by some margin) the local inhabitants. Yet, do we hear them demanding a cap?

Actually I do wonder why the French, who aren't exactly in love with us, haven't yet..........:D ...

Indeed ex-pat Brits retired/settled in France and Spain are widely thought to be a burden on their public sectors, esp. healthcare

I didn't have many problems getting a job over summer, but a few of my friends did, and so were stuck doing bar work that they're sick of.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom