1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MF HTP600 pre / processor

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Nuno Santos, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As all of you probably know by now, Musical Fidelity has a new HT pre/pro out on the market. I haven't been able to hear it yet, so, can anyone say something about how it compares with TAG's AV32R (both on musical and feature terms)?
    I also would like to know about the HTP's upgrade capabilities. The AV32R will be soon upgradable to DD EX, DTS ES and DPL II, so this might be a deciding factor.

I cant find any info about digital resolution and sampling on the DAC's and ADC's of the HTP600. Can anyone give further info?

Cheers,

NS

2. cyberdudelion

cyberdudelion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I e-mailed Audio Advisor (US distributor for MF) when I first saw the HTP on their website enquiring whether it could handle Surround ES Discrete and EX formats. This was their reply:
    "No, there are no options for the formats that you desire at this time. I think IF these formats become popular, you will probably see some kind of upgrade, but I would suspect that it would be a while. It does not have an Rs-232 port."

The TAG is one of the best reviewed units and it is upgradeable. Check out their website. Seem to offer upgrades often via the website. They also offer a 7.1 version of the AVR 32. (you can upgrade via hardware to this spec if you have the 5.1 unit). Saw the insides of the unit at Live 2000. Most of the chips were made in Malaysia.

Have you considered the option of a Denon AVC-1SE or AVR 3801 with extra power amps if you want more power/better sound.

[This message has been edited by cyberdudelion (edited 13-11-2000).]

3. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have listened to both at a demo In London, and from first impressions I personally preferred the MF it sounded much more open and warmer than the Tag AV32R.Expecially when used with MF X-A200 mono blocs which will cost you an extra £500 for the 5 you would require for surround (£2500). However I am going to be going for the Tag for two main reasons

1. It is more highly upgradeable. I spoke to MF about the upgrade path for the HT and I was vaguely told that something was planned for sometime next year. There did not seem to be anything in the brochure they sent me relating to this, and I got the impression that they not as committed to upgrades as Tag are. I think the Tag AV32R is probably one of the most upgradeable processors out there due to it use of the Analogue Devices Sharc chip and its RS 232 slot for software upgrades.

2. Contrary to what I expected, the HT HTP combo was seriously thrashed in the current issue of HCC. A must read for anyone thinking of buying this processor. I think it probably got the worst review I have read for any pre/pro and power combination. Being a very fickle guy when it comes to hifi products, I cannot bring myself to spend lots of dosh on a product that has been rated as being way too overpriced. The surprising thing though is that the MF got a decent "First Looks" review in Home Entertainment, though admittedly this wasn't as detailed or involved as the HHC review.

I would strongly recommend you find a dealer that stocks both products and listen to it yourself. I know Sevenoaks Hifi in Swiss Cottage London have both, and they seemed to like and recommend the MF. Just goes to show really.

Regards

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Musical Fidelity combo is on test in this months HCC (supplement). The pre did ok (sound wise) but the power stage got panned.

------------------
    "I amaze myself sometimes, I'm always thinking"