Quantcast

New menu system now online

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
We have another new menu system now online (we seem to change it often, don't we?!)
This one was written for us by Kier Darby, the vBulletin lead developer from 2002-2009.
The core menu system used within vBulletin has never changed. We use it for the drop-down menus in the navbar for Quick Links etc.
The main menu system used at the top of the site was a secondary system used to create more tiers and designed to mimic the core menu system. It used several additional image files and lots and lots of javascript. This menu is the one we have changed often and never been happy with.

The changes we implemented today enhance the core menu system so that it does everything we need. As a result the main menu system we had running the tabs and more recently the redesigned top menu has been removed completely.

So now our new menu is
  • Easier to use because mega menus allow a better overview of the available links
  • Faster, using over 100k less javascript
  • Faster because it uses many fewer images
  • Faster because we have one single menu system rather than two
  • Faster because there is no need for a noscript version of the menu for search engines.
  • More search engine friendly because it uses HTML and CSS rather than Javascript.
  • More search engine friendly because it is faster.

Because the nature of the mega menu does not suit the styling of the old menu, we decided to change the colour scheme, which we feel is more modern and simpler.

A note to Internet Explorer 6 and 7 users : Unfortunately due to a bug in IE6 and 7, the menu will exhibit some anomalies (the odd blank box open when it shouldn't be). The menu is still usable, but we are not going to make the menu less efficient to accommodate a Microsoft bug.
Obviously we recommend that you upgrade your browser to a better one for this and many other (mainly security related) reasons. We recommend Firefox or Chrome.

Last edited:

liltman

I like it, but how many times is it going to change lol, I keep getting lost due to it changing so much.

How do you get to the latest classifieds now, when I click it now I get taken to a page were I have to pick a section. Which is good but I liked it when I could do both.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I really like it and think it is a step forward in updating AVF

Nice work Stuart and Kier :thumbsup:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I like it, but how many times is it going to change lol, I keep getting lost due to it changing so much.

How do you get to the latest classifieds now, when I click it now I get taken to a page were I have to pick a section. Which is good but I liked it when I could do both.
There will certainly be tweaks as it beds in, but the main menu system will now stay the same until we upgrade to a new forum platform.

Re the classifieds, 'do both' what?

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
There will certainly be tweaks as it beds in, but the main menu system will now stay the same until we upgrade to a new forum platform.

Re the classifieds, 'do both' what?
I think liltman is asking about the expansion showing the sub forums of the classifieds.

Like the other sections have

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I think liltman is asking about the expansion showing the sub forums of the classifieds.

Like the other sections have
The menu never had that facility. I am working on adding it into the new one, though.

liltman

Hi sorry, will try explain better.

In previous menu when I clicked on the menu at the top I could do this:

Forums > Classifieds

It would then take me to a page with all the latest posts that people are selling/trading.

If I wanted to go to a sub section then I could also do that...it's not a problem mind but I liked just checking the latest posts very quickly and that is the link I used to use the most.

Hope that makes sense.

Dextur

They look great and operate beautifully, much better .

My only comment would be I would prefer the action
to trigger on rollover rather than click.

Bar that, money well spent IMO, way easier to nav.

liltman

The classifieds page is now doing what it used to and taking me to a page of the latest posts! :)

Which is great, and then if I want a specific section I can also look for that. Keep it this way!

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
What is nosquint?

fyonn

I've got a problem with this new menu system. I use safari on OSX and almost always browse AVForums with the browser "zoomed in" to make the text larger. when zoomed in, clicking on menu's brings up the menu, but it's not in the right place, it's off to the side and I have to scroll to it.

a similar thing happens with thumbnail images, but this happened before as well, I just never complained about it (before, the menu's were in the right place though). :) I'll click on a thumbnail and it'll open up the picture, and it'll appear below where I am on the screen and as soon as I try to scroll to it, it disappears.

Both this and the menu problem are fixed by reverting the zoom level to normal, but I'd really like both to work when I'm zoomed in as it makes the text easier to read for me.

has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks

David

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Useful Firefox Extension for HTPCs with high resolutions without the downsides to having the browser resize text:

NoSquint: Firefox Extension

However, I disabled NoSquint and still get the same issue at 1080p.
Can you try disabling all your plugins to double check it's not one of them?

eiren

Distinguished Member
Can you try disabling all your plugins to double check it's not one of them?
Just confirmed that it's still an issue even after disabling all plug-ins.

If you switch to 1360x768 it becomes even more obvious than at 1080p.

Height attribute to -1% sometimes helps with divs that don't expand with the text like that?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
What happens if you reduce your font size in the browser to the default?

limblee

I doubt its related to the new menu, but when I receive subscribed threads emails, the email no longer contains the actual text of the new post. Instead I have to visit the site to see the post, which is time consuming and bandwidth hungry from my mobile phone. Any chance of fixing/changing it back? pretty please ..

stblob

The the menu is now even worst to use on a mobile (Samsung jet):thumbsdow
AV Forums should be made more mobile freindly.:lease:
The classified section is now rubbish:thumbsdow

This site is just getting harder and harder to use.:mad:

The new threads on the main page where better. They where removed long ago:(

I love my smily faces:thumbsup:

Maybe its just me:facepalm:

Mat-Moo

Novice Member
No offence Stuart, but much better than your last replacement :) Finding it much easier to navigate now, well done!

slang701

Novice Member
Could you guys set up new post alert button for all members? So, we can check out the latest threads or posts after we log in.