New member would like advice: before buying a system

davidcook1970

Novice Member
Hi everyone, I’ve just joined and would like some advice and alternative suggestions if possible.

I’m just starting to collect vinyl again, so am now looking to pull a system together.
just reading through reviews I have come up with the following, and would like some thoughts on whether this is a decent set up or what other products I could look at.

Turntable - Pro-ject debut, carbon evo
Amp/streamer - Marantz PM7000N
Speakers - Q Acoustics Q3050i

i am budgeting for around £2k

room is small/medium, music I listen to is mainly the old school rave acid house and electro

thanks in advance

Helix Hifi

Hi everyone, I’ve just joined and would like some advice and alternative suggestions if possible.

I’m just starting to collect vinyl again, so am now looking to pull a system together.
just reading through reviews I have come up with the following, and would like some thoughts on whether this is a decent set up or what other products I could look at.

room is small/medium, music I listen to is mainly the old school rave acid house and electro

thanks in advance
The speakers, amplifier should fine.

The Q43050i is not difficult to drive for the amplifier.

And the Marantz even though it does not have massive power output on paper, well sound very good. It has very good power supply.

And since the room is small it should be fine.

Regarding TT it is not my expertise, however always heard project makes good TT.

Helix Hifi

Other members probably well have more expertise regarding TT.

But there are many members that likes REGA TT.

I as said don’t know.

What you need to look after is if the amplifier supports MM, MC cartridges.

Have always heard MC is better then MM cartridges. Still that may just be an online rumor...

Marantz uses a very good phono stage.

And if I’m not mistaken the Marantz amplifier supports MM cartridges.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the Rega System One.

They've pulled together a bundle of the RP1 turntable, IO amplifier, Kyte speakers and all interconnects and cables.

£999.

I heard it at the Bristol HiFi show last February and, for the money, it sounded amazing.

Helix Hifi

They've pulled together a bundle of the RP1 turntable, IO amplifier, Kyte speakers and all interconnects and cables.

£999.

I heard it at the Bristol HiFi show last February and, for the money, it sounded amazing.
Nice set up from REGA.

Still it is only stand mounted speakers. In my opinion you need a subwoofer if you are going to use stand mounted speakers.

The 3050i is better in my opinion.

Helix Hifi

It depends on what sound OP wants.

Warm sound-Marantz.

Fairly warm sound-Rega.

Subwoofer output or not?

The Marantz has both DAC, subwoofer output.

Rega is pure analog amplifier, no digital inputs (no DAC build in) and no subwoofer put.

DAC may be wise to have if he wants to connect the amp/streamer to the TV as example.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

£999.

I’m with Bob here.

Rega are legends.

Their experience and skill in TT manufacturing is literally second to none.

Their amplifiers are also renowned. As is their speaker crafting ability.

For your budget you’ll not beat this.

acgingersnaps

I'd say the QA 3050i sound flabby. Stand mounts at that price level all day long, imho. There are a host of cracking stand mounts in the £500 to £1000 region. Very few excellent floorstanders.
If floorstanding is a deal breaker then these are far superior to the 3050i.

Q Acoustics Concept 40 Floorstanding Speakers

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I'd buy better speakers tbh they're not that good for a 2k budget.

1k speakers (minimum)

Streamer doesn't need to be massively fancy 200-300
Chuck the rest at TT and cables

ah I seen a flaw in my plans - amp

davidcook1970

Novice Member
This is all really useful, what I’ve picked is from literally trawling through reviews on various sites. Also trying to keep the number of pieces £own.

But I’m open to a separate streamer and amp, plus can do stand speakers rather than floor mounts.

just more convenient I suppose having just the 3 items.

I guess a good separate streamer and amp would work as well, not needed to connect tv or anything, purely to stream internet radio, and heos would be good.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you’d like to spend more than the original idea package then how about these.

Quite awesome all round.

Ps, the Kefs are legendary three way legends. All you’re ever likely to need without a ten grand budget.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Here is a little more information on what I’ve mentioned

I think you be able to do ‘different’ for your budget, but as good? Unlikely.

And better? Just about impossible.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I did have that in my list as well, I guess if I go separate amp and streamer as well, that would be a possibility, I could go to £2,5k if it meant getting it right

As you’ve mentioned a bigger budget then it would be remiss of me not to mention this instead of the Brio.

Everything the Brio does but better and more. And the Kefs are certainly capable of appreciating that.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Nice set up from REGA.

Still it is only stand mounted speakers. In my opinion you need a subwoofer if you are going to use stand mounted speakers.

The 3050i is better in my opinion.
My stand-mount Ophidian Mojos don't need a sub-woofer - their bass depth and quality is quite something.
In fact, for listening to music, I fail to grasp the obsession some people have with sub-woofers. But everyone's experience is different I guess.

Having heard the System One in a less-than ideal environment, for the money, it presents an amazing package.

Obviously, there are a million and one options, and I wasn't able to compare to the QA3050is, nor was I looking to.

Just throwing an option into the pot for there OP.

gava

thanks in advance
Actually I think that would be pretty good.

Upgrade the 3050i to the Concept 40 if you can.

gibbsy

I'm running KEF R300s with a Rega Elicit-R. Perfect partners. The R300s are legendary.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom