New member with no posts following a bunch of us

Just found some zero and single post members/spammers/bots following me. Can't delete/block followers.

Ooh some reciprocal following there - maybe some romance is blossoming

Could be that all those on the list have won a free holiday...

What's the point of discussing it and asking everyone else about it though?
How is anyone else going to know why a random stranger on the internet has chosen to do something?
If you don't like him following you there should be an option somewhere to block him.

Honestly, if you don’t think there any point in discussing things on a forum do you really think you are the correct person to be moderating such things? There has been plenty of useful points raised about it possibly being a bot or collecting email address or other information. Your initial and subsequent reaction was to point the finger at me doing something wrong. This does not not promote the friendly atmosphere I am used to around these parts or encourage further discussion.

If I block this person does it prevent them from following me and seeing my posts or only prevent me from seeing their posts (of which there isn’t any)?

If I block this person does it prevent them from following me and seeing my posts or only prevent me from seeing their posts (of which there isn’t any)?

Rather annoyingly they can still see your posts (been informed) but I believe they cannot follow and you will not see their posts.

This was one point I was going to make a thread about in the Feedback forum, but decided it would probably be pointless /

Honestly, if you don’t think there any point in discussing things on a forum do you really think you are the correct person to be moderating such things? There has been plenty of useful points raised about it possibly being a bot or collecting email address or other information. Your initial and subsequent reaction was to point the finger at me doing something wrong. This does not not promote the friendly atmosphere I am used to around these parts or encourage further discussion.

You specifically asked what was going on with this person following you. I pointed out that the only person who knows that is the person who has chosen to follow you. If you want to discuss the follow system in general, no problem, but that wasn't what you asked and that's all I've referred to.
I'm not sure what the issue is anyway, its a public forum on the world wide web, everyone can see what you post. Someone following you doesn't see more content or have the ability to see email addresses or personal data. All following does is show their posts in a followers newsfeed.

I am not a moderator in this section and even if I was I'd still be a member and entitled to my opinions just like you are.

If you have issue or concerns about one of the features of the forum then raise it in the feedback and support section where the correct people will see it.

Well he's not following me .. don't know whether to be grateful or hurt .. ive never had a stalker might make a change.

I am not a moderator in this section

There's a Moderator title under your name and avatar - is that just a title awarded after a certain amount of posts on these forums? Usually it means that person is a forum moderator with moderator privileges...

There's a Moderator title under your name and avatar - is that just a title awarded after a certain amount of posts on these forums? Usually it means that person is a forum moderator with moderator privileges...

Not sure why you've picked that point out of the entire thread, but as I said I don't moderate this section so here I am just a normal member the same as you. It doesn't really matter whether it says moderator under my name on the same way it doesn't matter whether anyone elses says novice member, active member or whatever.

Forums generally have section mods, so they deal with a limited amount of sub forums and global mods who have mod privileges in all sub forums. Then obv admin who are the big cheese.

Moderators are assigned/choose their own specific forum areas to moderate.
eg a moderator might be assigned the video games section to moderate, but aren’t moderators in the movie section etc
They don’t moderate the entire site.

Not sure why you've picked that point out of the entire thread,

Because it was the only bit I didn't understand.

It doesn't really matter whether it says moderator under my name

Yes it does, because a Moderator is who members turn to when they need forum help. So if I needed help in this forum, I would have instinctively approached you because you have a moderator tag on display.

Now I know you are not a global mod, I'll know better.

Because it was the only bit I didn't understand.

Yes it does, because a Moderator is who members turn to when they need forum help. So if I needed help in this forum, I would have instinctively approached you because you have a moderator tag on display.

Ah, ok. I thought you were discussing the thread topic not general moderation.
As already said there are lots of moderators and we all cover different sections. At the top of each forum section though is a button labelled moderators and clicking that will bring up the list of moderators for that particular section with 'start a conversation' buttons so you can message them.

If you click on this at the top of a forum subsection, then you can see who is a moderator for that section
30752747-EDF0-4C0C-BA96-68607CD57905.jpeg

I got notification of a new follower on this site so clicked through to see who it is (because curiosity for the better of me). It turns out it is a new member from the USA who has made absolute zero contribution to the site.
I checked out his profile to see he is following quite a few regular GC contributors and can’t for the life of me figure out why?
Can anybody shed some light on this? Seems strange to me and I find it a little uncomfortable.

View attachment 1294216
Perhaps they should be flattered! Many people do research including me but I do try to contribute in a small way.

I don't even know how you find this information. I guess it would help if I explored my profile once in a while :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom