New Member - Themescene H79 Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pscamm, Mar 24, 2006.

1. pscamm

pscamm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    It's my 1st time here, looks great - was wondering if you guy's mind me asking a question ???
    Just on the verge of purchasing a Themescene H79 and was looking for feedback from current owners on what they think of it if compared to other Pj's at around this price range. I will be using a screen of matt white at around 1.0 - 1.2 gain ???

Thanks if anyone can help

Paul

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    I think it performs very well and compares equally well (if not better) with other models IMHO. It got a very good review in the US magazine Widescreen Review which also examines their capabilities on a technical level, rather than just a visual impression, so you would know how it would perform under certain conditions (what screen size, room conditions etc).

They're even better value now that the price has dropped. What size screen will you be using?

Gary

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Gets a :thumbsup: from me. Probably one of the best true contrast pj's out there, ie doesn't use auto iris jiggery-pockery to improve it. Definitely a good step up from my Infocus 7205: better detail, contrast, more stable picture, better colours, quieter, easier to install.

4. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    pscamm

Before you jump in and buy the H79 make sure you go and have a demo of it first to check out your personal sensitivity to the DLP phenomenon know as the rainbow effect. Do a search on these forums for more details.

You may have no issues with it, in which case the H79 is a fantastic projector
    but bear in mind a small percentage of people can't watch DLP machines due to this effect.

Also the replacement for the H79 is due out very soon in the US so it may not be too long before we see it over here.

5. pscamm

pscamm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    Gary lightfoot - nice loft conversion - looking like i may be going for a 16:9 2.2m (86 1/2") wide x 123.75m (48 3/4") hight (viewable area), 1.1 gain electric remote screen. Would have liked to go bigger but room obsticles make it impossible but the above fit's with my throw distance of 14' 6". I intend on seeing this screen in action 1st though before buying, hopefully with my pj under my arm.
    I have already seen the H79 in action at my local dealer and lucky for me and the Mrs the only 'rainbows' evident were up the wicked witch of the west's arse :D , it aint gonna be a problem i dont think.
    Insidently, i probibly think a bit different than most, at my demo, i took a movie on dvd so i could see what it was like. Was a 2:35.1 movie and the black borders on top and bottom still got on my nearves like on normal tv. Is there any way you can effectively chop the sides off and zoom in maybe so i can fill up the full 16:9 screen, unlike most i see on the forums, id prefer to miss a little on the sides & gain a full screen image (dont mind little borders ie 185:1 though :smashin: ).

<- Wonders what the replacement will be ???

cheers
    Paul

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    The H79 has a digital zoom function as well as a motorised one, so you could use either to blow the image up to fill the screen. It will look a bit more chunky due to the resolution of the source.

Gary

7. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    :rotfl:

That's good news. I love the DLP picture but I find rainbows for my eyes too much of a distraction.

Good luck with the install.

Zag