• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New member: speaker info needed

clips

Standard Member
Hello all. I am wanting to buy a new pair of bookshelf speakers for my system. My speakers have always been the weak link. About 9 or so years ago I purchased an Arcam Alpha 7 amplifier, followed that with an Alpha 7 CD and then the Alpha 8 tuner. I also run an old reel to reel (sony) as well as a newer Music Hall turn table. I am looking for a speaker that will be warm sounding (bright speakers do not seem to add to my listening enjoyment). I have just started researching and have seen names like B&W, Monitor Audio, Boston Acoustics and others and I would like some guidance on brands and models to listen to. My budget is US $400 to $650.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
If you really dont like a brighter sound then be careful with MA. They are a tad on the brighter side, which I like, but in a hard room and with poor recordings they wont work well for you.

Make sue you give them a listen first :smashin:.

Thats said the BR2s will work well with your amp (I know you were looking at them in another thread), you just need to make sure they are for you first. I suspect the B&Ws may be more to your liking.

clips

Standard Member
If you really dont like a brighter sound then be careful with MA. They are a tad on the brighter side, which I like, but in a hard room and with poor recordings they wont work well for you.

Make sue you give them a listen first :smashin:.

Thats said the BR2s will work well with your amp (I know you were looking at them in another thread), you just need to make sure they are for you first. I suspect the B&Ws may be more to your liking.

Yes, I will listen to both. The B&W's are easier to find. I wish the BR1 would make me fall in love with a US price of $480, but the BR2 is about the same as the 685 (I will also listen to the 686 but I am betting I will like the 685 better). When I got the arcam and compared it to my old pioneer 9100, same speakers set up to both, I could not believe the difference in warmth. I pay guitar and always seek warm but not bottom heavy, I think it is just what my ears prefer.

Thanks again for your guidance.

chantrys

Established Member
To my ears I find that my Quad 12L bookshelf speakers pair very well with my Arcam gear (as do my ProAc 1SC - but slightly above your budget). The Quads offer a slightly warmer-side of neutral sound and are capable with many different genres of music.

Other bookshelf speakers that I auditioned that I also liked were by AudioVector and Dynaudio.

Good luck with your search.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom