1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member Question DVD to Receiver Connection

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Gti Jazz Blue, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I've just joined the forum, found it doing a search for reviews on AV kit.

I have just purchased an Ex-Demo Yamaha RX-V1400RDS after checking out the feedback on here and the review link that appears at the top of the forum, from SevenOaks.

Well now to my question, I currently run a Sony TAV8ES AMP so my Pioneer DVD565A is doing the processing and I use the 5.1 input on the Sony.

Now when I get my Yamaha (should be here tomorrow) which is the best connection to use for the digital bitstream ? Should I use optical or co-ax digital connection ?

Also I will be initially only using the receiver in 5.1 mode as I only have the room for a 5.1 setup until I move, I take it I just use the receivers none setting for the extra surround speakers in the setup.

I currently run Mission 752 Freedoms for fronts 75C Centre and 733i acting as my rear speakers. Also have a cheap Paragdim sub (I must get round to changing it).

Cheers,

Paul

(PS excuse the handle, I use the same handle on all forums)

2. sput2001

sput2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmmmm... there's precious little to choose between them. I prefer co-axial as I think it's a bit more reliable, but I've read that optical is better if you've got a longer than average cable run. You should get great results with either, and you'll certainly notice the difference between digital input and 6-channel analogue inputs.

3. Gti Jazz Blue

Gti Jazz Blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that.

I will probably order a co-ax lead from the guy on here in the near future.

The amp turned up minus the remote and setup mic so I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. I have an optical lead between my CD and MD deck (which is going to be retired) so I'll use that to start with.

I have received the missing remoe and mic today so as I'm out tonight I should be setting it up tomorrow evening.

:smashin: For Sevenoaks selling me the ex-dem amp for £400 but a temporary :thumbsdow for forgetting to check everything was in the box before shipping (even though I asked him on the phone).