New member needs VCR advice.

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by SoundBox, Sep 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SoundBox

SoundBox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

This is my first post (I am a new member to this board), and I look forward to sharing and joining in with threads where I can.

I am afraid that I must start with a question. Firstly, I have just invested in a new AV kit, with which I am most satisfied. I purchased a Samsung TV, Panasonic SVHS recorder (930) and a Toshiba DVD player.
    The question concerns the VCR. My old and now deceased Panasonic (non SVHS) deck was used to archive my precious home movies, and there are some wonderful moments on those tapes (including some sadly deceased family and friends) but when the tapes are played on my new deck the HiFi track drops in and out, and there is a constant ‘roar’ on the right hand channel when I can make it play (by tinkering with the tracking). Pre-recorded tapes are fine, as are tapes made on my father’s machine. It also plays back it’s own recordings perfectly.

Any info on why the roaring noise and HiFi troubles affects my tapes playback would be much appreciated - and any way of stopping it (if possible).

I have tried to get information from the dealer who sold me the SVHS deck but he did not know the answer. I bought the last deck he had so I cannot try another unfortunately (although I don’t think that it is faulty as such as it works on most tapes). After spending over £300 on it I had hoped for a bit of back-up if needed, but he seemed more interested in showing me a DVD recorder, which is of no use to me as I need to put my camcorder footage onto tape (where I can edit it and use audio dub and the like).

Anyway, If anybody can help with my question it would be very much appreciated.

Regards, Ian (SoundBox)

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Editing - use a PC - much easier - then burn to DVD

Try borrowing a couple of VCRs until you find one which works then use it to transfer to DVD

3. SoundBox

SoundBox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Martin,

Thank you for taking time to reply. I will give what you say a go, and try some other VCR's. Unfortunatly I do not have my own computer so that is why I had to go down the tape route...

My coleague who has a DVD recorder informed that it is not an option to edit on DVD recorders as you can only FF or RW in blocks of five minutes, which is no good for cutting out unwanted footage. He also complained that the results are not as good as VHS in the fact that they are very blocky and no good for low-light films as the detail is lost...

Sadly it seems that I am not enjoying making home movies as much as I did a few years ago because of all the problems trying to get a decent result :-(

Cheers for the help,

Ian

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The reason for the problem with playback of the old tapes is probably one of two things:

1. The Hi-Fi heads in your original VCR may have been worn when the recordings were made. If this is the case, it is unlikely that you will be able to retrieve the Hi-Fi soundtrack. You could just switch over to the normal mono soundtrack which should be perfectly usable, although the quality won't be as good.

2. The tape path alignment in one of the VCRs is/was incorrect. It sounds unlikely that the new VCR is the culprit as it plays back other tapes OK. It is therefore possible that the old VCR was wrongly aligned when the recordings were made. You can check this by trying to play your tapes on a different VCR. The only way to retrieve the recordings if this is the case is to get a decent engineer to temporarily align your new VCR with the old recordings so you can copy them.

The reason that the noise is worse on the right channel is because the right channel uses a higher FM carrier frequency (1.8MHz) than the left (1.4MHz) for the Hi-Fi sound. When the heads wear or if the alignment is incorrect, the higher frequencies are first to go.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have transfered quite a bit of Betamax stuff to DVD via the PC and the results are good.

I use a quite good MPEG2 - TMPGENC is a good one to try

Analogue capture I do raw uncompressed.

PC editing is easier and more fun than assemble editing on vcrs - especially when my edit decks heads were £300 fitted.