New member need help deciding on speaker update.

Bustamoves

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi folk, new member here, thought I'd ask the guys who've probably tried and tested rarther than internet reviews which is not always as it seems, so many conflicting info.
First off it's a minefield, I've been thinking of a upgrade for over a year now and because there's so many to choose from it's just frustrating reading reviews.
I've been meaning to pop into to richer sounds etc for a sample but I really don't have much spare time to do that with family and hobbies.

But anyway, I have a oldskool flagship AV Yamaha dsp AX2, I like the sound of this and I'm one of these guys, if I'm happy with something I see no reason to change.
Currently I'm running cerwin vega surrounds (quite rare I think) and fronts are mission 701s I think on marble stands (these are the ones I want to replace)
My set up is about 8-10 years old, so need to find suitable speakers which will make me happy for another short lifetime.
oh and my living room is about 5x4m.

Now I'm after some good quality floorstanders this time round, particularly for the quality low deep bass, but not boomy. Quality crisp mid/top without any distortion whatsoever.
Basically the best you can get with all the top of the range insides like drivers, crossovers etc.
I merely use it for tv and watching movies but at times able to get my music on and enjoy the qualityness of the sound with the correct notes without any interruptions from the cheaper end stuff.
I have no subwoofer and I don't wish to run one, I would like a decent speaker that will give me the lows that a sub would if possible, but not boomy. Nice and silky deep with quality to match.
The constant reading online is just long and I still can't make my mind up so would like so help choosing.

Now the important part, my budget is around £4-500.

The few I've read about are below, tell me about them or feel free to put some others to me.

B&Ws 603/83/84 etc (I know I can't go wrong with b&w but it's just finding a bargain, most likely second hand)

Q acustics 2050i or 3050

Tannoy dct6 or others in my price range?

Cambridge audio aero series, probably 6

Dali zensor 5 (are these too boomy?)

Kef q500/700

Klipsch r28f etc

Monitor audio

Mission mx5 seem to have some good reviews

There seems to be some good deals on superfi on some of the above like kef q500 at £399 rrp £699

Thanks in advance and please be gentle with me :)

Last edited:
Why the desire to not run a sub? A sub will always go lower and have more impact than a floorstander especially within your budget. Also if you get a sub you can take some of the load of the front speakers which can help to clear up the mid range. Hence a sub will give a better bass, better movie experience and also help to improve the sound quality from the other speakers as well.
You have some nice speakers on your list but which is best will depend a lot on your personal sound preference so what is best for you may not be the best for someone else. This is why you need to go and listen for yourself.
What do you want the upgrade to achieve over your current speakers? With your budget you are really looking at similar level speakers to what you already have so not sure you are going to gain anything in terms of sound quality. Now, one of the speakers may be more to your sound preference or may be a better match for your room/speaker location. This may mean if sounds like an improvement but in terms of absolute sound quality I am not sure you will gain much. In contrast, if you spent the money on a sub then you could well give your current system a whole now lease on life.

The reason not to go subwoofer is because I want to be nice to my neighbors:). I'd get tempted to turn the wack up a bit lol.
I have bookshelf type speakers ATM and tbh they give me enough bass I need, it's just they old now so looking for floorstanders where the box is taller to give that slightly deeper bass than normal book selfs.
My amp has a bass extension button where it sets the bass to a lower frequency to make it sound like I have a subwoofer, hence I've never needed to want one. Yes it would give me the lows but I'm happy with current set up.

A sub if properly set up should just extend the lower frequencies so should not be heard as such. Hence it should be no more neighbour unfriendly than floorstanders really. People see subs as this big noise maker but they really are not. They give more flexibility and can improve the sound quality of the other speakers too.

My sub is set up just to underpin the bass, especially so in stereo. Doesn't need to be wall shakers. Out of your speakers I would go for the KEFs, Q500s but with a sub.

My sub is set up just to underpin the bass, especially so in stereo. Doesn't need to be wall shakers. Out of your speakers I would go for the KEFs, Q500s but with a sub.
Understand what your saying in theory, yes it would.
But if I'm happy with what I have then the normal attitude is why bother changing.
I'm just after the best possible floorstanders for my budget.
Are the kef q500 that good as they didn't really get a good review compared to others I've listed?
A sub if properly set up should just extend the lower frequencies so should not be heard as such. Hence it should be no more neighbour unfriendly than floorstanders really. People see subs as this big noise maker but they really are not. They give more flexibility and can improve the sound quality of the other speakers too.
As my above quote.

If I did go with a sub for instance I do actually like the Cambridge audio minx, they have glowing review back when they came out, small, fairly cheap, compact and can match room interiors well.
Are they really that good? Any opinions on these (note this is IF I choose one).

For a sub I would look at BK electronics. They offer value for money that is hard to beat. Take reviews with a pinch of salt as they are often biased so always go and listen yourself.

Not sure if the 3050 really represent a significant upgrade over your current speakers. But go listen and make your own mind up.

Kef/monitor audio/q acoustics etc are all good speakers. I would just stay away from the Bowers and Wilkins. I have no time for those speakers. And definitely run a sub. I wouldn't purchase the Cambridge Audio. They good at making receivers etc but feel they not really there yet with speakers. If I were you I would go and listen to a few of those speakers you mentioned and even ask the dealer to come and do a demo them in your house. Then buy what you like best

Not sure if the 3050 really represent a significant upgrade over your current speakers. But go listen and make your own mind up.
So are you saying my 10-15yo mission 701 bookshelf speakers are not a significant upgrade for 3050s?

Kef/monitor audio/q acoustics etc are all good speakers. I would just stay away from the Bowers and Wilkins. I have no time for those speakers. And definitely run a sub. I wouldn't purchase the Cambridge Audio. They good at making receivers etc but feel they not really there yet with speakers. If I were you I would go and listen to a few of those speakers you mentioned and even ask the dealer to come and do a demo them in your house. Then buy what you like best
Thanks, that is an ideal solution but I find it hard to find time to do this, hence I have been contemplating for over a year now for the upgrade and not actually made a move yet, hence me coming on here for opinions and owners reviews.
But hey, I may have to.
I don't understand why you don't have time for b&w? I mentioned these as really you can't go wrong with these, but need to get cash out for them?

Speaker technology has not changed over the last 10 to 15 years so yes I do not think the 3050 will be a significant upgrade over your current speakers. I would suggest you may need to spend well over double if not triple what the rrp for your current speakers were to get an upgrade in sound quality. New does not mean better.

We all have different personal tastes hence someone may hate b&w but you may love them. Personally I have never been impressed with Kef but others love them. This is why you need to demo them yourself.

Fair enough I suppose, yes I also have never been a fan of the old kef series, I found them too clear and crispy with no balance of bass to match, but ultimately it's down to music choice for kef IMO.
However I do like or I'm used to the bass/treble my current mission have.

Just looking at the bk subs you mentioned and they do look impressive for the price.
Looking at the Gemini 2 as that's probably the lowest watt at 150rms.
But the sub on the xls200 is something to drool over which you think a sub like that would be at least 1k price tag, 275rms seems very deep indeed.

I'll only need the smallest sub, I'd just have it at a low volume gain just to get the deep low frequency bass I'd like and not to upset neighbour, so the Gemini 2 seems adequate

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom