Question New member looking for new TV

Boydonegood

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I appreciate it’s not the correct way of doing things. (Join then ask for advice) but have been lurking and reading loads for past few months!

-I have no tv aerial so all media will be fed through Freesat.
-Only watch Basic channels BBC1 HD, ITV HD etc.
-Don’t do gaming
-Don’t play DVD films etc
-Don’t watch sports
-Do want a 65 inch model

Love the LGB8 65 £1800 @RS. Do-able but would skint me
Lower end have looked at the Hisense £800 @RS.
Or maybe the NU8000 £1000 @RS

Anyone any advise at all please? Just concerned through Freesat the best feed I’m gonna get is HD? So will the Hisense view the same as the Oled?

Don’t want to buy the Hisense and always regret not going full out on the Oled

Thanks in advance
Tel

FWIW I think that the Samsung nu8000 is a decent buy at 1k (especially if you can get it somewhere that is offering the free BR player with it).

Having said that, do you have a strict budget in mind? The TV's that you list have a 1k price range and in my eyes it all really comes down to budget (and equally usage) when buying a new TV. Are you likely to be using the streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon? Do you think your habits might change if you had a more capable TV and you may get a 4K player and utilise HDR?

I know you have said you can go to the 65B8 but personally I wouldn't spend the best part of 2k right now on the 65b8 as all OLED prices will come down over the next couple of months and you will get a better set for that money if you wait (or you will get the 65B8 for less).

The reality is that for what you have said will be your usage you may not really get much benefit anyway. Remember that unless you feed something like 65" oled with the best sources you are not going to maximise the benefits.

Check out @Dodgexander's best buy guide if you haven't already done so as that has lots of useful information on it.

Your a star. Thanks for the reply!

The TV is on most of the day, and it’s the main TV in the house. As I say it’s only used to watch standard BBC1-2HD ITV HD, and occasional sky channels (all fed through sky box)
I’m looking at ending sky and replacing with just a HD Freesat box as that has the same channels we watch.
Don’t stream or watch Netflix etc so realistically HD will prob be the best feed it will ever get.

Budget wise, I think £800 minimum. £1100 is comfortable, and £1800 absolute top but would have to be something special (like I believe the Oled is. Well in my price range)

£1100 to me is still quite a large lump of money, but I’m happy to struggle to the £1800 Oled if it’s “worlds above” in picture quality I’d receive.

I suppose Im after the holy grail. As in a line of £800-£1800 65’ TVs all fed by HD Freesat box and would buy at the point the picture peaks and doesn’t get any better (if that makes sense?)

Another option that I should have mentioned and that is worth consideration is the Sony65XF9005. It is a step up picture wise from the nu8000 and you would have the option of better HDR. It is still an LCD like the Samsung but uses something called FALD. Drawbacks are that you have a less user friendly smart platform.

The best price I can see for that currently is £1394 with a 5 year guarantee at Coop Electrical (you would need to use the TV100 code to get £100 off). If you ask RS they should beat this price by £20 as per their price beat policy.

If I were you I would head to a RS if you have one nearby and have a look at the options. One thing that you will DEFINITELY want to do is make sure that you get them to show you some of the content that you will actually be watching the sets. Th high end sets will almost certainly have 4k HDR demo stuff on which will look amazing, however, you need to remember that you will not necessarily be utilising that content so make sure they switch it to BBC/ITV HD so you can compare them fairly.

Just remember also that pricing wise now is probably not the best time to buy (although in relation to the Sony and the Samsung that may not apply so much).

Buddy. You are an absolute star. Thank you so much for your help. Lots of food for thought.
Have been to an RS and the guy was real helpful. They had the Oled but next one down was £599. He suggested lots of other makes and prices But no real models. All of which they never had in stock to see playing.

If you are intending to use a built in Freesat tuner you have to be careful to get a TV that supports actual Freesat. There are TVs like Sony's that have a satellite tuner but they do not support Freesat. It basically means you get no TV guide or anything.

Also, if you are wanting to use the TVs built in tuner with recording there are some things to consider:
  • Only TVs with dual satellite tuners can record whilst you watch another channel.
  • You'll still need a box attached to the TV in the form of a USB HDD or Flash drive to support recording.
  • The functionality of the built in smart TV platforms are not great when it comes to recording.
  • You'll probably want to avoid TVs with Freeview play only as it may mean you can't get access to catch up TV services without accessing it.
With that in mind two perfect fits for you have already been mentioned above, the Samsung NU8000 is the first TV to come with dual sat tuners supporting Freesat. Its also a very good TV anyway.

And then there is of course the LG B8 which will be the bees knees.

Worth it perhaps because OLED brings so much to the table but with your usage being traditional TV I would be inclined to spend less. Normal TV isn't going to be fantastic on an UHD model anyway.

I have a 65" UHD TV and I prefer watching TV on my old 42" plasma.

One other thing possibly to bear in mind is whether you will be viewing 'head on' or from different angles. The 65nu8000 uses a VA panel (as far as I am aware) so you would possibly need to be viewing fairly straight on to get the best from it. OLED (or a TV with an IPS panel) would be much more suitable if your seating is spread out a lot.

Thank you so much guys. Yous are the best!
I did look at the inbuilt Freesat but the guy at RS said don’t mess about and go for a £180 Humax HDR-1100s. I think the 500 would be ok

Guys
RS:-
65 B7 Oled in clearance 12mnth warranty £1300
Or
65 B8 Oled in stock 6year warranty £1800

How reliable are these?
I appreciate people are saying sit tight for the price to drop. And I could for maybe 1-2 month, but my tv only gonna last that long (keeps shutting down then starting back up)

I honestly couldn't tell you what to do mate and in all sincerity everyone will say something different. FWIW I would be asking myself am I likely to get the 65B8 for near to £1300 in a couple of months? (I would say highly likely).

You would probably want to speak with RS and at least find out more about whether the refurb is an ex display or a return etc. Is it listed at £1300 because you may well be able to knock them down a bit?

Speaking from my own experiance I did recently purchase a 'open box' 55FZ802 (albeit from JL) and it was an absolute calamity. I am sure you will not have the same issues that I had with JL at RS though and they will obviously sort things out if it is a dud. To be honest, if it did need replacing down the line you may even end up with a newer model.

Guys
RS:-
65 B7 Oled in clearance 12mnth warranty £1300
Or
65 B8 Oled in stock 6year warranty £1800

How reliable are these?
I appreciate people are saying sit tight for the price to drop. And I could for maybe 1-2 month, but my tv only gonna last that long (keeps shutting down then starting back up)

You really need to check them in person, don't buy them blind, go to wherever they are stored, get them setup and check for screen uniformity issues aka banding and also burn in, which they may have hence the cheap price, they could simply be open box returns but we all know that people send them back as unsuitable when they are infact faulty on arrival.

£1800 for the 65" is pretty high currently, if you can wait until later on in the year, it should be around £200 cheaper when clearance starts. B7 has had issues with panels so might be a gamble more than the B8.

General Buying Tips

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate everyone’s help and advice.
Everything yous are saying makes sense!

Lots to consider. Think will be the B8 then. Just hang out as long as I can incase price drops then.

Hey guys. Just want to say thank you so much for all the advice. My old TV packed up today so kinda pushed my hand.
Ended up with the LG Oled65B8PLA.
Looks good so far but know I have to set it up properly. Need to get a Freesat box as Sky being turned off in a week or so.

Next I guess will be a sound bar of some sort. Any recommendations? Stay LG?
Thanks so much. Tel

No problem! Glad you think the TV looks good.
Looks good so far but know I have to set it up properly. Need to get a Freesat box as Sky being turned off in a week or so.
The TV should have a freesat tuner built in if you want to try using that first.
I don't really know much about them myself, you're best searching in the soundbar section and looking at Soundbar Reviews | AVForums

There is no advantage really going with LG I think, you just connect one up to the HDMI ARC port and it should work no matter which brand.

Hey guys. Just want to say thank you so much for all the advice. My old TV packed up today so kinda pushed my hand.
Ended up with the LG Oled65B8PLA.

Thanks so much. Tel

Actually you are better going for an AV receiver and speakers, soundbars are ok soundwise and convenient like with Bluetooth support but won't give you the best sound experience overall, you can pick up something like a Denon or Harmon Kardon from Richer Sounds pretty cheap say around £180 and then speakers you can find second hand normally for very little say £40 for a pair, this will give you a great setup to pair with an awesome tv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom