New member, help on getting started

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nytram74, Apr 18, 2007.

1. nytram74

nytram74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking at getting a new system in my spare room used by the whole family. The room is not big, about 12ft x 12ft. I have the following devices:

Toshiba 32WLT66
    Sky
    DVD player
    PS2
    PC (for playing MP3's)

I already have a pair of MS 902i's which are connected to a 8yr old Technics system.

The room will used for the kids watching tv, playing CD's and playing music through the computer.

As the immediate budget is limited due to home decoration, I was intending to just use the MS 902i's initially, and potentially add speakers as time goes by.

I was looking at something like a Denon AVR-1707, around the £200 mark, along with a Denon DVD/CD player.

I am a bit confused about a couple of things:

Would an a/v receiver such as this require a minimum number of speakers, or would just the two speakers be ok for playing music? What would the sound be like playing music with only the two speakers?

Do I need an a/v receiver, or would it be more beneficial to buy an amplifier instead and just stay with the pair of speakers? (I am going to put a full system in my lounge when the budget permits)

What would be the best setup to accomodate the above items?

I would appreciate any advice with choosing a system.

Thanks,
    Martyn