New member...Advice NEEDED PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by waseemb, Sep 6, 2007.

1. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all, first of all, its great to see so many audio enthusiasts on here...and i hope to find knowledge instead of the tired old BS u get in stores!! lol.. here we go

i'm running the Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 Set up. They're running from a Denon 3803 amp. I get decent sound from them but have the following question

THe sub for these aelites is woeful...very very limited...could anybody recommend a sub that can give more depth and keep the bass tight and accurate , in this system? anything up to £400-500..

thanks in advance..

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Easy.
    SVS PB10 (maybe even the PB12, but not sure about price there).
    Or a BK Monolith.

Plenty of info to be found on these forums :smashin:

3. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any place i can buy the bk monolith?? is it any good?

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
  5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923

:rolleyes:

Do you seriously think anyone would recommend rubbish?

Do some research and you'll see for yourself.

They are all outstanding subs for the money.

6. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its nothing to take offense over badger....sound is always a matter of opinion and NOT fact...! that was asked to gather OPINIONS...which im sure you'll agree is a good thing...:D the monolith looks nice...quite cheap for a 12" sub...does the performance match??

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'm not offended mate, more irked that you seem to not want to search for yourself.
    There is no need to gather opinions, as there are already loads on here and you'd be going over old ground.

Just hit the search button at the top and type in monolith or whatever

Then you'll find loads of opinions :thumbsup:

8. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Performance match what, the price or the looks :D Sorry seems to be my theme for the day

9. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the performance match the looks AND price!!

10. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i want to gather opinions, thats up to me! not you badger... you wanna be irked? be irked...i've done my searches, this is merely to gather opinion. it maybe old ground to some but new to me... which is what these forums are about. if you dont like it, dont reply.

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    Fair enough, but you should be aware that you are advised to search first, in case the question has already been answered. This comes straight from admin, but there you go.

If you have done your searches, you'll already know that 99% of owners (and none-owners, come to that) of those subs rate them very highly.
    Which makes your question pointless, IMO.

I'll unsubscribe and leave you to it :smashin:

12. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Be fair Badg. A search on the Monolith brings up an 1100+ post thread, which needs a search engine of it's own.:D

Looks (and the size) are a matter of taste, but build quality is well up there.

Performance on the other hand? Well, for that you would need to compare it to something similar. Therefore, you need another sub that costs £428, has a -3dB at 18Hz and can deliver 99dB at 20Hz, 106dB at 30Hz and keeps distortion at 100dB under 10% right down to 20Hz AND keeps group delay under 1/2 cycle.

When you find it, let us know.:D

Seriously, it does have competitors, but as with all subs at this level, there are trades to be made. The SVS PB-10NSD is cheaper and comes pretty close in performance, but sacrifices wood veneers and input flexibilty to achieve it.

The larger still SVS PB-12NSD goes louder and offers slightly lower distortion for a bit more money with all the usual inputs. It is larger than the already large Monolith and still doesn't offer wood veneers.

These are the only seriously high output, really deep subs on offer around this price and I note that these are qualities that you are asking for. But you should also know, that the large subs are a lot more demanding in terms of care of setup. Without it, they can be blamed for all sorts of booms, mudiness and all the other favourites, which actually have far more to do with the room, it's size and the subs position in it.

Russell

13. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    £400-£500 seems to be the budget range in the world of grown-up subs but don't let the word 'budget' fool you into thinking it's anything less.

In this range, not having heard the SVS's or the Monolith, I would certainly go for the latter - if you have the space. My only caveat with the Monolith is that, coming purely from a car audio background, the driver could be better and the Mosfet amps could be replaced with the more powerful class D digital type. But having said that, what makes the Monolith the budget king, IMO, is that it ticks all the right boxes: a large, heavy enclosure, properly tuned with decent amplification (300Watts) and a 12" driver in a beautiful wood veneer finish for a little over £400 delivered seems to be the recipe for a winner. If that isn't enough, I think Russell's testimony and endorsement of the Monolith should be - this guy owns one and he knows his stuff!

14. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,681
    What size room do you have? If it's on the smaller side, probably the SVS PB10 will (a) do the job adequately and (b) fit in better. Or if space is really tight, then perhaps the diminutive SVS SB12.

15. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    being a new person to this site, i haven't read the admins rules, but will do so. no question is pointless IMO, and if u find a question pointless, dont answer nor waste peoples times and threads... :suicide:

16. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate, room is med to large size...dont know the exact dimensions but i know the 10" driver on the aelite is not enough!! lol ... i think the 10" size is sufficient for my room, but the sub itself is weak. the monolith seems a good buy, what are the capabilities of the svs pb10? i also see your using the denon 3805, i'm using the 3803 but without the denon poa t10, does it make a difference?

17. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    You raise some interesting points.

BK actually make a point that their amps are NOT Class D switching types, but as long as the 300w is actually delivered, I don't understand the nuts and bolts, so who cares.:)

In talking to Tom at BK, about future develpments, he commented on the lack of suitable European drivers available for serious subs. The Audio Drive SB12-300 is one of the very few Euro sourced drivers at sensible money appropriate for a sub like this.

The other option is to buy more expensive drivers from America, but apparently it's an up hill struggle to make the Yanks understand that you're serious about bulk quantities. They just don't understand that anybody else in the world is serious about making subs commercially, or actually care about the market in the rest of the world, much less understand 'where' you're actually calling from.

With the likes of Adire calling it a day for the fun of it and TC Sounds doubling their prices overnight, for the even more fun of it, it's damn surprising any European manufacturer is brave enough to even consider entering the upper ends of the HC sub market.

Russell

18. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You used too many words Russell. The Yanks don't understand anybody else in the world, period

19. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
  20. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,213
    I dont think Badger0-0 ment it in a nasty way, which is what your being at the monment. Stop taking evrything the wrong way.

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,653
    Ok chaps, let's start from scratch forget any digs and be nice to everyone :smashin:

Thanks,

Dave

22. waseemb

waseemb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate its pretty difficult to understand what tone people use thru words...anyway, agreed with the moderators, nuff said!!

23. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Right glad that's settled.

Buy a Monolith. Read earlier qualifying comments.

Russell

24. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    To throw a bit more into the mix, what about the upcoming SVS Cylinders as well?

On the SVS range, you would need to check with Alastar and the guys at AV sales, but I think the prices (taken from the powerbuy posts) are around £400 for the PB10, £450 for the PB12, £460 for the SB12+ in black or £560 in wood veneer, with the cyclinders being £400 for the PCi and £590 for the PC+.

I'm no expert, but I guess that one thing that keeps the prices down on both BK and SVS are that they are both direct from the manufacturer with no chain of middle-men adding their cuts. SVS aren't actually direct as you need to go through AV-Sales (who are the sole authorised UK dealer), but by my very basic estimation you pay about the same price it would cost you to get it direct if you allow for international shipping costs and import duty and VAT.