New media player showing pink screen when going through AV amp

andyfr

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently started a thread asking which media player to get to replace a Mede8er MED600X3D. After a lot of helpful advice I eventually got a Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. As I was doing the setup I noticed that the screen was pink but just thought that that was normal during the setup process. After everything had finished and the Nvidia had restarted it was still pink. I had connected into the HDMI media player port on my Denon AVR X2000 so I tried connecting directly to the TV and everything was fine but as soon as I connected back through the amp it was back to pink. I tried a different cable but it was still the same. Plugged in my old Mede8er player and it works fine.

Has anyone any idea why this happened? Could it be a faulty Nvidia unit or the GPU which is incompatible with the Denon or anything else in the Nvidia? I have returned the unit to Amazon this morning but I'm wary about getting any new player if it's likely to happen with that one too.

I had seriously been considering a Zidoo Z9X but am reluctant to buy in case the newer media players aren't compatible with the amp. I know there are lots of other players out there but I don't want to mess sellers about or have the hassle, and cost, of return.

what video settings did you have as output from the Shield?
resolution 8/10 bit/HDR? etc

I can't remember what the settings were for the Shield and I've returned it so can't check.

I used the same cable when trying it directly into the TV and it worked fine.

2 cables involved with amp

Shield to amp & amp to TV

vs

Shield to TV.

I think that the shield is sending something to the amp that it can't decode.

I would set up the shield to connect direct to the TV, and set it to 1080p or lower, no hdr 8 bit etc etc, and then re-connect via the amp, and then try changing each setting until it turns pink

Yeah your Denon can only do 1080p 60hz, its 4K is 30hz max only.

Shield may have tried to output 4K 60hz, you would have to manually set its output to 4K 24Hz in the Shield video settings or drop to 1080p 60hz.

Yeah your Denon can only do 1080p 60hz, its 4K is 30hz max only.

Shield may have tried to output 4K 60hz, you would have to manually set its output to 4K 24Hz in the Shield video settings or drop to 1080p 60hz.

Ahh, okay. So if I get something like the Zidoo Z9X will I have the same problem? If that's the case is it easy to change the setting on the Zidoo?

Yes that's the one.

appreciate you have sent the shield back mate but when you do eventually upgrade to a 4K player you will need to plug it into the TV until you can replace the amp. There is some models though with dual hdmi outputs such as those by zidoo. This would allow you to send the best video to the TV with the lossless audio still decoded by the avr

in addition most zidoo models still support framepacked 3D (3DMVC) other boxes such as the shield does not. It may not be a factor but thought it worth mentioning as 3D was one of the selling features of that mede8er (I have one), it is an excellent box and it still gets some 3D use today with the PJ.

appreciate you have sent the shield back mate but when you do eventually upgrade to a 4K player you will need to plug it into the TV until you can replace the amp. There is some models though with dual hdmi outputs such as those by zidoo. This would allow you to send the best video to the TV with the lossless audio still decoded by the avr

in addition most zidoo models still support framepacked 3D (3DMVC) other boxes such as the shield does not. It may not be a factor but thought it worth mentioning as 3D was one of the selling features of that mede8er (I have one), it is an excellent box and it still gets some 3D use today with the PJ.
So I can't change the setting on the Zidoo to make it work with the current set up I have?

I didn't think it would be such a minefield, I only wanted to update the media player as I thought it was getting on a bit. :rolleyes:

So I can't change the setting on the Zidoo to make it work with the current set up I have?

I didn't think it would be such a minefield, I only wanted to update the media player as I thought it was getting on a bit. :rolleyes:
What TV are u using? The mede8er is an excellent media player, it outputs correctly, matches all framerate, supports 3DMVC and also all audio formats (apart from multichannel lpcm which is seldom seen on blurays)

I assumed you was upgrading due to needing something it was lacking, such as 4K. I wouldn’t swap it out just for the sake of it tbh

What TV are u using? The mede8er is an excellent media player, it outputs correctly, matches all framerate, supports 3DMVC and also all audio formats (apart from multichannel lpcm which is seldom seen on blurays)

I assumed you was upgrading due to needing something it was lacking, such as 4K. I wouldn’t swap it out just for the sake of it tbh
We got a Panasonic TX-55HZ1000B just before Christmas so I thought it was time to upgrade the Mede8er, also I know these things don't last forever, but if it's going to be so much hassle I will just leave it until I upgrade the amp. I had thought that at some point I would do that anyway, just not at the moment.

We got a Panasonic TX-55HZ1000B just before Christmas so I thought it was time to upgrade the Mede8er, also I know these things don't last forever, but if it's going to be so much hassle I will just leave it until I upgrade the amp. I had thought that at some point I would do that anyway, just not at the moment.

Understood mate in which case yes a 4k player with dual hdmi outputs will work. Alternatively you can just get a single hdmi output player and plug it into the TV using ARC for lossy DD. I have had a pink screen on the shield when connected to my old 1080p PJ, the issue was due to a ycbcr and RGB output mismatch. You can change this though within the shield, its possible your denon may have been set a certain way and the shield the opposite. Most modern TV’s will detect the signal and switch accordingly

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom