New Media PC from Aldi !

echo3

Standard Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on the MEDION Titanium MD 8386 available at Aldi?
Looks like very good value and 3 year warranty!

http://uk.aldi.com/

What's the catch?

well if it is anything like the one they sold before xmas, I wouldn't touch it with anything even resembling a 10ft barge pole. Do a search at thedvdforums for the full low down.

I bought 1 and took it back. It sounded like a jetplane in my study - seriously, I am not exagerating. Also, the dvb-t was not dvb-t. It was an anologue card as it could not find any digital channels.

Read the comments anyway, but I would steer well clear.

I had one a couple of years ago excellent value for money it was well setup.
If you do want one i'd advise getting to Aldis 1/2 hr before the shop opens on the day they arrive as they sell very quick

Well I can't speak for the most recent one, but 18months ago I had a hand in buying and using about 7 of these machines. The one I personally use has been excellant and worked out of the box with Matrox RTX100 editing card, which is no mean feat considering how fussy the card can be.

Other than that use it day in day out on a multi-boot system and it works great, only quirks I've had is it sometimes hangs at post - not very often. Apart fromt that though superb machine.

I suppose when these machines first started hitting the market they were out on a limb in terms of vfm and quality - maybe it's not the case now though as there is a lot of cheap stuff out there.

it'll be interesting to see how quiet it runs, if it's quiet enouph then maybe it'll have a place in the lounge.

A bit more reading for you.
http://md8083.hertsinternet.com/

kilubilu, it will not be quiet - just look at the components. It is a half htpc half gaming machine and if you saw the size of the fans they use you wouldn't let it anywhere near your lounge!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom