1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New MAudio Revolution drivers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, May 16, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,033
    Are apparantly due to be posted today and fix the audio sync problems on the line in as well as giving CSII compatability with ASIO. Good news all round...

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,033
    So where are they..............

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,033
    Yeah, I was too impatient, and forgot they're hours behind us in the US!!!! Will give them a go..

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,033
    Anyone else got the revolution and tried the new drivers and using ASIO? I still can't seem to get CSII working with ASIO, using an ASIO output plugin for winamp and I'm only getting output from the front left and right channels. Can anyone else check this?

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Point me to where I can get that plugin, and I'll have a go. I only tend to use WMP these days. What's teh best non v3 version of Winamp too?

Ta.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,033
    I'm using version 2.91. The plugin can be downloaded here http://www.aikis.or.jp/~otachan/ . It's a Jap site (seems to be the only place to get it for some reason!). It's there under number 5 , winamp 2, out_asio.dll ver 0.26i.

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers :)

Have also d/l winamp 2.91 to try it on.

...and...

hmm, looks liek I'm getting the same as you. CSII using directsound, 3 channel (bass management by the revo feeding the sub) using ASIO.

Better play a bit I guess.

edit: quick question - when on the revo "about" screen, what version and driver number do you get? Mine says version 1.0.0.27 and driver 5.10.00.0035 which I thought was the one I was replacing???

9. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Re-installed the drivers, and it now says:

version 1.0.0.36
    driver 5.10.00.0036 so that's better.

Tried the ASIO plugin again, and it works fine now.

No idea why I had to reinstall the drivers! :confused:

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,033
    I figured out what was wrong with mine, I had the ASIO resampling ticked to resample to 96khz, the CSII only works with 48Khz. Seems to be working now and it sounds fantastic! Gonna try the analog output for DD 5.1 next and see if that sounds any better than using SPDIF to my Denon amp, I'd be suprised if it does but this card certainly seems to sound very good so it's worth a try. Thanks for trying it anyway...

Cheers,
    Andy.

11. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No probs :)

12. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    2 big problems remain.

1. A3D sound for games like Half-life/Counter strike is still broken (sound lags behind your actions).

2. The driver seems to corrupt itself if I leave my computer for any length of time. When I come back to it the sound is very loud and highly distorted, just the kind of thing I want put through my Senn 580 headphones :rolleyes:

I have been in correspondence with M-Audio's support department and their latest email told me to try something I told them I tried in my very first email to them.

The hardware is very capable but the drivers and the support people could improve a lot.

My Revo is sitting idle until things get fixed. The Videologic SonicFury is back in place. :(

13. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had neither of those problems with my card. The only testing of A3D was using Counter strike (the only game I really play), although I did briefly try that skating one which came with the card.

A3D is quite processor intensive, so if you have lots running in the background or your PC is starting to age, then that may be a reason.

I didn't notice any lag, and I havn't noticed any of the distortion you describe. When you say "leave it for a length of time" do you mean with it switched off; switched on but not playing anything or switched on and playing something? My guess would be the middle one? I frequently leave my PC for several hours with a CD on pause, come back and it's fine. The only thing it does do occasionally, is drop out for a half second or so when playback is resumed, but after that it is fine.

I'm only one user, I know, but I've had next to no problems with mine. I'm as happy as can be. Well, I will be when I get DVD-A :D

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm not short on processor power, I have a XP1800 (complete spec in my sig at the bottom of my posts). My Fort 3 and SonicFury have no problems with A3D. Remember you have to have game mode enabled for A3D to work otherwise it will just be normal stereo.

You were correct in guessing the middle one. My computer is on 24/7 and I notice this problem most mornings when I get up.

Thanks for your suggestions nutcase. It's not like I don't know what I'm doing. I have built several PCs.

There is more I could do to try to fix the problem, I could change PCI slots, mess around with IRQ settings and more general stuff in BIOS, but when my other sound cards all work without any such hassle I don't see why that kind of thing should be necessary.

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    High end sound cards tend not to work well on AMD based PCs.

16. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm sorry but that is a copout. If that is the case then M-Audio should advertise the card as Intel only. Besides, this isn't high end, it is supposed to be consumer level.

17. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine certainly is with a P4, but yes, it should work with AMD solutions (I hate that term!). The A3D was definitely working, and I was quite impressed, it was the first time I had ever tried it.

You're right, an 1800 should be fine. The only other thing I can think of you've already mentioned - play with slots. Is it sharing an IRQ? I know things are supposed to share happily these days, but I learn't PC's when you couldn't, and it's still ingrained in me.

18. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I get a strange hissing with my revo. The dvd sound (analogue out) starts to slow and a hiss starts in the background. Needs a reboot to cure it, although changing sampling to 44100 stops it, but then the dvd changes it back to 48000 and it starts again. Very annoying. Noticably, my driver is the newest, but on the about screen it says 1.0.1.5. Is there a new control panel applet too?