New mattress

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are due to move in to a new flat in 2 weeks and our mattress at our place now is completely shot. So we are making do with it and are planning on getting a new one delivered directly to the new place to save us having to move it a few days after it arrives and risk damagin it.

I've never actually bought a new mattress before i've always just scrounged off people who are looking to dispose of one so what do you guys prefer or actually sleep on? I know its a bit objective but some advice on what to look for when we go shopping this weekend would be useful

At the moment we are both starting to ache a bit but believe it's due to how dead our current mattress is getting, hopefully replacing it will fix this but other than that we don't have any problems with joints or our backs between us.

If you go for a spring based bed, make sure you get pocket sprung and not open coil, as they maintain the shape irrelevant of weight distribution.

Do you find that your current mattress lopsides depdending on what side you sleep?

Can I ask your budget, do you have any idea at all?

We are due to move in to a new flat in 2 weeks and our mattress at our place now is completely shot. So we are making do with it and are planning on getting a new one delivered directly to the new place to save us having to move it a few days after it arrives and risk damagin it.

I've never actually bought a new mattress before i've always just scrounged off people who are looking to dispose of one so what do you guys prefer or actually sleep on? I know its a bit objective but some advice on what to look for when we go shopping this weekend would be useful

At the moment we are both starting to ache a bit but believe it's due to how dead our current mattress is getting, hopefully replacing it will fix this but other than that we don't have any problems with joints or our backs between us.

depends on your budget. The air sprung mattresses are quite nice but its down to personal taste, depends on whether you want a hard, medium or soft bed. Best to go to a bed store and try a few out, they always have good deals on like 4 years interest free

If i were you and if you have the money - get a value mattress then buy a memory foam mattress topper... mmmmmmmmm

I've done bits of poking about online but I think a trip to dreams to window shop is in order to work out the differences and what we actually need from some experimenting. I thought pocket spring sounded better just from the synopsis on a bed website.

Our current one is collapsing in the middle and it's worse on either side, where we are now the beds up against the wall so the side that isn't take more punishment from being sat on and climbed over so swmbo can get to her side. If i sleep facing off the bed its very noticably lower where my hips lie. We've turned it so the worst bit is now against the wall but when we move we will have our own living room to sit in instead and we can both get in to bed on our own sides so othe main causes of the collapse should be reduced a bit.

As for budget we've not discussed it yet, i was thinking around thr ÂŁ200 mark but could stretch if it's worth going a bit beyond, obviously as we are moving the cheaper the better as we are going to have to spend a fortune on other things to get the place up to a liveable standard

As for budget we've not discussed it yet, i was thinking around thr ÂŁ200 mark but could stretch if it's worth going a bit beyond

I would say it is worth it, if you can afford it. Remember you spend 1/3 of your life in bed and they say it averages at 10 years longevity.

As an example, we've just replaced our bed (frame as well) for ÂŁ635 inc delivery and 2 pillows. We got a king size, 1200 pocket sprung, 70mm memory foam frame and mattress (divan), this one in fact All Seasons Supreme Kingsize

Ignore the price, we haggled them down, so a saving of about ÂŁ1,000 from RRP.

If you try any memory foam beds, ask for the thickness of the memory foam as the cheaper ones are thinner.

I would say it is worth it, if you can afford it. Remember you spend 1/3 of your life in bed and they say it averages at 10 years longevity.

If you try any memory foam beds, ask for the thickness of the memory foam as the cheaper ones are thinner.

ideally i wouldn't mind spending more but unfortunately neither of us get brilliant wages and we are having to buy all our white goods plus a sofa at once and all at christmas (if we can push through without white goods until christmas i think we will try and get them all in the week the january sales start and before VAT goes up).

I've looked at memory foam ones online and noticed the difference in thicknesses in the products so will make sure i check for that in store. Having never laid down on one though i don't know how good they are. Might follow ricky's advice and grab a half decent pocket sprung mattress and a memory foam topper

ideally i wouldn't mind spending more but unfortunately neither of us get brilliant wages

Furniture Village and Paul Simon were both doing 6 or 9 months interest free, and FV were even going to 3 years if you spend over ÂŁ2.5k if I remember.

THIS site has some very good deals, we have purchased three mattresses from them in the past and had very good service, value and prompt delivery.

Not cheap, but you can't go wrong with a waterbed, wouldn't be without mine:)

Furniture Village and Paul Simon were both doing 6 or 9 months interest free, and FV were even going to 3 years if you spend over ÂŁ2.5k if I remember.

2.5K :eek:

I'm not sure we will be blowing that much in one hit, the sofas to follow weeks later at least, it's a weird situation where we may have to move again in a month or stay put so we arent buying the other stuff until we know for sure. Personally i've never been one for taking out credit on this sort of stuff, i'd rather have it cleared a.s.a.p with the cash we have to hand if it's possible, especially as we could end up buying a lot more that's beyond our means in the coming weeks. The only salvation is once we move it's a work flat that's free so we will get a little nest egg going in rent savings

we wont be allowed one, moving in to a listed building and if that baby burst we would be very much up a certain brownish creek

Common misconception:)

Even if it bursts the water won't flood out anywhere unless you start jumping up and down on it:rotfl:

They really are made of pretty resilient stuff, unless you sleep with a pair of very sharp scissors in the pocket of your pajamas you shouldd be OK:laugh:

2.5K :eek:

Personally i've never been one for taking out credit on this sort of stuff

I was just using that as an example. They do various terms based on total spend.

I am the opposite. Even if I was Bill Gates I would use interest free/very small interest rate when available for the sole reason that they don't have all your money up front, which means if they try to ignore after sales care you can cancel the DD.

It's a sad world but most companies take your money and run.

Common misconception:)

Even if it bursts the water won't flood out anywhere unless you start jumping up and down on it:rotfl:

They really are made of pretty resilient stuff, unless you sleep with a pair of very sharp scissors in the pocket of your pajamas you shouldd be OK:laugh:

:laugh: not planning on it but i'd have to convince both swmbo and her boss otherwise, by the time they agree i will be limping everywhere because of our current mattress, i only have a week to pick one and get it delivered

I was just using that as an example. They do various terms based on total spend.

I am the opposite. Even if I was Bill Gates I would use interest free/very small interest rate when available for the sole reason that they don't have all your money up front, which means if they try to ignore after sales care you can cancel the DD.

It's a sad world but most companies take your money and run.

it's a shame they do that but i know what i can be like and i'd probably accidentaly forget to pay them back completely and get slapped with the surcharges. That said i'm contemplating getting a credit card for the extra cover they bring on big purchases and the tiny amount of cashback too, 0.5% returns is better than 0%, edit: obviously to be repaid by direct debit to avoid charges

Last edited:
cheers for the help all, it's now transpired that someone is offering us a bed with mattress, I was misinformed that it was only a bedframe (that we don't need). So i think the plan for us now is to take this one until the new year and the other big purchases are done with and hopefully come about february we will have a bit more cash free cash to buy a decent replacement and avoid buying one on the cheap.

Apparently where we are going may also be buying us a new cooker so thats another few hundred quid knocked off the spend :clap: I thought i was right when i told her that if they are saying we have to stay there certain evenings they have to provide us with means to cook.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom