new marantz/denon receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kbfern, Aug 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    Hi There guys,

My first post , I have a Denon 3600 ($1600 new)receiver purchased while I was living in the states 6 yrs ago, its mated to a set of Atlantic Technology 250.1 speakers($1700 new).
    I have been pleased with this set up since I had it. However it has no dpl2/dts etc and I would like to update the receiver to the latest sound formats.
    Looking at Denon 3802 now £600 at leconcepts or Marantz 7200 I see new Denon 1803 and marantz 7300 out next month, do you think any of these would be a step down from my existing set up.As 6 yrs past since my last purchase do you think I will see a noticable impromements in the Marantz or Denon. I will start to audition some of these products next couple of weeks.I don't want to spend more than around £600 on new receiver what do you think?

keith fern
    wolverhampton

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,221
    Hi

The only way to decide whether they offer an improvement over your existing is to demo them. PL2 is excellent and a bit of a must have if you watch a lot of movies etc via satellite or have videos. DTS is worth having, though in some respects not as much as PL2 IMO. Nowadays there´s really not that much difference between Dolby Digital & DTS (unlike the earlier days of full bit rate DTS discs).

Of course you now have EX/ES which is great if you have the space available to you to place the speakers properly i.e at least a few ft of depth behind the listening position.

The 3802 is a very good amp and certainly one of the best in its price bracket.