New MacBook - few queries?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Empgamer, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not long had this, most impressed. Still taking some getting used to but getting there (Switching to the Mac: Missing Manual helps). Few queries that others may be able to assist with.

I have a dated Palm Tungsten T3 which is still working and I'm reluctant to updgrade it in case I wish to switch to a combined phone/PDA in future. It does what I want for now though. I have Tiger 10.4.7 and iSync (2.4 I think) and the various help sections suggest the need to install the Palm HotSync to do the first sync and then switch to iSync thereafter. I'm a little reluctant to install the HotSync 4.2.1d from Palm as it says it has no uninstaller. Two main concerns are does it work OK and, if I do decide to bin it, will it come out cleanly and easily?

Secondly, by default I created an Address Book entry for me when I switched on first time around. It also required a photo. However when I send an e-mail using the mail address listed in my address book entry, Mail seems to insert the photo from that entry by default. Is there a way to turn that off? I thought of deleting the Address Book entry or deleting the mail address from it but I'd like to keep it all for when I might wish to send an e-card so to speak (assuming I can do that). What I don't want is Mail sending pictures or any other details from Address Book (such as completing my real name in my 'public' e-mail address/name) without me teling it too.

Lastly, I've posted in a thread below re InquisitorX. I've loaded the app to get Safari to use Google UK from its Google Search by default but none of the searches work with Google UK sleceted as the source? Many (if not all) of the others work fine but not Google UK. It seems it's url for Google UK is wrong but I can't find where to edit it. Also, I notice that if using Yahoo UK for instance, when doing a straight search and hitting enter it lists the results but still has Google at the top of the page? Shouldn't it, in this case, be Yahoo UK? At present I'm tempted to bin Inquisitor as it doesn't seem to be doing what I want.

2. neh0

neh0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd suggest The Missing Sync from MarkSpace http://markspace.com/missingsync_palmos.php to sync the palm and your mac. I'm using the windows CE version and it's pretty good and well worth £20.

Afraid i can't help with the other 2 questions.

HTH,
    Neil

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    AFAIK the photo isn't sent with emails - it is applied by the system to emails composed and received by people who you have in your address book and have a photo attached ... the same pictures are used in iChat ...

Jon

4. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks both, it's perhaps only me that can see the pic on my sent mail then? I'll zap one to Mrs Emp to check out.

I'd seen missing synch. I am quite keen to check out what I've already got and what's free before buying more software as I'm not sure how long the Tungsten T3 will be in use for. I can feel an iPhone coming on :thumbsup:

A fix to Inquisitor has apparently been posted. I'm using Acid Search for now.