• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Macbook Air, what to do - antivirus, restore copy etc?

kazino21

I have just received my air and am wondering what I need to put on it and how to set it up right from the beginning.

What should I do with time machine (I'm guessing this is some kind of restoration software)?
Do I need antivirus software?
Should I put some anti spyware software on?
Any must download software (in windows I would have got winrar for example)?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I have just received my air and am wondering what I need to put on it and how to set it up right from the beginning.

What should I do with time machine (I'm guessing this is some kind of restoration software)?

1) Time Machine explained: Apple (United Kingdom) - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine

2) Only really if you share a network with Windows machine and don't want to pass on anything, Sophos for mac has gotten good feedback
3) no not really but see above
4) look at the 'Simple Programes you adore' thread

Veni Vidi Vici

I use iAntiVirus which is free and fast but to be honest viruses shouldn't be a issue on a mac. I'm no expert but how it was explained to me was (1) macs don't run .exe files which most viruses are written in and (2) macs don't have a registry like a PC so changes cannot be made to the startup etc....which is a common problem on PCs

Mac experts out there if thats wrong please put me straight as Im no expert.

PS. Good move by the way, I made the switch from PC last year and haven't regretted it.

kazino21

I always balked at the price but after the salesman did his thing on me I was sold, the interface is just amazing.

I use iAntiVirus which is free and fast but to be honest viruses shouldn't be a issue on a mac. I'm no expert but how it was explained to me was (1) macs don't run .exe files which most viruses are written in and (2) macs don't have a registry like a PC so changes cannot be made to the startup etc....which is a common problem on PCs

Mac experts out there if thats wrong please put me straight as Im no expert.

PS. Good move by the way, I made the switch from PC last year and haven't regretted it.

MartinPickering

I've been using Macs since 1987 and never used (nor needed) any form of anti-malware. It only slows down your Mac and potentially causes problems. If you connect via a router (which will have a built-in firewall) that's all you need. If you use an open network (i.e. away from your home or office) you can turn the internal firewall on.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
It only slows down your Mac and .

I have NEVER noticed performance degradation and I'm running (by modern standards) a positively slow 2.53ghz C2D mac mini and new Macbook Air is still as lightning quick

MartinPickering

Very good but why bother? It's like driving around England with a boot full of elephant gun in case you meet one in the street. You may not notice the difference in fuel consumption but it's still costing you to carry the extra weight.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Very good but why bother? It's like driving around England with a boot full of elephant gun in case you meet one in the street. You may not notice the difference in fuel consumption but it's still costing you to carry the extra weight.

it's called being considerate my dear chap, to my unenlightened family still running windows ;)

kazino21

Thanks guys looks like there is no reason for the antivirus. I shall steer clear, computer isn't massively fast so dont' want to burden the little thing with anything more.

Does anyone know of a good portable usb hub to use with the air?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys looks like there is no reason for the antivirus. I shall steer clear, computer isn't massively fast so dont' want to burden the little thing with anything more.

Does anyone know of a good portable usb hub to use with the air?

but it won't get overburdened! as it's not an Internet Security programme but simply an AV programme. what Air are you using the new 2010 series or the older versions?

MartinPickering

A few years ago I discovered a foolproof method to keep the elephants away. Each morning, I throw a rolled up ball of newspaper out of the window. Since I started doing this, I haven't seen a single elephant in my garden, nor had a single Mac virus!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
A few years ago I discovered a foolproof method to keep the elephants away. Each morning, I throw a rolled up ball of newspaper out of the window. Since I started doing this, I haven't seen a single elephant in my garden, nor had a single Mac virus!

I still prefer my elephant gun, you'd be surprised at the things you see in North London ;)

CamFire

Distinguished Member
I still prefer my elephant gun, you'd be surprised at the things you see in North London ;)
I knew you're bluffing right from the start ;) . The rats in London will have eliminated the elephants first...Now, pls don't start with that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thingy - I'll still use a elephant gun on those rats :D

dc8900

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom