New Mac Pro released

I noticed the store was down this morning.

The NVidia shift is happening nicely, I think at some point this year the iMac's will also ship with NVidia.

Bodes well for MacWorld that they're getting stuff like this out of the way early. As your other post says though, it's difficult to get excited for next week as I don't think anything can match the wow factor of the iphone. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Thought they would have waited until next week at Macworld for these to be announced. Maybe it's just not high on Apple's agenda with all the new rumoured notebooks.

yeah they are getting the conventional upgrade stuff out of the way. Bodes well for new lines to be announced. was thinking also that iphone was announced in jan last year so who is to say that iphone2 wont be introduced to the world???

yeah they are getting the conventional upgrade stuff out of the way. Bodes well for new lines to be announced. was thinking also that iphone was announced in jan last year so who is to say that iphone2 wont be introduced to the world???

Doubt it - it's far too soon after actual release and they've already had one PR disaster. I think AT&T have said late Q2/Q3 already anyway. Plus an upgrade to a 3G chipset won't be a big deal in terms of design.

I too think it is odd that they could not have held onto this for another week and announced/released at the Expo.

I think we'll see upgrades to the Macbook Pro line, possibly the inclusion of a new sub-notebook sized device and possibly a mention of v2 iPhone, maybe rough specs of what will be in it.

I would expect an iPhone update would HAVE to be announced, it's been a flop in Europe as it has no 3G and every other phone is free so if they want to stay competitive they have no choice as all the other phone makers are working on and launching iPhone alternatives now. I know loads of people that are happy to have an iPod touch and a free phone on cheap tariffs, everyone likes the iPhone but most see it as way overpriced and lacking in features.

I would expect iTunes 3 to be launched with movie rentals and the new portable Mac. I thin the Mac Mini will be killed off soon so no update and all the MacBook Pro's to come with the Penryn CPU's and updated graphics.

As for the Mac Pro then that's fantastic news, I see everyone failed to the update to the hard drives, you can have it loaded with 4 SAS SCSI hard drives that spin at 15,000 rpm. I am sure they didn't offer this option before? But why oh why have they kept the same case design? It would of been a great opportunity to change it and they haven't.

I would expect an iPhone update would HAVE to be announced, it's been a flop in Europe as it has no 3G and every other phone is free so if they want to stay competitive they have no choice as all the other phone makers are working on and launching iPhone alternatives now. I know loads of people that are happy to have an iPod touch and a free phone on cheap tariffs, everyone likes the iPhone but most see it as way overpriced and lacking in features.

I would expect iTunes 3 to be launched with movie rentals and the new portable Mac. I thin the Mac Mini will be killed off soon so no update and all the MacBook Pro's to come with the Penryn CPU's and updated graphics.

As for the Mac Pro then that's fantastic news, I see everyone failed to the update to the hard drives, you can have it loaded with 4 SAS SCSI hard drives that spin at 15,000 rpm. I am sure they didn't offer this option before? But why oh why have they kept the same case design? It would of been a great opportunity to change it and they haven't.

Has the iphone been a flop? Apart from the usual bilge in The Register, the sales figures were pretty much in line with expectations.

With regard to simply updating the Macbook Pros with the penryn processors, if that was the case we would have seen it slip out today with the Mac Pro announcement. My feeling is that if there is any new ultra compact notebook with some sort of gesture based controller, this would be extended to the MBPs i.e. something worth making a song and dance out of.

Finally, what's wrong with the case design? It's still a great looking bit of kit, plus at that level, I don't think case design is a major factor influencing purchase.

Has the iphone been a flop? Apart from the usual bilge in The Register, the sales figures were pretty much in line with expectations.

With regard to simply updating the Macbook Pros with the penryn processors, if that was the case we would have seen it slip out today with the Mac Pro announcement. My feeling is that if there is any new ultra compact notebook with some sort of gesture based controller, this would be extended to the MBPs i.e. something worth making a song and dance out of.

Finally, what's wrong with the case design? It's still a great looking bit of kit, plus at that level, I don't think case design is a major factor influencing purchase.

Yes the iPhone is a flop, all across the net their are reports of poor sales, if you walk into an O2 shop you have to pay over £400 before you can walk out the door with one, ask the majority of people and they will all say it costs FAR too much especially for the features. If you show someone an iPhone they'll fall in love with it, mention how much it will cost them and they'll say no way. If Apple are serious about the European mobile phone market it MUST release a 3G model and launch it on all networks or with far cheaper prices. Trouble is though I believe the carriers it's picked all have exclusivity for 18 months on the thing. And by the end of that time every other manufacturer will have launched their competitors most likely with more features and for free.
As I said, in Europe you can get an iPod touch and for instance a Nokia N95 8GB for hundreds less then an iphone and you get more talktime and text. So which one do you think the large majority of people will buy?

As for the Mac Book Pro, if apple are going to talk about the ultra portable Mac at their event then they could stick to the mobile theme and launch the Mac Book Pro's in the same breath. Everyone was expecting the mac Pro's to be launched at the Apple event, not the same week as CES so you can't simply say they would of announced the MB Pro updates at the same time.

Well, you buy an iphone because you want an iphone, not an N95 ;) There are people out there that like the interface and are willing to pay.

Are there any credible reports about sales though? Orange have officially said 70,000 sales in France, which was in line with the 50,000-100,000 that they were hoping for. I've seen lots of gossip on the internet, but nothing from any credible source (mainstream press etc.). I do think there are a lot of bloggers and tech sites who absolutely love to knock Apple and Microsoft and won't let facts get in the way of it.

Yes the iPhone is a flop, all across the net their are reports of poor sales, if you walk into an O2 shop you have to pay over £400 before you can walk out the door with one, ask the majority of people and they will all say it costs FAR too much especially for the features.

Funny mine costed me £269 and I walked out of the shop with it! Wasn't aware of a price hike. Besides ask any owner and you won't here a word about missing features. Best phone for my use I have every had, yes it costs a bit but so do others when you compare like for like.....

I love the Mac Pro cases, nothing wrong with it...

The pre macworld release of the updated mac pro and Xserve is just another sign of Apple's mastery of advertising. During CES when every high end techno geek is on high alert they release something so stupidly powerful it makes everything else announced this week look old hat.

Add to that the fact it gives them double publicity, remember when they released the new iMac and at the same time boosted the speed of the macmini, almost no attention was paid to the mini, by announcing an update early the web is full of Apple story's and over the weekend it will be full of Mac pro testing reviews leading into the new products on Tuesday which will be all over the net next week. Its just genius as Apple story's will be all over the net for the rest of the week at least.

Jobs is a media guru, same number of product releases but staggered to make it look more significant, and it makes sure that someone will be buying over the next week as they are certain that none of that kit will get a update.

I had a N95, sold it for the iPhone, the iPhone technically isnt as sophisticated, by my god is it a much nicer and easier phone to use, it is typically Apple, does everything you need without over complicating things.

Incidentally I have also ordered a new Mac Pro tonight spec is as follows:-
Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
2GB (2x1GB)
2xATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR3
320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
One 16x SuperDrive
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mac OS

The memory and hard drives I will upgrade myself as I am not paying Apple prices for standard items. Hopefully having the two graphics card will run my 30" and 20" Apple screens better than my current Powermac does.

Cant wait for it to arrive.

Loathe the MacPro cases... love the G3 and G4 though.

Funny mine costed me £269 and I walked out of the shop with it! Wasn't aware of a price hike. Besides ask any owner and you won't here a word about missing features. Best phone for my use I have every had, yes it costs a bit but so do others when you compare like for like.....

I love the Mac Pro cases, nothing wrong with it...

I read that in some cases the O2 shop charges a £100 deposit and 2 months line rental on top of the phones cost before leting you have it, and thats was in a Mc magazine by the way and not a website, and other phones are no where hear the cost of the iPhone, your dreaming on that one. How can you say a free phone costs the same as a £269 phone. and the iPhone is NOT 3G let alone 3.5G that ll the other handsets are so if your in a city fine, I'm not so I would have to use the 2.5G network to browse the web or check email etc and that is far too slow.
I suppose it depends if you think spending £899 plus on a phone is worth it.
The iphone has a fantastic user interface, and is very innovative but it has far too many things wrong with it for it to succeed in it's current form.

And with regards to the Mac Pro case, I just think it could have been updated but it works inside, did read that the fans weren't powerful enough to keep things cool if you fill all the hard drive bay's up though etc.

I read that in some cases the O2 shop charges a £100 deposit and 2 months line rental on top of the phones cost before leting you have it, and thats was in a Mc magazine by the way and not a website, and other phones are no where hear the cost of the iPhone, your dreaming on that one. How can you say a free phone costs the same as a £269 phone. and the iPhone is NOT 3G let alone 3.5G that ll the other handsets are so if your in a city fine, I'm not so I would have to use the 2.5G network to browse the web or check email etc and that is far too slow.
The iphone has a fantastic user interface, and is very innovative but it has far too many things wrong with it for it to succeed in it's current form.

Let's just say don't believe everything you read! A lot of it is nonsense and just not true :smashin:

My mate had to pay the £100 and 2 months rental along with the contract when he got his iPhone, but that was O2's doing not Apple's. It's basically just a deposit which he will get back.

To say the £899 is just for a phone is short sighted, you are paying for a video iPod and a contract too. The cost of the phone part is the difference between 8 and 16 Gb on the Touch. I personally wouldn't want an N95, I found an N73 clunky and slow and don't want another item to carry around. The iPhone and it's contracts aren't right for everyone, and I can see why it's not for you, but I don't think you can say it has bombed.

Anyway, this is :offtopic: and should be in another thread in the phones forum. Glad a MacPro update was announced today. Lots of people were waiting patiently for it and I think they've met the compromises most potential buyers want on CPUs, FSB speed, GPUs and RAM. It also means there might be more goodies to be announced at MW next week. Here's hoping.

I had a N95, sold it for the iPhone, the iPhone technically isnt as sophisticated, by my god is it a much nicer and easier phone to use, it is typically Apple, does everything you need without over complicating things.

Incidentally I have also ordered a new Mac Pro tonight spec is as follows:-
Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
2GB (2x1GB)
2xATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR3
320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
One 16x SuperDrive
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)
Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mac OS

The memory and hard drives I will upgrade myself as I am not paying Apple prices for standard items. Hopefully having the two graphics card will run my 30" and 20" Apple screens better than my current Powermac does.

Cant wait for it to arrive.

I agree with the way the iPhone works is great, it works much better then my SE P1i, when I can get it on Orange or Sim free and I can install Tom Tom on it and the bluetooth works with my GPS and it has 3G then I will be getting one for definite.
As for the Mac you just ordered, I'm jealous! Are you going to take some photos of it and post them up? What you gonna use it for?
I was surprised that they didn't launch a Blue Ray option for the Mac Pro today as well, maybe that will be in the keynote as well?

My mate had to pay the £100 and 2 months rental along with the contract when he got his iPhone, but that was O2's doing not Apple's. It's basically just a deposit which he will get back.
The credit check does not get done in the shop, the phone itself still costs £269, nothing more to pay in the shop. And if the credit rating is that bad it most likely will happen with another contract of the same value as well!

Wonder whether I should get one of these Mac Pro's for my daughter instead of a Mac Mini :D

Personally I can't wait for quad core MBP! That's when I will upgrade my current MB...

And with regards to the Mac Pro case, I just think it could have been updated but it works inside, did read that the fans weren't powerful enough to keep things cool if you fill all the hard drive bay's up though etc.

Again though, do you have any credible sources regarding European sales? You seem to be calling the iphone a flop simply because you don't like some of the features and/or you're not prepared to pay for it.

jaglad, if you dont mind me asking; how much ?

Just over three grand with Apple care :suicide:, A lot of money granted, but then I do give my computers a hamering, my Powermac has lasted me well, but this beast should last even longer. Thing that did it for me was my MacBook Pro which runs is a Core 2 Duo running at 2.4Ghz with only 2Gb of ram is quicker than my Powermac which is a Dual 2.7Ghz with 4.5Gb of ram.

apolloa I will post some pics of it when I get it, it will get used for all sorts, Photos mostly (yes it is over kill but what the hey) it will also have windows of various flavours installed on it as I still have to mess around in the PC world for work etc and so do still require a PC at times, so the Mac Pro will be able to run OSX and Windows at the same time with ease.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom