New Mac owner with a Big problem - Any help much appreciated

Evilarron

Standard Member
Hiya, new user hear

I've just today bought an ex-display older generation Macbook from comet. (Got quite the good deal) Just one problem. The battery wont charge, my macbook is recognizing the battery as being there, but when i unplug my power cable the system shuts off.

This is what is showing in system profile

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-ASMB016-3702-34e3
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0002
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 102a
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0102
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 66
Battery health: Poor
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 6207

Was wondering how i go about fixing this, i've gone through all what apple recommends like resetting the pram and still my battery wont charge.
would it be worth taking to my nearest apple store? , and if i did that would i have to book an appointment with the geniuses beforehand?

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Im sure there is some rep hear to be given :D

TonyA

Hi...

The fact that the battery health is reading "Poor" and the figures on the charge remaining/capacity are showing as "0", its not looking good.

Here's the stats from my battery in my MBP:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 4742
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4742
Health Information:
Cycle count: 69
Battery health: Good

You will need to book an appointment before going in to see the "Genius" at your local Apple Store, but I'm certain they're going to advise buying a new battery, which when purchased from Apple will set you back £99.

I've seen them at £48.68 from: http://www.powertoolbattery.co.uk/5...-macbook-pro-13-inch-series-batte-p-2093.html - However I can not vouch for that company as I've never used them.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

teejay38

In the first instance Comet are responsible for the quality of the product and you should take it up with them. If it is faulty it should be returned to the place where you bought it. They can't just shuffle off their responsibilities to sell goods which are of " merchantable quality" . If they try to wriggle out of it tell them you are off to the local trading standards office to report them under the Sale of Gods Act.

roaster

My sister (with techno-terror) bought a macbook from the online store, and didn't open the box for 8 months. Same problem.

Almost certainly you have the same well known problem experienced by some Macbooks left on the shelf for months before being used. The firmware thinks the battery is faulty and not safe to try charging. Apple will swap the battery for you. Just phone up and say you've just bought it but it's been in Comet stock for months. They will send a new battery. They will take a credit card number off you in case you don't return the old one via the supplied free return shipping label with the same carrier.

Have the old battery and some sticky tape by the front door ready for when the new one comes; you can keep the delivery man there while you instantly do the required return of the old battery in the same box.

Edit: Of course legally it's Comet's responsibility, but they largely implement their responsibility by referring you to Apple. In the unlikely (IMO) event that you don't get satisfaction from Apple, you can get stroppy with Comet.

neh0

Before calling Apple check what date they've got as the shipping/registration date for your MacBook.

I bought an ex-display MB from The Tech Guys/DSG and Apple had it recorded as only having 6 months warranty left.

There's a form on the Apple website you fill in and send to Apple with your Comet receipt.

HTH,
Neil

Evilarron

Standard Member
Thanks for all the quick replies :), i've booked an appointment with one of the apple store geniuses , ill let you know what happens when i get back

Evilarron

Standard Member
Am back from the apple store with a brand new working battery, so since i now have a working battery i decided to format and get rid of all the comet cr*p.

Bad idea, i now cant re-install leopard, as the recovery disks are obviously not for my version of macbook.

so i have decided to take the suker back and ask for a refund.

It was nice using the Mac operating system, i just wish my Mac "worked".

Thanks for all the help.

jont

I'd push them to give you a copy of Leopard if I were you ... I'd hate for your Mac-experience to have been so short-lived due to bad service ...

Jon

Chester

Here here, don't give up yet! Looks like they've mixed up the disks with a different Mac they had on the shelf. Why Comet didn't just keep the stuff all together in the original box in the first place is a little beyond me. Oh well!

Evilarron

Standard Member
Well i have returned the Macbook, but i have decided to give the mac experience another try, so im going to get one from the higher education store through a mate @ uni.

Hopefully this one will work :smashin:

Once again thanks for all the help given. I appreciate it

Peter163

Standard Member
I've seen them at £48.68 from: http://www.powertoolbattery.co.uk/5...-macbook-pro-13-inch-series-batte-p-2093.html - However I can not vouch for that company as I've never used them.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

If you buy this battery from powertoolbattery.co.uk, you may come to regret it as much as I did. It arrived inadequately packed - foam only on one side - and as a consequence did not survive well an impact in transit. The battery still works electrically, but the case is so distorted that it is impossible to use it in my mbp on a flat tabletop. On asking powertoolbattery.co.uk what they proposed to do about this - they had, after all, charged me money for P&P - here's what came back:

"But we are in China, I think you should ask Post to refund you."

Place this against what they are prepared to write on the customs declaration on their package ('Gift, value $5'), and one forms a certain picture of this outfit's integrity.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom