New mac mini has died

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by the colonel, Jan 7, 2012.

1. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I seem to have killed my new mac mini or at best locked it up.

About a week ago I installed Windows 7 so I could access work documents on it.
    All went well until after a couple of days I noticed on start up when I held the 'alt' key I didn't get the option to select which operating system to start up. It just defaulted to the last one used. I then had to shut down and try again, typically after two or three attempts I get the option to select the operating system.

Call it an old windows habit but after a session I do shut down the Mac, no reason for it to be on as it is not running any torrents etc. However, last night I did not shut it down. I can't remember if it was left in windows or mac because I was chopping and changing between the two operating systems.

This evening I switched the Mini on but there is nothing! No activity on the screen at all. I get a single power up chime and the green light is on the mini but that is all. I have shut it down a few times and held the 'alt' key but nothing happens on screen.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong or what I can do to correct it? I hope the graphics card has not died!

I have quickly checked the monitor and lead by connecting to my laptop and all is fine there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Try this.
    Leave the monitor off and power up mini. Wait till you hear the chime and your mini is up and running then turn on your monitor.

3. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the advice NewfieDrool, it worked but I am not sure how. This morning I tried your method three times to no avail. Went and fetched the shopping, on my return powered the Mac up and it worked!!

If somebody posts on here today that 'Macs just work' I will get banned after I reply ;)

4. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Glad it's working.
    I had a pc setup that once would not boot up with screen and my current pc setup needs the monitor on first or the screen res is not set right.
    Could this fault be a faulty lead from mac to monitor or a connection fault on the mac it's self?

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Macs 'just work' running OS X. If you introduce Windows into the equation then all bets are off:)

6. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Lol.

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,349
    Why not force a boot from the supplied usb key or dvd, then set the start up disk. Oh and first thing, hook something else up to the monitor to ensure it isn't the screen ;)

And stop playing with Windows on it :p If you must, just virtualise it. Much easier and saves all those restarts.

8. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    A mac with a fault??? Never! ;) Tried the lead and monitor connection and it seems okay. Also wiggled the mac connection and it also seems fine.

I thought you were still banned Nigel? :laugh:
    You have no idea, owning this Mac had aged me 10 years! Nothing has worked easily! It has been and continues to be a battle of wills! It must be my previous criticism of Apple, and I can confirm 'pay back is a bitch'.

The only thing that went well was the installation and setting up of Windows!

It has a mind of it's own Dejongj! It decides which operating system I use! :D

It never does as it should, it's like having a second girlfriend.

Currently the best work around is to always start it in Windows then select boot camp for Mac... This works reliably...

I am looking at running parallels or VM, you are right it is a pain having to shut down. However, I still want to retain the option running Mac or Windows under full power rather than splitting resources when I undertake some video editing work.

You did not read all the thread! I have tested the lead and screen with my laptop and both are fine.

I pity the Apple 'genius' when I attend the first 'one to one' session :D

9. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    Have you done any disk maintenance at all? Use disk utility (click on finder window and command shift u and select disk utility).

Select the disk in the left hand pane and repair disk permissions. Also check disk while you are at it. Also check system prefs (apple menu) and open startup disk. Check both OS's are listed.

Don't forget that if you run windows, you need to consider your anti-virus software as it is a pc in that event and open to pc viruses.

Not sure any of this will help, but it's good practice to occasionally do some simple maintenance.

Graham

10. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    What about resetting the PRAM?

PRAM: Hold down command-option-p-r at startup until it chimes twice and then let go.

Unless you are very dextrous, you will need a second person to turn on and hold until second chime.

Col.

11. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies guys, been away with work longer than I thought/ wanted, hence the delay in replying.

I appreciate the comments but the machine is new and has only been switched on about 20 times! Surely such drastic action should not be necessary?

This evening I tried to connect my external LG blu ray player which was not detected :( However, an ancient Philips Drive was??

It was a similar story with three memory sticks... One detected, two not :(

Boot up into windows and all 5 register with no issues...

One very quick question, why does Lion not display when new hardware is added/ detected? Is it too much to ask?

I am beginning to think Lion was written by the KGB :laugh: It never tells you anything!

It is late and will look at your suggestions in greater detail tomorrow.

12. mikemelbrooks

mikemelbrooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Last time I checked1 and 2= 3 not 5 that could be your problem. How are the sticks formatted?

13. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    To find hardware configurations:

From the apple menu top left, drop down to the first item "About this mac"
    You get a basic info panel. If you click on 'more info', you gain access to all the specs of the machine.

Blu ray drives are not natively supported in OSX. I have no idea why this decision has been made, but it does seem an oversight.

The memory sticks may have been formatted specifically for the PC. If you go to utilities and disk utilities. Select the drive on the left (when mounted on the desktop) and format.

There is probably nothing wrong with the machine. More that you are trying to turn it into a pc : )

We mac users find windows equally frustrating :)

Graham

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  14. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,349
    Actually a bluray drive is natively supported. I use two ;) sure you can't play movies natively but can read bluray discs. But nothing will show until a disc is in it :)

If you open the console app in utilities it will show you all the messages when it tried to mount the disc.

Alternatively you can also install an app called USB monitor and it will give you instant feedback when you connect a device. Or install the growl notification network for all sorts of notifications from hardware an software.

15. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    Ah, just assumed that as the OS is not blu ray savvy. I don't have one, so I will have to bow out to those with more experience. Thanks for putting me right.

16. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Even if the memory stick was PC-formatted it should be visible. OS X can read/write FAT16/32 & read NTFS (read/write with 3rd-party software). I find OS X can be a bit iffy in detecting removable devices & you may need to plug/unplug the device several times before it is detected. This is true of Firewire & USB2 natively & also true with e-SATA & USB3 when used with add-in cards & 3rd-party drivers. There doesn't seem to be a good way of giving it a kick & forcing it to re-detect all devices on the particular bus.

17. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You are quite right 2+1=3
    However, I was including the two external optical drives as well.

So that is 3+2=5 :p

I booted into Windows on the Mac Mini and checked all five, more so looking for bad connections/ possible hardware issues.

To answer your question, one is NTFS (16GB) which is the one that is found and the other two are FAT 16 (1GB) which were not.

The Mac has to fit in with my other PC's and the first software loaded by me was 'Paragon' to enable me to read and make changes to Windows formatted disks on the Mac.

Thanks for replying Graham, as I stated at the start, I have installed 'Paragon' so that I can read and make changes to all to my Windows formatted disks in Lion.

The Mac has to work well with Windows, not the other way round :D

I appreciate what you are saying and you have to give a new operating a chance which is what I am doing. The problem is that that what I consider to be basics are not working well. Errors are intermittent with no apparent pattern to them. You put a memory stick in and it reads it, you replace the same stick an hour later and nothing!

I had a look at the messages Dejongj... Well what can I say... I don't bloody work at Bletchley Park you know! :p As a last resort I suppose Google is my friend.

All I want to do is transfer some songs from a 1GB memory stick!! You must know a cunning trick Dejongj? I doubt very much if a memory stick can get the better of your hackin'pro? Or are you booting up in Windows and not telling everyone? ;)

I remember reading about Growl and that is something I will install after a complete re-install.

I have tried what you said and it worked! The first one worked on the 6th attempt and the second one just made it on the 9th go (I was only going to 10)! :clap:

After copying what I wanted from the disks I shut down and tried to read them again. Things started well, the first was read at the first attempt, but the second failed to read even after 10 attempts so I gave up.

I am sorry but this is 'pants' I am always swapping and copying to memory sticks both for my own use and for work documents and this is not tolerable. At this rate the USB connectors will be worn out!

I am not convinced Lion is working correctly on this computer. From day one things have not worked as they should and I am going to clean everything out and try a full re-install to see if that helps and improves matters.

Thanks for all the replies, they do help! Macs are still the best, I just cannot get it to work to prove that ;)

18. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,349
    There is a bit more than the hackinpro :) like an iMac, MacBook air, MacBook pro and a black book oh an a mini server Then there is the two Solaris servers making the San plus an esxi host with all sorts, Ubuntu netbook, Sony/Del/dell xp/vista/win7 whole raft of toys and all working together :)

Anyway when you remove a removable drive you are ejecting it aren't you? Not just yanking it out? The latter is the most common reason for removable media not being recognised when reinserted. If such a thing happens check disk utility and see whether the partition has mounted and you may have to force it manually.

When you reinstall I would ensure it is stable as a mac first before you start putting bootcamp on it and before you reinstall the paragon file service extension.

However if you can and your windows machines are modern I would advise to just use exfat opposed to ntfs as that is natively supported by both. And much faster to read and write than ntfs.

Console might be overwhelming at first site but hey you wanted more info :) but actually once you get over that it is normal English in there and really not hard. Have it open prior to sticking in a device, stick it in and you'll see the relevant message popping up. That will give the real clue of what is going on.

19. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    An impressive list Dejongj! :eek:
    I must come clean but your Hackinpro has left a lasting impression on me...
    I well remember when you did the spec on this forum and it came in at more than a genuine Apple Mac Pro! :rotfl:

With what Apple charge that is not easy to do! ;)

I cannot eject the disks because they are not recognised or powered up :confused:
    I have no option but to pull them out and try again.

Been speaking to a long time Mac user at work and he agrees with you. Better understand the Mac first and get it running well. Accept the fact there are differences then add windows/ bootcamp etc. Thinking about it this is good advice and what I will do.

Exfat is new to me so will take a look at that once the reinstall takes place.

Good advice again regarding console when I install the disks. Not going to be adding anything else though until I do the reinstall.

Wish me luck regarding the fresh install, I will probably need it.

Regards,

the colonel

20. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Good luck!

21. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,349
    Good luck from a retired lieutenant :)

22. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Another good luck from me too!

23. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    Old chinese proverb - "Why buy a cat just to make it look like a dog. Buy a dog."

Think this might translate into just buy a pc and make life easier.

Just kidding, but might be worth considering. :)

Good luck.
    Graham

24. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Love the analogy, considering all OS X releases are named after big cats, and all PC's are...

;-)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  25. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,349
    Lol didn't see that at first, but your interpretation is much funnier :)

26. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,219
    Was I too subtle? I did make it up you know :smashin:

Graham

27. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,349
    Yes :)

28. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Bought a 'pup' more like :laugh:

29. the colonel

the colonel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies, hopefully the re-install will cure all the ills...