New M&K LCR 750 speakers as surrounds with existing S125/S125C & V-1250THX ?

Tiger7

Novice Member
Some 20 years ago I bought a 5.1 M&K speaker package consisting of 750THX (LCR), 550THX (surrounds) and a
V-1250THX sub. Owing to repeated magnetic shielding issues with the centre channel (back then a problem for the old CRT Televisions !) the 750s were freely upgraded to S125/C speakers.

The S125/C speakers came with two sets of speaker bindings, one labelled "Normal Output" and one labelled "Maximum Output", I initially tried the "Normal Output" and was massively disappointed, they didn't have the same sound (timbre) I enjoyed with the 750s at all...however when I switched to the "Maximum Output" bindings I was blown away and have loved these speakers ever since. I continued to use the 550s for a good while but for whatever reason they broke/failed and I never got round to replacing them. I now want to get a pair of surround speakers to match my (still working perfectly well and to my ears absolutely awesome !) S125s.

I don't really want to spend more than £1,500 if I can help it and was initially looking at maybe getting a pair of M&K SUR55T...but I'm not sure about the tripole design. I'm pretty sure I'd end up having to have the "rear port" of one speaker firing directly into a wall on one side of my room but not the other and the sound stage would be completely compromised so I'm now thinking about maybe getting just two regular monopole speakers...perhaps the LCR 750s which I think can be had for £1,200 the pair.

Do you think the 750s would be a reasonable match for my S125s (given my "Maximum Output" preference) ?
or perhaps it might be worth spending a bit more to get the 950s ? (at maybe £1,600 the pair)
or perhaps reconsider the SUR55Ts ?
or some other option I haven't thought about ?

Any help/advice would be greately appreciated.

Jase

Distinguished Member
SS150THX Tripoles would be my choice as the tweeter and main driver is a perfect match to the S125's. Used ones come up for sale at varying prices ranging from good to hilarious. There were a couple of sets in the Classifieds fairly recently.

Even cheaper here:-

Tiger7

Novice Member
SS150THX Tripoles would be my choice as the tweeter and main driver is a perfect match to the S125's. Used ones come up for sale at varying prices ranging from good to hilarious. There were a couple of sets in the Classifieds fairly recently.

Even cheaper here:-

Many thanks for the advice, I'll definitely give this some thought !

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom