1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New M/B, CPU and Fan but how much memory?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Ridcully, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just about to upgrade my computer using one of the Komplett bundles consisiting of

CPU fan
    XP2100 CPU
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2r m/b
    PC2700 memory

The pack comes with 256 memory. Is this going to be enough so that I can put in more memory later or should I buy the bits separately and get a 512 block. alternatively what are the disadvantages of buying 2*256 as opposed to 1*512.

Help

2. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    256MB should be enough for normal use, even with windows xp. If you're going to be doing a lot of video editing or playing resource-hungry games then I'd recommend 512MB. If you don't need the extra now, wait until it becomes a bit cheaper then buy a second stick from the same manufacturer and of the exact same spec - this should be as good as one 512MB stick.

3. Steiner83

Steiner83

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the previous speaker....if you don't do a lot of video editing or something similar to that, 256MB will do fine.
    The only drawbacks of using 2x256MB instead of 1x512 is that you will take up one more slot and in some cases the 512MB modules are easier to overclock (probably not of any conern for you ;)) or it could be the other way round, that 256MB modules are easier to overclock and that if one of them brakes, you still have one left to use.

I'd go for the price difference, which isn't that big anyways so I guess it is a personal choice :).