New Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 Streaming amp

Yeah. I wasted too much time looking into MQA to understand what it’s all about. It’s confusing to the consumer and marketed in a disingenuous way IMHO.

I’d rather just have FLACs even if they are CD quality without the MQA gumpf which looks to actually reduce resolution and add noise with just one unfold.

I just signed up for a Qobuz trial because of this thread!

View attachment 1470292

Have to agree with you Craig. I prefer Qobuz myself and in non-scientific listening tests, I consistently preferred it to Tidal and to me it sounded closest to the quality of my CDs.

Given this latest update to the 3400 and while I still have access to Tidal for another 5 weeks, I'm going to do a few more tests, but doubt my mind will be changed. Also, from the changelog, I think Lyngdorf have improved their UPnP interface, so it will be interesting to see if Qobuz via their Beta UPnP has improved in terms of stability. I'd really like to be able to ditch Roon if possible.

I wasted too much time looking into MQA to understand what it’s all about. It’s confusing to the consumer and marketed in a disingenuous way IMHO
Agree. I was puzzled for a while by the legality of the statement that MQA files are "lossless" and contain masters, given that it is not physically possible to hide a 24/192 stream inside a 24/48 stream, nor a 24/176 stream inside a 16/44.1 one. How could they get away with it?

Then I realized that MQA uses the words carefully and in an entirely circular sense: The literal defence is that it is lossless just because the MQA file is a FLAC file that has been prepared by the music label, and it is delivered to the user (bit)exactly as it was prepared by the label... and the authentication light guarantees that you get the file the music label - i.e. "the creators" (!) - intended you to get, which is referred to as the master. 😂

Has anyone any idea of the max voltage output from the pre/sub outputs on the 1120 please?

Agree. I was puzzled for a while by the legality of the statement that MQA files are "lossless" and contain masters, given that it is not physically possible to hide a 24/192 stream inside a 24/48 stream, nor a 24/176 stream inside a 16/44.1 one. How could they get away with it?

Then I realized that MQA uses the words carefully and in an entirely circular sense: The literal defence is that it is lossless just because the MQA file is a FLAC file that has been prepared by the music label, and it is delivered to the user (bit)exactly as it was prepared by the label... and the authentication light guarantees that you get the file the music label - i.e. "the creators" (!) - intended you to get, which is referred to as the master. 😂
I have never understood why we needed a new way of delivering music by, what is in effect, a lossy compressed format that requires dedicated kit to play when we have a universal format - FLAC that saves space, is lossless compression and is supported on most kit - AND DOESN'T COST EXTRA TO USE - (licencing and hardware). As I see it MQA is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist so pointless.

Has anyone any idea of the max voltage output from the pre/sub outputs on the 1120 please?
It's on the lyngdorf site under specifications
Analog output: 1 x Stereo Analog RCA (75ohm-Max output level 4 Vrms)

As I see it MQA is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist so pointless.
Yes, exactly that.

As soon as some restrictions lift, so I can put the mobile app through its paces properly, I’m starting the Qobuz free trial with a view to moving away from Tidal.

Curiouser and curiouser, quoting Lyngdorf Audio (their own page with that name) on FB about the TDAI-3400 update:

"It's the MQA Core Decoder. The MQA Renderer or MQA Full Decoder would require a DAC and analogue output stage to "perform DAC-specific compensation" by MQA, while the TDAI-3400 is fully digital by design - there's no DAC to compensate".

From what I have read about MQA elsewhere, I have been under the impression that the last "unfold" requires MQA to be sent to an analogue output, because MQA does not allow digital capture of the fully decoded stream. Thus the accusations of MQA being "DRM in disguise" etc.

Last edited:
Curiouser and curiouser, quoting Lyngdorf Audio (their own page with that name) on FB about the TDAI-3400 update:

"It's the MQA Core Decoder. The MQA Renderer or MQA Full Decoder would require a DAC and analogue output stage to "perform DAC-specific compensation" by MQA, while the TDAI-3400 is fully digital by design - there's no DAC to compensate".

From what I have read about MQA elsewhere, I have been under the impression that the last "unfold" requires MQA to be sent to an analogue output, because MQA does not allow digital capture of the fully decoded stream. Thus the accusations of MQA being "DRM in disguise" etc.
If this is about the 3400 and MQA, of which is neither is relevant to the 1120
then: Lyngdorf discussion
might be better than clogging the 1120 thread

I’m seriously tempted at trying out an 1120 and using it as some have done in conjunction with an AVR, in my case a Denon X8500.
I like the idea of the denon’s ability to bypass audyssey on the left and right mains so I could utilise Room Perfect for those and the sub but still have audyssey managing the other speakers if it will work?

Couple of questions I have, I have two big subwoofers I want to keep utilising in my HT setup so would I use a splitter cable to run them into the 1120 as I imagine a mono signal would be best?
Secondly, how easy is it to switch between HT mode and 2.1 music mode as I want my partner to use it all without too much complication?

I’m seriously tempted at trying out an 1120 and using it as some have done in conjunction with an AVR, in my case a Denon X8500.
I like the idea of the denon’s ability to bypass audyssey on the left and right mains so I could utilise Room Perfect for those and the sub but still have audyssey managing the other speakers if it will work?

Couple of questions I have, I have two big subwoofers I want to keep utilising in my HT setup so would I use a splitter cable to run them into the 1120 as I imagine a mono signal would be best?
Secondly, how easy is it to switch between HT mode and 2.1 music mode as I want my partner to use it all without too much complication?
You can set the TDAI-1120 to send mono or stereo signals out of its analog outs so you can try both and see which works best for you.

I am using one with a Marantz receiver. Switching is easy if you connect a mono 3.5mm jack between the two using the 12V trigger out -> out and set HT mode. You will also have to connect their ground screws with a bit of speaker cable to avoid a ground loop.

As mentioned above, very straightforward using a trigger cable and no splitter for subwoofers required.

We have always achieved excellent results integrating Denon’s and the 1120.

Best, Tom

If you did get a ground loop disconnecting the shield from the trigger cable also solves it. We’ve done that successfully on an 1120 and Denon.

Post repeated

I have a 1120 integrated into my Cambridge Audio CXR200 AVR for 5.1 or 7.1 films/music.
I love the way the 1120 switches on/off with the AVR as required & automatically switches to the correct i/p or can be used completely independently in 2.1 mode for stereo music via the control app, this makes it a doddle to use for anyone.

I have a 1120 integrated into my Cambridge Audio CXR200 AVR for 5.1 or 7.1 films/music.
I love the way the 1120 switches on/off with the AVR as required & automatically switches to the correct i/p or can be used completely independently in 2.1 mode for stereo music via the control app, this makes it a doddle to use for anyone.
Sounds quite an exciting prospect, I love my Denon but getting Room Perfect on my music side and combining the two sounds ideal, I’ll try and find the best option for a trial.

Please excuse my crass ignorance folks, but what music streaming services are owners of this product using to justify the £2k outlay?

Please excuse my crass ignorance folks, but what music streaming services are owners of this product using to justify the £2k outlay?
The 1120 should work with just about any streaming service because it has so many input options. It is not just the streaming capability that justifies the money, RoomPerfect is one of the main drivers.

Connect the TDAI-1120 to your WiFi and enjoy all the integrated streaming services.
  • Chromecast built-in
  • Spotify® Connect
  • Roon Ready
  • AirPlay2
  • Bluetooth connectivity
  • Internet Radio (vTuner)
  • Network/local file playback

Last edited:
Sounds quite an exciting prospect, I love my Denon but getting Room Perfect on my music side and combining the two sounds ideal, I’ll try and find the best option for a trial.
We’d be delighted to assist with this. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch anytime.
Best, Tom

The streaming capabilities were not an important part of my reasons for buying the TDAI-1120, but rather the room correction and the all-digital pathway. My stereo system now feels like a very different system than any other I have owned. It is very musical even in my living room, which is built very much like a concrete bunker with lots of boominess. Even the digital RIAA-stage improves on my former analog one, probably because of the RP.

I purchased 1120 in the end, considering previously Yamaha 803D. I wanted hassle free wireless abilities to use BT, Airplay and play files from my pc via wireless.
Even if flac/mp3 dlna stream from foobar is currently 100% usage case for me, I like having other options available just in case.
Built in EQ turned out to be game changer for me, much bigger than Room Perfect for me (I have and listen to my audio system in my office room while working).

If it is >that< much better than 803D I was considering? I do not know. I think the difference would not be night and day since 803D is one of the best all in stereo amps in its price level and in the end users get used to listening anything they have.
But lack of the EQ would make my cry after first time I tuned it to my liking. It is impossible for me to imagine living without it and I use it daily, at least 2-3 diff presets depending on the situation around.

Have to agree with you Craig. I prefer Qobuz myself and in non-scientific listening tests, I consistently preferred it to Tidal and to me it sounded closest to the quality of my CDs.
I also preferred Qobuz over Tidal MQA in blind and non-blind testing at home (for the blind testing my wife was driving the controls to play a number of pre-selected tracks from another room; I just closed my eyes and listened).

A very basic question: Can I connect a Roon core (with single ethernet port) to the TDAI-1120 so they communicate via ethernet? Both are placed together far away from my router, and I would like both to be connected by the same long (5m) cable. Would I need a splitter, switch, or hub? I have been using wifi for so long that I know hardly anything about wired networks. Would a USB connection be necessary in addition to the ethernet?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom