• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New lounge tv or new bedroom tv?

Jp78

Standard Member
Hi, after some advice please.

I currently have a 5 year old Pioneer Kuro PDP428XD in my living room connected up to Sky HD, PS3 and Sony surround sound system. Then in my bedroom I have a 42" Hyundai, very poor screen which I got free from a mate many years ago, it is connected to another Sky HD box although the screen itself isn't HD.

I want to bin the Hyundai screen in the bedroom so my question is do I make do with the Pioneer In the lounge and buy a new TV for bedroom, if so what do you recommend? Alternatively do I move the Pioneer to the bedroom and buy a new TV for the lounge again if so what?

To my, non expert, eyes the picture on the Pioneer is decent enough still but would be interested to know whether picture quality has moved on massively in last 5 years, also do I need a Smart, 3D TV in the lounge? Am I missing out?

I don't want to spend a load of money, maybe £700-£1000 but could always be tempted into spending more!

Any advice welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jp78

Standard Member
I think 60in could be a little large for my lounge! Could easily be tempted though

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Yes TV's have moved on but you have a cracking product in the Pioneer. On the other hand your Bedroom TV sounds like it's seen better days.

Personally I would buy a decent TV for the bedroom for now. I'd also recommend something like a Samsung. You could probably get away with a nice 46 that will be no bigger than your current 42 (nice slim bezels these days) and the Smarthub is a nice addition as would give you things like Spotify and iPlayer in your bedroom.

I'd then wait until TV takes is next major leap forward and when prices have come down. Things like glasses free 3D and certainly 4k when it's mainstream are now being released and will come down in a year or 2 but certainly 3.

I say this as I'm in a similar situation in that I have a cracking Pioneer EX5000PDP - it was the first full 1080p set in the UK around 7 years ago. Still a terrific picture (many people comment on it when they come over) and there is nothing really wrong with it but yes it's not the latest tech BUT I'm not really missing much either. SO in short I'll be replacing it when there is a major leap as mentioned above and in the meantime I have replaced other TV's around the house that aren't capable of showing a stunning picture.

Just my opinion but hope it helps :)

All the best

Last edited:

Jp78

Standard Member
Good advice Mr X. I think that replacing the bedroom TV might be the way forward.

Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
I'd go to a good dealer and have a look, a bargain 50GT50 or VT50 may sway you for the lounge ;)

You'll be struggling to get a 60" for £1000 I'd say

Jp78

Standard Member
I'd go to a good dealer and have a look, a bargain 50GT50 or VT50 may sway you for the lounge ;)

You'll be struggling to get a 60" for £1000 I'd say

Oh no, now you are tempting me back into changing the lounge TV

vickster

Distinguished Member
That's what I'd do - have the best and biggest TV in the lounge

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom