New LOEWE LCD TV - poor TVimages

fka001

Standard Member
Hello ,

I am new to this forum.

I have just had a new Loewe Connect Media TV installed and this is connected to my Virgn Media BOx ( not V+). The image I am getting is very poor . It has poor refresh rates and the colour images do not appear to be even. I am not watching sports but even normal images apear to show ripples . Images are not sharp at all.

My CRT images were much better.

In addition, I cant seem to get TV on its own. This is the only way I can get a telext.

Its a fairly expensve TV and I was expecting much more that this.

The guys from sevenoaks sound and vision who did the install and set up say it takes a couple of weeks or so for things to settle .

I'm not a happy bunny.

I am in process of getting V+ but since this only covers a few Channels and I would I think the other channels will still have poor quality image.

Any advice please?

Monarch

Distinguished Member
There are a few possible causes of your problems, either the cables are of poor quality, the settings on the Virgin box are suited for a CRT or the LCD is just not as good.

First of all I will say that decent CRTs are better suited to SD TV and even the high end TVs fail to match them in some areas and many argue that there isn't an LCD or plasma which matches the SD capabilities of a top end CRT, obviously it does go down to preference but you might be expecting too much, especially as LCDs are more suited to HD sources (so are plasmas, but to a lesser extent).

What's the model of the TV? how big is the TV? and how much did you spend on it? I can't say I've seen much from Loewe but on the prices I've seen I would expect a lot. I wont be able to help you any further I don't think as I don't know about what the Virgin box settings need to be etc...but provide a little more information and I'm sure someone will help. Make sure you've fiddled with the settings, maybe even try and find some calibrated settings on the net, they wont be calibrated to your set specifically but should be fairly close

CMcK

Try turning off DMI and DMM in the TV's menus. Once you get the V+ box you will see a huge difference with the picture quality. The V+ box outputs 720p or 1080i over HDMI and works with all channels.

fka001

Standard Member
Thanks for the response.

I had a play around with settings and cant seem to find ways to turn of DMI and DMM in tv menu. What I have noticed on both TV and blu ray is that the image appears to be zoomed. I have set to panaromic because this appears to be best for both tv and blu ray.

The movie Australia on blu ray appears zoomed as well. IT appears as if everything has been shot in close range so pictures are not dynamic. The car scenes where someone is just driving a car appears to have been shot in the studio ( probably was but should not be that obvious) so can see the rocking motion. All the scenes appear to have been shot in very close range in the studio even those that are outside scenes thats how close the pcitures appear to be. ITs a nightmare to watch. I've had to stop watching the film and not because its as bad as people say but the images are farcical beause they are so close to the tv.

THis is not to do with the viewing distance its just how the images appear.

Even ordinary tv channels ( not on cable ) that I have tuned appear this way as well.

I have a Loewe connect media 37" tv
Setup box is connected via scart
Blue ray is connected by Van der hul HDMI flat(What hi fi 5 star recommended).

HElp!

TyneBridges

Thanks for the response.

What I have noticed on both TV and blu ray is that the image appears to be zoomed. I have set to panaromic because this appears to be best for both tv and blu ray.

The movie Australia on blu ray appears zoomed as well. IT appears as if everything has been shot in close range so pictures are not dynamic.

When you say "zoomed", do you mean no black bars are visible? Most wide screen films are shot in something like 2.40:1, so there should be black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. If there aren't, your "panoramic" mode is both distorting and degrading the pictures, so I would switch it off.

Some viewers seem to like old 4:3 programming stretched horizontally to fill the screen, so that there are no black bars at the left and right. I'm completely baffled that they will accept the resultant distortion - no-one would dream of accepting their wedding photos if the photographer "improved" them by making the Happy Couple 33% fatter than they are in real life...

fka001

Standard Member
When you say "zoomed", do you mean no black bars are visible? Most wide screen films are shot in something like 2.40:1, so there should be black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. If there aren't, your "panoramic" mode is both distorting and degrading the pictures, so I would switch it off.

The black bars are showing , it pictures are not dynamic they look like the camera was on a few mms away from the actors. The motion looks like something from decades ago and not cinematic at all.

Suing 4:3 is no better than 16:9 on my tv. Images still appear too close up.

TyneBridges

The black bars are showing , it pictures are not dynamic they look like the camera was on a few mms away from the actors. The motion looks like something from decades ago and not cinematic at all.

Suing 4:3 is no better than 16:9 on my tv. Images still appear too close up.

Sorry, I'm stumped. It seems as if the TV is in some weird display mode but, not being familiar with Loewe sets, I'm not qualified to advise. Can anybody else guess what's happening with the OP's TV?

davee

I would have expected the guy who installed it to have produced an excellent picture or a very good reason why it doesnt. To have said that it takes a few weeks to settle down strikes me as a way of passing the buck.
I have the Loewe connect 42 which I had connected to my freeview pvr with a QED scart. The picture wasnt great, at least not as good the the Loewe CRT which it replaced which was disappointing at first however using the inbuilt receiver improved things dramatically and I am delighted with the tv. I dont have any HD sources yet and some SD programmes are c*ap but a good quality standard DVD is amazing. Interestingly the programmes which are filmed in HD although not received in HD are very high quality.

I know you have paid a premium for the Loewe and I think its worth it but I would go back to your dealer and get them to sort it out, after all Loewe pay their dealers to install their tvs, its part of the deal, as is taking away all the packaging if you dont want it.

There is always Loewes tech support as well. Hope you get it sorted out.

YellowSphere

Australia has too many close ups? Take that up with Baz Luhrmann. That man loves close ups!

fka001

Standard Member
I have the Loewe connect 42 which I had connected to my freeview pvr with a QED scart. The picture wasnt great, at least not as good the the Loewe CRT which it replaced which was disappointing at first however using the inbuilt receiver improved things dramatically and I am delighted with the tv. I dont have any HD sources yet and some SD programmes are c*ap but a good quality standard DVD is amazing.
There is always Loewes tech support as well. Hope you get it sorted out.

Can you tell me how you "used built receiver". I have tuned the terestial channels, connect setup to av2 and blu ray to HDMI 1. ANy thing else you did to use the inbuilt recevier?

BTW , ssavs are going to come and take another look so fingers crossed.

davee

Nope, just connected the aerial straight into the back of the tv. Kept the RF loop in place as per the illustrated manual.
Previously the aerial went to the freeview box first and the signal returned to the tv via scart.
To be fair the installers tuned it all in for me, both analogue and digital signals, removed those channels I didnt want etc. They were with me for over an hour until my brain went into overload trying to take it all in

Hope 7oaks sort it out for you. Its a stunning tv especially with the media player.

fka001

Standard Member
Its now been about 2 weeks since my first post. I now have V+ though connected via scart whils tI wait for delivery of HDMI.

The pictures are quite sharp the problem still seems to by the way the programs appear to be.

The best way I can describe it is to use two programs as example. Coronation Street and Friends. Friends and most american shows tend to be slightly different - i.e a bit more dynamic or more cinematic. Whilst Corrie /Eastenders etc appear to be in a different mode - best description is static and not just the acting. HAs a different feel to it.

Now all programs appear static. Probably making a hash of things here but I know something is not right. 7oaks say its the way HD is but not sure this is true.

adoagogo3

Standard Member
hi

i have a loewe connect media 42 DR.

i too was unhappy with the picture until i found the DMM and switched it off. I wonder if it is this setting which is causing you problems. It's in the 'Picture' settings - you need to select 'more' for it to appear.

Once i turned it off, the picture was exceptional.

Now I just have to figure out why the TV keeps randomly switching itself off.

Anyone else having this problem?

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom