New LNB for old Sky Dish?

ceejayw

Standard Member
Hi
I have Sky Mini Dish, 40cms high, 53 Wide with single feed LNB. I want to install Foxsat HDR for freesat viewing and understand I'll need a second feed and quad LNB.
There are lots of LNBs on FleBay but I don't know which to get.
Attached is a photo of my dish, would someone please advise on which quad LNB would fit?

attachment.php

Thanks for any suggestions
Clive

Attachments

• SatDish.jpg
    SatDish.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 4,704
Last edited:

djmetsandy

Hi ceejayw,

I've been doing a wee bit of research on this too and from what I have been told on here, and watching a few videos on Youtube, it should be easy to replace the LNB.

The following LNB on ebay seems to be getting good feedback for the price:
Link to Ebay Listing - Not bad for £5.15 inc P&P.

I haven't looked into the cost of cabling yet.

djmetsandy

I'm not too sure, you may need to put some more close up pictures on here of the arm that connects to the LNB and possibly ask the seller on Ebay whether a "Sky" adapter is required.

We basically need to determine how the LNB is attached, is it just a pin? If so, I'm sure the expect guys on here could easily answer that question.

mentsugi

Hi Clive,
As luck would have it I have actually just done the exact same thing to my dish and converted the single LNB that was on the dish to a quad LNB to allow me to use Sky+ and Freesat (for Footy on HD). The dish I have looks the same as the one in your picture (called a channel master) and from the look of your single LNB it used the same LNB ( Cambridge Instruments LNB). I too was worried if a LNB from eBay would work as they all said they would work on dishes up to 6 years old ( mine was 10 years old). As they are so cheap I bought a quad LNB (MTI) from eBay for around £6 and set to work. The only issue I found is that the 'finger' or 'spigot' that inserts into the square metal arm coming from the dish is smaller than the spigot of the new quad LNB (22mm x 10mm against latest size which are 28mm x 18 mm I believe). So I just used a hacksaw to cut the spigot down to the 22mm x 10mm size (carefully) and viola it slotted into the arm like a dream. Connected the inputs up and all works a treat with improved signal strength and quality for both Sky+ and Freesat.
You can buy an adaptor from eBay that appears to have the smaller spigot size but at around £4 to £5 (incl postage) it seemed worth trying the adjustment method described above.

ceejayw

Standard Member
Hi

Thanks for the reply.
My dish also has Channel Master on the bracket, Zone 1 43cm high, so probably the same set up. I've looked on fleabay, seen item no 120521062709, if you get a chance does this look right?
KRs Clive

alan1572

Hi

Thanks for the reply.
My dish also has Channel Master on the bracket, Zone 1 43cm high, so probably the same set up. I've looked on fleabay, seen item no 120521062709, if you get a chance does this look right?
KRs Clive

that item will fit but you will need to put the clamp on that comes with it as the clamp thats on the LNB at the moment is for the very latest dishes, you may find it quite a tight fit but by simply shaving of the ribs on the top of the clamp with a stanley knife ( you'll see them as soon as you pick up the clamp) it will slot straight in.

ceejayw

Standard Member
OK
Thanks to all for the advice. Looks like I've got another DIY job now!
Going to order my Humax Foxsat HDR from Richer Sounds tomorrow!

KRs to all
Clive

mentsugi

Hi Clive, Not the same LNB as the one I bought but pretty sure it will fit as Alan1572 says. Just be prepared for a bit of rework to the clamp.

Lazgoat

Standard Member
Are these cheap Ebay LNB's the same quality as the ones in Maplins for £30+?
I'm about to buy one but don't want to make a mistake!

alan1572

Are these cheap Ebay LNB's the same quality as the ones in Maplins for £30+?
I'm about to buy one but don't want to make a mistake!

the one in the link is the same as sky use and the same as i and many other installers use every day, the difference is Maplin's mark up.

Lazgoat

Standard Member
Just what I was hoping! Just bought one to replace the current single LNB and feed my other FreeSat box :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom