Question New living room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by 28061, Jul 16, 2015.

1. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Evening all,

Building on our new house has begun (albeit only 5 rows of bricks tall!) and I'm now starting to think about the AV layout of the living room. The room is a 4.7m x 4.3m rectangle, as shown in the attached floorplans.

I'm intending to build a false chimney to house the TV and 6 cat6 cables. All AV kit will be upstairs with video distributed by HDBaseT.

I've modelled a number of potential designs, but am struggling to get the Mrs on board with the ones that allow front L&R speakers to sit within the 22-30degree arcs recommended by Dolby. (Three potential designs attached - she wants No.2). If I'm honest, I also think it looks better :-\

I currently have a rubbishy set of Panasonic speakers that came with a ?£400 surround system about 8 years ago & a Sony STR-DN1030. I intend to keep the AVR for ?12 months but replace the speakers more or less immediately.

Here's my questions:

1) How much will it affect the sound if the speakers aren't in the 22-30 degree arcs?
    2) For this room & layout, what speakers would you recommend & where would you place the sub?
    3) Obviously I currently only have the most basic of speaker cables. I intend to cable the speakers in the build process, including
    provision for 2 ceiling atmos speakers for when I replace the AVR. What cable should I use?

Thanks everyone

I've nearly finished my server rack, will post pictures tomorrow providing the final pieces arrive!

Leigh

Edit:Duplicate image

Attached Files:

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    If you want the speakers recessed into the wall then buy in wall speakers and do not be tempted to buy normal speakers and put them in holes in the wall. Also normal speakers are not going to sound their best on a shelf or ledge so wall mount them if at all possible.
    What is your budget?
    As for speaker cable something like 2.5mm Van Damme Blue or Fissual cable will be more than enough but could get cheaper unbranded oxygen free copper cable of the same thickness and that would be fine too. No need to spend huge amounts on overpriced copper due to a fancy name.

3. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Thanks PSM1, useful info.
    No budget as such but the larger the cost the longer it'll take me to get them. Was expecting ?£500. Would happily spend less, and will spend more if absolutely necessary.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Is that for speakers and avr? If so then that is not a big budget and probably rules out in wall speakers.

5. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    No just the speakers. I'm going to keep my Sony STR-DN1030 until next summer.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    That is a little better but a good sub would be £300 so not a lot for the other speakers. A better idea would be to just buy the front pair or 3 for now with your budget. Then get the other speakers as funds allow. Your receiver easily justifies spending over £1k on speakers to get the best from it.

7. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Y'know, I didn't consider fitting the speakers directly to the external wall & note a number of others have.

Lots of contrasting info RE vapour locks & insulation though, what's the latest? Yes, no or depend on model?

I don't mind spending £1k, but it's going to have to be over a number of months; we've got a wedding and a new house to pay for in next three months!

Start me off with £600 - what do I get?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    I'd second the suggestion of wiring for your ideal setup and then starting off with a 2.1 system.

Atlantic Technology are what we use/supply for good quality In-wall systems - http://www.atlantictechnology.com/products/wall-ceiling-speakers/

Sub wise your likely to have to go with a freestanding box rather than In-wall - AT have their own range or you can consider BK Electronics.

The Sub will be best placed on the Front wall if your decor/room layout will allow it!

Joe

9. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Ok... Thanks for the info.
    I've spent a bit of time looking at the in wall speakers and found a few that look pretty good (including the Atlanti IWTS-5 LCR & Monitor WT265's) and I'm happy to begin with a 2.1 solution.

However, the speakers need to go on an external wall, so I need to have a chat with the builder about surface finish and find out how much space I've got to work with. They've already said they're not able to make changes during the build process that is likely to affect whether someone else will buy it or not (in case we pull out), so I think I'll just get them to lay the cable and I'll have to move in and sort it seperately.

I'll no doubt ask something similar in November but with more definitive info!

10. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Hi chaps,
    I now need to get the speaker cable and was thinking of this one:
    It's 2.5mm oxygen free cable.
    I actually still haven't decided on the speakers, and won't until early next year, but the cable needs laying during the build process now!

Is this cable ok?

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    I am always wary of low cost 'OFC' cable in a clear outer jacket - Google 'speaker cable turning green'!

Have seen examples of them going green and brittle over the years!

Have been using VanDamme Blue series 2x2.5mm for years and haven't come up with a reason to change!

Joe

12. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Thanks Joe,

A lot of people have recommended the VanDamme cable, but several including PSM have suggested that unbranded oxygen free cable would also be fine. Whilst I do believe in "buy cheap, buy twice", the wife (to be in 6 weeks) will have a hard time swallowing £150+ for speaker cable - especially in the middle of wedding, honeymoon & new house payments!

Although I'm going to start with 2.0, I want to wire for 5.1+2atmos during the build process. At 12m per run, that's 8x12=96metres.

I mean... Once the cables in, I could if necessary replace it in a few years by attaching the new cable to the old one and pulling on the old cable...

Am I going to have to stump up the £150+!?

13. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Cheaper cable can be fine but need to avoid the rubbish. Although van damme is a bit more if is a known quantity. I used van damme blue in my kitchen but have used cheaper with no issues too. The thing to watch for is copper clad aluminium, CCA, being sold as oxygen free copper.

14. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Ah. Guess what. Although advertised as copper, when specifically asked, they did admit it was CCA. Thank you.

Any recommendations for cheapest place for Van Damme cable? I've heard some people say the Hifi cable is better than the blue for home av use?

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    Copper is a relatively expensive commodity/material at present which drives cable prices higher.

Given the same gauge you will hear no difference between the Blue Series (co-axial) and Hi-Fi Series (shotgun) VDC cables.

We use Blue because it is easier to work with - the Shotgun cable will only 'bend' in one direction!

Joe

16. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Contrary to popular belief copper price as a base metal is through the floor at the moment. But no ones appears to have told the people higher up the chain yet!!!!

17. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Well that doesn't help me chaps! The cheapest I can find it is eBay @ £180 for 100m. That about right?

18. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    PSM1 - probably a bit early for that price to work through the supply chain!

28061 - I have no idea what our current 'Buy' price is from VDC, drop the office an email and we can have a look.

Joe

19. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    £1.80 per metre sounds about right to be honest. Copper price has been low for about a year now so should have worked its way through. Although probably like fuel prices, quick to go up but not so quick on the way down.

20. 28061

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Thanks chaps.
    By chance, a brand new, sealed 100m reel of the stuff went on eBay today for £150 buy it now, so I did exactly that!