New living room project

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi Folks,

It was 2007 when I last embarked upon this... Link to 2007 thread.

We've moved house again...

The old room was square which meant I had little choice other than to use overhead speakers for the surround. This was OK, but never fully satisfying. The new room is much narrower, but also much longer, so I'll be able to properly install the rear speakers where they should be.

Little new equipment is going to be bought, most of it was brought from the previous house. The only thing I sadly left behind was all the speakers which was rather nice B&W in wall gear.

Equipment is:-

JVC DLA-X30 projector
Panasonic 55VT60 plasma
Anthem MRX-510 AVR
SVS PB1000 Subwoofer
Various sources
83" Firehawk screen

Yet to be purchased are the speakers but I'm heavily leaning towards the new Monitor Audio Bronze range.

So... First job was to 'extract' the 1970's fireplace which had been lovingly crafted out of the same bricks the outside of the house was built out of. A thing of beauty it was not...

And here the problems began. I wanted the gas pipe capping off, but this wasn't possible as it would have left a buried dead leg which would have been impossible to purge in the future.

We'd (well, my other half, Mel) just finished decorating one of the bedrooms upstairs. New plaster, paint, carpet, the lot... Guess where the pipe junction was...

GRR! Anyway... Done now!

These are the cables which are going behind the skirting:-

5 x Cat6 (BlackBox Gigatrue 550Mhz)
- HDBaseT to the TV and two spares
- Two to the hallway where my router is
1 x Optical (Van Damme)
1 x HDMI (Cablesson)
1 x RF
3 x Speaker (Van Damme Blue Series 2.5mm)
2 x Subwoofer (Van Damme Patch)

Fireplace boarded over.

I'm using reverse profile aluminium skirting so I'll end up with a shadow gap around the bottom of the plaster, but this didn't leave much room for the cables. I started chiseling out more space behind, but it was very frustrating and extremely time consuming so gave up on that and re-routed the RF, left subwoofer, left speaker and two of the Cat6 cables to high level instead. Lost half a day here and wasted a load of cable...

Next job was mounting the projector screen. Two of the fixings go straight into a joist, the other two are into wooden battens inserted behind the plasterboard. It's very solid - you can hang off it.

Big hole for Lutron lighting controller...

Next job... Remove the archway. I just -hate- archways!

Screen test and framework on the ceiling for the soffit.

Cables back to the rack location.

Fireplace boxed in - we're going to put a plant or ornament or something in there.

Plaster time! The plastering will take four separate visits due to the way I've assembled it.

These images are from day one...

Cross section of the soffit construction...

That's all for now - I've caught up to real time. All the above was done over the past five days. I'll post daily from now on!

Last edited:

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Big wall after plastering but before final trowelling.

Finished...

Window Recess...

De-arching...

Last edited:

stevelup

Distinguished Member
I built a box for the projector, but it was massive. Really didn't like it...

... so it didn't last long. I've now just got a flat platform and I'll mount the PJ on that...

The framework to support the pelmet arround the screen was interesting as I had nothing to fix the trailing edge to due to the screen slot. This seemed solid enough in the end...

Not one single piece of wood that I bought has been straight. It has made the whole process very frustrating.

Beads and scrim tape on. Putting the beads on highlighted that there were quite a few places where my lack of carpentry skills were problematic. I really should have used string or a laser level or something...

Much fettling was required...

Last edited:

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Paint, lighting and radiators complete. Final clean up this weekend, ready for carpet on Monday.

Nearly there!

Projector mounted. That took a bit of lateral thinking... Ended up making a base which matched the outline of the projector, and hinging it at the back. It's then fixed with a single nut and bolt at the front.

Last edited:

Bryn1

Subscribed: This looks like it could be similar to what I have planned for later in the year so good luck with it all buddy.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Cheers - I've posted todays pictures above. Despite a lot of hard work by the plasterer, there's nothing much to report!

CableGuy

Looking great. Subscribed. :)

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Whilst Screwfix's own brand power tools seem good enough, I find the quality of the 'consumables' crappy.

When I started this project, I bought a pack of three Erbauer impact driver bits. May I quote..

Forged, double-ended tip for greater impact resistance and a longer lifetime. Specially designed for use with impact drivers.

Well, all three of them had shattered by Monday. So I bought a box of 25 DeWalt ones instead thinking that these things are clearly consumable, and it's reasonable to expect them to get eaten up.

Er. No. I'm still on my -first- replacement DeWalt bit. The three cost me £2 - so 66p each. The 25 cost £10 - so 40p each. I was daft to buy the three in the first place.

In another frenzy of tight-arsedness, I bought an Erbauer router bit for cutting a kitchen worktop instead of shelling out an extra fiver for a Trend one.

It was blunt after two cuts.

I think I have -finally- learned my lesson now.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Shouldn't keep talking to myself... That's it until the weekend now - got to earn a living...

Current plan of attack is:-

This Weekend: finish off the boarding out, do the remaining wall chases
Monday: radiators being delivered
Mon/Tue/Wed Evenings: get some of the mist coat on
Thursday: radiators being fitted*
Friday: plasterer booked again

I suspect the plasterer will not get all the remaining stuff done on Friday - there's a lot left to do at that point, and most of it is fiddly stuff, so one more visit will be needed into the following week before the fun stuff really starts :)

* I was going to do this myself. I can just about -do- plumbing, but I really don't enjoy it and am not very good at it. The chap who came out to disconnect the gas supply for me was very professional and inexpensive, so I decided to get him to do it.

Plasma Dan

Whilst Screwfix's own brand power tools seem good enough, I find the quality of the 'consumables' crappy.

When I started this project, I bought a pack of three Erbauer impact driver bits. May I quote..

Forged, double-ended tip for greater impact resistance and a longer lifetime. Specially designed for use with impact drivers.

Well, all three of them had shattered by Monday. So I bought a box of 25 DeWalt ones instead thinking that these things are clearly consumable, and it's reasonable to expect them to get eaten up.

Er. No. I'm still on my -first- replacement DeWalt bit. The three cost me £2 - so 66p each. The 25 cost £10 - so 40p each. I was daft to buy the three in the first place.

In another frenzy of tight-arsedness, I bought an Erbauer router bit for cutting a kitchen worktop instead of shelling out an extra fiver for a Trend one.

It was blunt after two cuts.

I think I have -finally- learned my lesson now.
Yeah I've already had two replacement blades in my saw, and a new drive belt. However It still works. :p

No you can't skimp on consumables. The best impact bits I've found are the 'Milwaukee Shockwave Impact'. I use them with my Torx Fast set, they last ages. :smashin:

Milwaukee Shockwave Impact Screwdriver Bit Set PZ2 x 50mm - Toolstation

They're dirt cheap for what you get. :censored:

Dan.

hughconway

Standard Member
Look great :) that last photo you posted of the replastered archway seems to be out of sequence as it still has the coving and none of the soffit from earlier pictures?!

stevelup

Distinguished Member
That's the view from my study looking into the lounge. The study still has coving and artex. A future project!

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Well, nearly there... Big clean up this weekend ready for the carpets on Monday.

Images in Post 3 ^^^

Need to buy some tarpaulins so I can put the furniture outside - literally nowhere else for it to go whilst the carpet is being done!

Bryn1

All looking really smart should look the business once the carpet is down, just out of curiosity Steve what are the dimensions of the room (not including the window recess just the oblong) just trying gauge against my room.

Cheers
Bryn.

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Projector is up. That was a feat of cunning in the end - not sure I've seen one mounted like this before... Works a treat though!

Pics at the end of post #3

Harkon321

Interesting projector mount. Its nicer than a lot of mounts I've seen. Hope those hinges are up to the job.

Room looks really nice. Soffit lighting etc is one of the first I've seen that I really like. Don't know if that me coming round to the idea or the way you've done yours.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

LG SIGNATURE OLED R TV now available in South Korea
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Oppo launches S1 and R1 4K smart TVs
  • By Andy Bassett