New Living Room Cinema Project - Advice Needed

kerwyn83

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am currently planning a home-cinema in my new apartment and am looking for some advice for the same.

Currently I have a stereo system (Monitor Audio GS20 with Advance Acoustic amp). In the new setup I would like to have a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 system. As the main amp I picked the Yamaha RX-A 2080.

I have been listening to various speakers and currently lean towards either keeping the GS20 or moving to the new KEF R series or Monitor Audio Gold series.

As for the setup I planned the following and would like to hear your thoughts on it. The couch will be either against the back wall or slightly in front of the wall (listening position approx. 2 feet away from the back wall).

Blue circles: Atmos ceiling speakers (possibly Monitor Audio CP-CT150 or CP-CT260)
Yellow circle: listening position
Rear speakers: Monitor Audio Soundframe 1
Screen: 100" or 110" Magic Screen Reference
Beamer: Optoma UHD3000A

The living room is open towards the kitchen and corridor. As seen in the picture, I have planned curtains that can be closed to keep the light out of the home cinema area as well as to improve acoustics and absorb some of the noise.

Will 2 or 4 Atmos speakers would be better in my situation?
What do you think about the general layout and the choice for the rear and ceiling speakers?
Where would be a good place to put the subwoofer, or can I live without one?

living room set up plan.PNG

I opted for 5.1.2 in my room (3.8/4m); I didn't think I had the length to justify additional ceiling speakers, and I don't regret my choice.

I'd certainly get a sub; you can decide on placement by seeing how it sounds as you move around the room. Practicality may dictate the position - mine's on a shelf behind the screen.

I'd agree regarding the sub.

You can download Room Eq Wizard for free. It has a 'room sim' feature which you can use to work out where would be the acoustically optimal place for the sub. You just need to enter room dimensions etc.

Thanks for the answers. I checked out Room Eq Wizard. I could place the sub potentially between the sofa and the wall, which results in the following picture. Not sure, however, how to find the ideal position with the tool.

upload_2019-1-17_22-8-14.png

Just move the sub around on the picture to possible positions and see what yields the flattest response below the crossover point.

Try especially to avoid places that result in dips. Peaks can be dealt with by room eq, but dips can't.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom