New lip synch issue: Sky+ HD, Pan TX-L37G20B TV, Pan SC-BT222EB Blue Ray/Amp

AliJC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Please help. I realise there are numerous threads on Sky Lip Synching issues, but none seem to be the problem I am experiencing.

I have a Sky+ HD box connected via HDMI to my Panasonic TX-L37G20B LCD TV, which is connected via HDMI to my Panasonic SC-BT222EB Blue ray player/home cinema amp.

When watching Sky and using the home cinema for sound the lip synch issue arises over a period of time (about 5 minutes). It starts off fine, then progressively gets worse. The Blue ray player allows me to change the lip synch delay, which fixes it for five minutes before it becomes noticeable again.

I've tried fast forwarding, rewinding, stopping and restarting the Sky program to no avail.

I tried connecting the Sky+ HD box directly to the home cinema (Aux) via audio cables. But if I set the home cinema to play from Aux, then switch the TV to HDMI 1 (Sky) the home cinema reverts to Arc (TV HDMI connection).

If I watch the TV directly with sound through the home cinema (this is also Arc/HDMI 1), taking the Sky+ HD box out of the equation, the lip synch is fine.

If I watch a DVD the lip synch is fine.

My last choice is to link the Sky+ HD box directly to the home cinema using a Digital Audio lead, but my concern is that these leads cost more money and I think will result in the same problem I have with the Aux connection.

Can anyone explain what the issue is and what I need to do to resolve it?

Many thanks

Ali

My last choice is to link the Sky+ HD box directly to the home cinema using a Digital Audio lead, but my concern is that these leads cost more money and I think will result in the same problem I have with the Aux connection.

"Digital Audio lead"? If you are talking about an optical cable or single co-ax cable, these cost peanuts! They will also solve your problem.

The Aux connection is analogue and at best will only give you Dolby Pro Logic, not Dolby 5.1.

The audio coming out of the Sky box, via HDMI, is stereo only.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome too AVF.
The only way to get full advantage of any 5:1 audio that the Sky machine produces is to connect it direct to the amplifier by optical cable - which costs about a pound.
As S N says, the HDMI output socket produces no more than stereo, whether you connect that direct to the amplifier, or to the TV and then back by HDMI ARC to the amplifier.
Logi

Thank you Stevenage Neil and Logi

Yes, I mean optical cable. Thanks for clearing that up, although the optical cables I looked at were about £25, so I think I should shop around!

I'll get on the case and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Ali

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I just wanted to reply to say the optical cable has arrived, has been installed, and there are no longer any lip syncing issues. Thanks again Logi and Stevenage Neil!

Good to hear we got you there - thanks for letting us know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom