Question New LGCX65 & Sky Q

maybe I’m wrong on the bandwidth thing, I’m not that tech savvy but I’m currently watching Villa V Palace on BBC 1 HD, it’s honestly sh*te compared to what I’ve been used to in the past.
mill update once I’ve spoke to sky
Honestly there something wrong in your set up.It looked fantastic on my tv.I’ve no softness at all.In reality being upscaled to 4k should give you a 4k like image.I know my tv does this.Is your TV set up right.Can you have a play with it.Could it a be a fault with your tv.I wished you could veiw my tv in HD.BBC is not rubbish it’s simply stunning in HD.Don’t laugh but Strictly has the most eye popping colours and is so sharp not soft on my tv.The only way I can describe it is it’s like looking through the window it’s that crisp and clear.I can’t be the only one with excellent HD.

Last edited:
Honestly there something wrong in your set up.It looked fantastic on my tv.I’ve no softness at all.In reality being upscaled to 4k should give you a 4k like image.I know my tv does this.Is your TV set up right.Can you have a play with it.Could it a be a fault with your tv.I wished you could veiw my tv in HD.BBC is not rubbish it’s simply stunning in HD.Don’t laugh but Strictly has the most eye popping colours and is so sharp not soft on my tv.The only way I can describe it is it’s like looking through the window it’s that crisp and clear.I can’t be the only one with excellent HD.
I don't think there is a problem I just think people expect more of an upgrade. It does depend on the show too, strictly does look good but others like match of the day look crap. What looks good to you might not be what someone else is expecting. My mate said the same as you when he bought a new TV he said it was clear like looking through a window and it really wasn't lol. My TV has been pro calibrated and sky still isn't brilliant as I've previously stated I've gone through 5 sky q boxes and all have had the same quality which is like it is now. The masked singer now for instance looks crap in my eyes on itv. I'm not for one moment calling you blind or the quality you see is not what you are saying but I just think maybe the op thinks 8 years between TVs there should be a bigger difference. It has been all over sky forums that the q boxes are softer than the old hd boxes. What picture settings are you using

Please look at this images just taken on itv HD.They arent paused and are taken live with ipad.In real life they look even better.You cant really fault them for quality and sharpness.
556D3590-0014-45DF-B855-D2301F908066.jpeg
1FB586A4-6044-4272-AD3C-EF5CF617E7F0.jpeg
19BBE297-1115-4B4E-BE7F-060EE0635CB8.jpeg

I use ISF Brightroom.Trumotion turned off I don’t need it.OLED light 40 and all enhancements turned off so no noise reduction or anything like that.Took me quite a while to get everything as I like it but I’m happy with it.Even had a new panel last Christmas due to banding after a 2000 hour pixel refresh.New panel was perfect and same settings were bang on.So technically my E7 is only 12 months old now.
Funny you said Masked Singer looked crap.Looks great on my tv above.

Last edited:
Please look at this images just taken on itv HD.They arent paused and are taken live with ipad.In real life they look even better.You cant really fault them for quality and sharpness.View attachment 1429563View attachment 1429564View attachment 1429565
Mate mine look the same as yours and to me it looks crap compared to streamed stuff 1080 netflix is better than anything sky put out it's not bad it's not brilliant, but I get the ops point and can see his confusion when Amazon etc looks better than Sky but the thing is sky is worse quality usually than Amazon and Netflix etc

Attachments

• 20201226_212240.jpg
    20201226_212240.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201226_212210.jpg
    20201226_212210.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20201226_212501.jpg
    20201226_212501.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 72
It's an old thread I get that but that is from here and a quick Google will get you posts from other sites about the same thing.

I think mine looks a bit sharper.Is your tv 65 inch.Mines 55 inch and that could give a small improvement to how sharp the image is,A bigger screen can make a difference.
My point with the ops HD problem is saying it’s rubbish.It’s not rubbish it’s actually good.If your spoilt by something that looks better then your eyes will become use to that.
UHD isn’t as bigger jump as HD was from SD but is noticeably more detailed and sharper but I’ve seen a good HD film beat a poor UHD film on Sky Q which was probably upscaled UHD so optimised instead of proper UHD.
I would say if HD is rubbish on an OLED then something is wrong it’s not that bad.At the end of the day HD gives me just as mugh joy as UHD as they are both great quality on my tv.I don’t expect HD to look like UHD but could happily watch HD as your eyes adjust to the quality.UHD football is ultra sharp and yes I see a differenc.If watching like say the Villa game on BBC today I don’t compare them I enjoy the quality of the HD image.After a few mins engrossed in the game then you forget it’s HD.I think some people just sitting scanning the image for faults instead of enjoying what they watch.My tv and Sky Q give me everything I need.I’m 56 so have many years of tv under my belt and I’ve always been a tv enthusiast I love my TVs,As for Sky I’ve had it over 30 years from day one so I do have a knowledge of things to compare.

I think mine looks a bit sharper.Is your tv 65 inch.Mines 55 inch and that could give a small improvement to how sharp the image is,A bigger screen can make a difference.
My point with the ops HD problem is saying it’s rubbish.It’s not rubbish it’s actually good.If your spoilt by something that looks better then your eyes will become use to that.
UHD isn’t as bigger jump as HD was from SD but is noticeably more detailed and sharper but I’ve seen a good HD film beat a poor UHD film on Sky Q which was probably upscaled UHD so optimised instead of proper UHD.
I would say if HD is rubbish on an OLED then something is wrong it’s not that bad.At the end of the day HD gives me just as mugh joy as UHD as they are both great quality on my tv.I don’t expect HD to look like UHD but could happily watch HD as your eyes adjust to the quality.UHD football is ultra sharp and yes I see a differenc.If watching like say the Villa game on BBC today I don’t compare them I enjoy the quality of the HD image.After a few mins engrossed in the game then you forget it’s HD.I think some people just sitting scanning the image for faults instead of enjoying what they watch.My tv and Sky Q give me everything I need.I’m 56 so have many years of tv under my belt and I’ve always been a tv enthusiast I love my TVs,As for Sky I’ve had it over 30 years from day one so I do have a knowledge of things to compare.
Different cameras will give different results you have iPad I have Samsung your settings too are different to mine. I couldn't care less really about my picture as I know and what has been proven sky pq is low compared to other services which is the Ops issue. I'm happy with my setup too but I can still say sky looks worse. Maybe I don't see it as I've not had sky for over 30 years and I'm not experienced enough I don't know or maybe because my eyes are younger I see a image different who knows. You are happy, I'm happy, the OP hopefully will be happy knowing it's not his set up but sky. What's rubbish to him might not be rubbish to you, there is no common denomination for rubbish my mum thinks her 2014 4k TV in vivid looks the bee's knees she sees mine and it's muted by comparison as it's calibrated and she hates it
you also say you don't see Judder when that is a problem of all OLEDs it's just you don't notice it whilst others might and do

I’ve just put my 1080p 32 inch tv on in my bedroom and it’s a good one.I have a mini box in there.I can confirm my E7 in the living room has a better HD picture.Even when upgrading from my Sky HD box to Sky Q I saw no loss in quality at all although I did change my V1 box to a V2 box which to me did give a better quality HD image.
Hey we all have different vision dont we.Some are sensitive to motion but I’m not.
Less of the sarkyness Mr Colliepops with the age lol.
I don’t wear glasses I never have and I have great vision I’m an HGV driver so need it
I want to go 65 inch but worry it might soften my HD image and I really like the sound from the E7.I use a soundbar for movies and football but the E7 speakers are really good.I’m sad they dropped the E model.

Last edited:
I've a 32 inch Samsung picture frame TV with my mini box so I've a 2020 qled TV in the bedroom and my C9 looks better but still by modern standards looks only ok. the mini box again the mini box is only streaming and using whatever bitrate sky use to stream to the minibox. The issue isn't your pic looks good. The OP was expecting a bigger jump than probably he realised I guarantee the quality difference between yours, his and mine will be negligible it's just what each of us perceives as good.
Checkout the Amazon app or netflix app via the TV app and then the same apps through sky and the pq of the interfaces are worse than the TV apps. Yes it's still watchable and readable but the difference can be seen

You've gone from a 55" 1080p Sony LCD to 65" LG 4K OLED, that will explain most of the different you're seeing in normal broadcast channels. Just the bigger size difference will expose some quality issues. But the OLED demands better quality source inputs otherwise it doesn't always look as good, and LG's upscaling isn't the best, despite what any reviewer's test card states.

You may also find the SkyQ box when set to 2160p gives a very soft image unless it's true 4K which hardly anything is. The only 4k that looks really good is on Netflix/Amazon. For this reason I set the output from SkyQ box to 1080p and let the TV upscale; it gives a sharper image. And IMO, don't be afraid to adjust the sharpness - 0 usually softens the image and makes it look like SD to me.

On my Philips 65 OLED the freeview tuner channels look slightly better than SKY Q on the same channel, but the SkyQ still does look very good on it.

You've gone from a 55" 1080p Sony LCD to 65" LG 4K OLED, that will explain most of the different you're seeing in normal broadcast channels. Just the bigger size difference will expose some quality issues. But the OLED demands better quality source inputs otherwise it doesn't always look as good, and LG's upscaling isn't the best, despite what any reviewer's test card states.

You may also find the SkyQ box when set to 2160p gives a very soft image unless it's true 4K which hardly anything is. The only 4k that looks really good is on Netflix/Amazon. For this reason I set the output from SkyQ box to 1080p and let the TV upscale; it gives a sharper image. And IMO, don't be afraid to adjust the sharpness - 0 usually softens the image and makes it look like SD to me.

On my Philips 65 OLED the freeview tuner channels look slightly better than SKY Q on the same channel, but the SkyQ still does look very good on it.
Thanks for backing me up lol

hi all
ive had sky for years..and to be honest theyre quality is as shakey as the whole company lol.
content varies in picture quality by which i meen that you watch a particular program,movie it might look poor,then the next time it will be stunning.
not getting started on the occasional sound dropouts.
uhd is most of the time great,yet some movies look no better than a 1080p dvd version.
everyone will have some issues,others will claim to have non...just how it goes it seems.

My Sky Q is great all,the time.Ive got no issues with it .UHD football is pin sharp as is F1.HDR films look amazing the lighting is so good.
I think having a 55 inch tv may give a more sharp better picture. I say this because it’s always someone with a 65 inch tv saying Sky is poor quality.That’s why I’m happy with a 55 inch Oled.I’ve not one complaint against Sky.I’ve been with them from day one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom