1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New LG RZ 42PX4RV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sebulba, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sebulba

Sebulba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:
    I am new in this forum and may be some else has already posted something related to this topic. I would like to share my opinion (not expert) about the new LG plasma screen that I just got (LG RZ 42PX4RV)

I am aware about the fact that all opinions are biased and probably so is mine. I must insist that I am not an expert at all and I am only sharing with you what I feel, more than what I know, about this plasma (my first plasma BTW).

When I decided to purchase a plasma I went to many stores until I found one that had many different plasma screens on exhibition with the same source. I was fortunate enough to also find a good support to play a little with the settings of each of them (to some extent).

I compared several plasmas in the same price range (approx. 2400 euros): Panasonic 42PA50 (this was my first option at the beginning), LG RZ 42PX4RV, Philips 107FP4, Pioneer PDP-42MVE1, Samsung PD42D5, Loewe CONCEPT L42 (this is quite more expensive), Fujitsu P42VHA20, Sony KEP42M1S, Daitsu 6PDA0143, Philips 42PF9946, etc.

I found that the LG was the best in quality/price ratio. In absolute terms (the impression I got watching at the screens) the LG was also the best, although the Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony and Fujitsu were close. I don’t know for sure, but I have learnt reading different post in these forums that Panasonic has many adepts and is highly reputed and recommended and so it was my first option. However, for my inexperienced eyes LG was better (I am not considering other plasmas with 1024x765 resolution which are far more expensive, with the exception of some really “nobody knows about” manufacturers). Note that it was not a question of price, Panasonic 42PA50, in that store, was almost 100 euros cheaper.

The sources I tested were DVD with Component and progressive scan and terrestrial TV (standard) (not digital).

I finally decided to buy the LG RZ 42PX4RV. At home I fine tuned the settings and the look now is really impressive (better than my old 32” CRT Sony). If someone is interested on it, the best settings that work for me are:
    Brightness: 50
    Contrast: 50
    Color: 25
    Sharpness: 30
    XD engine: On (On TV this really improve the image)
    The rest of the settings in User.

About the audio of this TV I cannot say much since I connected it to an Onkyo TX-SR502E home cinema (also impressive I can say).

The DVD is connected through Component in progressive mode. Curiously, I found that there was not much difference between SCART and S-Video from DVD. Component is noticeably better.

I am in Spain and so I cannot know how Sky+ works with this plasma, although Canal+ (which may be equivalent) is also impressive (and it is through SCART!!).

In summary, I strongly recommend this “entry level” plasma to anyone that is thinking about buying one. I could not compare it with the previous model RZ 42PX11 and so I cannot say anything about differences between both, but probably some (if not all) of the posts that were not much favourably about this screen might be not applicable to this other model. For example, I did not notice any fast images or lip-sync problems. And, yes, futbol is great, as it is the Roland Garros and Fernando Alonso in F-1.

About cosmetic defects of pixel-problems..., not a single one. BTW, I got a three years full-coverage insurance included in the price (not only for factory deffects but even for drops and accidents).

Nevertheless, please remember that this opinion is from an inexpert in the field. Probably, there are many other considerations I did not paid attention to.

Best wishes. Sorry for the large post. :oops:

2. Dimas

Dimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Totally agree!!
    This plasma is great. Its PQ is excellent :thumbsup: , much better than the Pannys that so many people in this forum are so proud of :devil: .

Enjoy it

Cheers

3. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    perhaps you would like to share where you have seen it and in which way you think that it is much better then the panny....anyone can just make statements saying something is much better

4. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this model have glass or the film filter?

6. Dimas

Dimas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. RDV

RDV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everybody. A first time poster here.

I read all the posts here to help me decide whether or not to get the PX11 (thank you all for helping me make the decision), and went off to the store here in Amsterdam to get it. Turns out, the PX11 is being discontinued by LG (hence the increasingly lower prices) and is being replaced by the 42PX?DV series. So, many questions and demonstrations later, I walked out with the 42PX4DV.

It was delivered today, and wow!!!!!!!!............it is awesome!!!

Hooked it up (Sky Digital to AV1, VCR->DVD->AV2, Audio Out -> AMP) and have absolutely no problems. PQ out the box was good, but with small adjustments to colour, contrast etc.....its now fantastic. Did not even need to go into the Service Menu.

The LG rep told me that this model was released as an enhancement of the PX11, and with a host of other features that you can read about on the LG website............and I must say, all my fears have been proven unfounded.

8. augur

augur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am really interested in this model, thus I wondered if somebody could post some pictures (running or not) and/or make some new comments on it (how it performs with videogames, pchc, difference between YUV and HDMI...).
    :lease:
    Thanks.

9. feritc

feritc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear friends,

I am planning to buy a plasma tv. Now I am feeling very stupid because I every single plasma tv dealer and they confused more.

I am an engineer and I am very familiar to work with the specs and really I couldn't understand the specs of this technology. How can be 10000:1 contrast and 3000:1 contrast at same level of devices. For color specs, I have also the same confusion.

Finally I will choose LG LG 42PX4RV or Panasonic PA50. I need you advice deeply.

Thanx

10. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased this LG 42PX4dv, I have spent three months trying to
    decide from Panasonic's Samsung's and the like.

My observation, A visual shock and awe, once I had set it up and connected the
    peripherals, and the fact I can control the beast with "one" remote, was the icing on the cake.

Go for it!. :smashin: