New LG IDTV - only finds BBC Channels.....

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mwhorley, Jan 7, 2003.

1. mwhorley

mwhorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,

On my recommendation the in-laws bought a 28" LG Widescreen (28FZ11) with built in digital.
    However when we auto or manually search for Digital channels it can only find the BBC Channels like 1,2,Choice, CBBC etc.

I've been told it may been down to the fact that their aerial may need upgrading to receive all the free to air digital channels.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the likely problem or could there be another reason.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mike.

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    I would investigate (via a Google search or suitable website) what frequencies are used for the other multiplexes. Then , depending on the LG menu system, you may be able to manually get the other muxes tuned in & stored.
    Also there may well be an LG helpline that could assist.
    For my Grundig IDTV I found there was a separate phone number for their IDTVs and Digital boxes - with staff that knew what they were talking about :)

I assume you've done the postcode check to confirm that the channels are receiveable in your in-laws' area.

A good place to start might be

http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/index.html

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Dont give up entirely if the postcode checker says the signal is not good enough. It said my mother could not DTT but I stuck a box in any way and she could get all the FreeView Channels no problem.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A postcode check said my area was useless and so it was with the standard aerial. But, when I checked, the muxes were mostly outside the band used by the local analogue transmitter. Changing the aerial to a wideband (with more elements to maintain the gain) did the trick.

Also insisted that the installer used double-shielded copper satellite cable, of course, with no wall plate.

Fman

P.s. nice to see the famous Chris Muriel here. I'm still waiting for your review of the latest 10,000 new Digital satellite receivers. ;-)

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    Certainly a better and/or wideband antenna may help. I was fisrt wondering if the LG had a way to add channels if you knew the centre frequency of the multiplex.

As for my Digital satellite FAQ, when I get around to the next revision, it won't feature new receivers but will be updated on technology changes along with what can be achieved with PCI satellite cards (I have 2 in this PC) .
    I may also add what radio (or TV) amateurs are beginning to do (there's a German MPEG encoder etc. being debugged right now so Amateur TV will eventually go digital too).

Chris Muriel, Manchester (still feedhunting & satellite DX-ing).